website statistics

Wrestling 2017 Discussion Thread

George_D

• 3 weeks later...

Rumors say UWW is into some revolutionary changes , if their board approves this we wlil have 3 major changes

1. Increasing the number of weights per style to 10. still only 6 will be at the Olympics.

2. 2 day tournaments, means semis and finals will be held on the second day

3. Same day weigh-in !

Specially the 3rd is a big big change, at the moment we have weight-in one day before the competition, which let wrestlers to cut huge weights. for example wrestlers at 65kg category are usually 70kg or more in the competition day.

• 3 weeks later...

Iran will host the freestyle World Cup in two weeks, the best 8 teams from the 2016 Olympics including USA were invited to the event. but since dumbass Trump banned Iranians from entering the USA, Iran did the same. in past few days we were expecting them to make an exception for the US wrestling team but surprisingly today they said NO and US team can't enter Iran ! :(

this is really disappointing, I won't surprise if UWW cancels the tournament since there is no time left to change the host.

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Iran will host the freestyle World Cup in two weeks, the best 8 teams from the 2016 Olympics including USA were invited to the event. but since dumbass Trump banned Iranians from entering the USA, Iran did the same. in past few days we were expecting them to make an exception for the US wrestling team but surprisingly today they said NO and US team can't enter Iran ! :(

this is really disappointing, I won't surprise if UWW cancels the tournament since there is no time left to change the host.

Just came to this thread to post the exact same thing.. 

I was reading the Iranian wrestling federation had been trying a lot to get the politicians to allow the Americans to compete? I wish the politicians had some balls and would just say "Look, Trump's an asshole, but we're not going to lower ourselves to his standards, so everyone is welcome!".. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Just came to this thread to post the exact same thing.. 

I was reading the Iranian wrestling federation had been trying a lot to get the politicians to allow the Americans to compete? I wish the politicians had some balls and would just say "Look, Trump's an asshole, but we're not going to lower ourselves to his standards, so everyone is welcome!".. 

Yes I was expecting the same, at least based on previous news. American wrestlers are usually quite popular here and always welcomed , I'm sure even our wrestling federation didn't expect such answer from the government but apparently since yesterday they will go as "an eye for an eye" policy against Trump. yesterday USA announced Iran Archery team can't go there for the World Cup in USA (they already had their visa) on 10 February. they are saying "we didn't start this, they did"

Edited by MHSN

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 12:00, MHSN said:

Yes I was expecting the same, at least based on previous news. American wrestlers are usually quite popular here and always welcomed , I'm sure even our wrestling federation didn't expect such answer from the government but apparently since yesterday they will go as "an eye for an eye" policy against Trump. yesterday USA announced Iran Archery team can't go there for the World Cup in USA (they already had their visa) on 10 February. they are saying "we didn't start this, they did"

To update on this: the Iranian foreign ministry has now (well, last week) said American wrestlers are welcome again, right? That's good news :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!