website statistics

Swimming 2017 Discussion Thread

George_D

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I doubt it :p 

Last year Manaudou had 21 50m freestyle races, only 7 of those were slower than 22 seconds (and most of them in heats or pre-season) :d 

Although yeah, in theory it could have been possible. Still a nice result though. 

most of these finalists have their PB around 21" too :bye:

manaudou got the silver only in rio 50m for 21",41 , and didn't qualify for the 100m

he is not strong anymore

Edited by bestmen

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dareza said:

12 months suspension for Thomas Fraser-Holmes

After missing 3 tests. The 3rd one of which coming when he went to have dinner at his mom's house and got home too late to be back in time at the 1 hour period he had said he'd be home, moron :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, dareza said:

Do you know Dutch team for world cahmpionship? I am very curious . @heywoodu 

The most recent I could find is from April:

• Femke Heemskerk

100m en 200m vrije slag

• Kira Toussaint

50m rugslag

• Maaike de Waard

50m rugslag, 50m vlinderslag

• Marrit Steenbergen

200m vrije slag

• Ranomi Kromowidjojo

50m en 100m vrije slag, 50m vlinderslag

• Maud van der Meer

estafette(s)

• Kim Busch

estafette(s)

• Robin Neumann

estafette(s)

• Esmee Vermeulen

estafette(s)

• Marjolein Delno

estafette(s)

• Arno Kamminga

50m schoolslag, 200m schoolslag

• Jesse Puts

50m vrije slag

• Mathys Goosen

50m vlinderslag

• Ferry Weertman

estafette(s)

• Kyle Stolk

estafette(s)

• Maarten Brzoskowski

estafette(s)

• Stan Pijnenburg

estafette(s)

• Ben Schwietert

estafette(s)

Vrije slag = freestyle

Rugslag = backstroke

Vlinderslag = butterfly

Schoolslag = breaststroke

Estafette = relay

There's also this about the Dutch teams for the two Mare Nostrum meets and the Sette Colli, where it says the Dutch WCh team will go there, but I don't think all those names are in the WCh team :d 

https://www.knzb.nl/actueel/nieuws/bericht/1000038993/wk_ploeg_in_actie_op_internationale_toernooien_in_barcelona__canet_en_rome/

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The most recent I could find is from April:

Vrije slag = freestyle

Rugslag = backstroke

Vlinderslag = butterfly

Schoolslag = breaststroke

Estafette = relay

There's also this about the Dutch teams for the two Mare Nostrum meets and the Sette Colli, where it says the Dutch WCh team will go there, but I don't think all those names are in the WCh team :d 

https://www.knzb.nl/actueel/nieuws/bericht/1000038993/wk_ploeg_in_actie_op_internationale_toernooien_in_barcelona__canet_en_rome/

I guess that Marrit Steenbergen will participate at EJC before this world championship. She is huge favorite in 50,100 and 200. Nyls Korstanje is also big talent.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb dareza:

I guess that Marrit Steenbergen will participate at EJC before this world championship. She is huge favorite in 50,100 and 200. Nyls Korstanje is also big talent.

How is she the huge favorite? Did Kesely decide to not compete? And what about Anderson (100 free) and Gose (200 free)?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

How is she the huge favorite? Did Kesely decide to not compete? And what about Anderson (100 free) and Gose (200 free)?

Kesely on 200 yes, but I don't think that Andreson and Gose can beat her.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb dareza:

Kesely on 200 yes, but I don't think that Andreson and Gose can beat her.

You seem to be one of the very few users here who are interested in swimming outside of world championships/olympics, so you might have a use for it:

https://www.usaswimming.org/Home/times/data-hub

(Here you can find world rankings by age/date of birth)

For example Steenbergen is currently 5th in the 50 free world rankings of all girls born in 2000 or later (0.03 behind Anderson), 3rd in the 100 free (only behind Ikee and Oleksiak) and 5th in the 200 free (behind Ikee and 3 chinese girls, but Ruck and Oleksiak should also be able to go faster).

BTW: Have a look at the womens 100 free world rankings for girls born in 2000 or later ... the depth of the canadian girls is crazy (53.84 Oleksiak, 54.62 Sanchez, 54.97 Smith, 55.03 Ruck), if they all compete at the junior world championships, then they should absolutely destroy the junior world record in the 400 free relay and i think only Canada might be able to challenge Australia in 2020.

I probably agree about Anderson beating her in the 100 free, but the 50 free might be a different story and Gose improved her PB to 1:59.12 this year without even having tapered, so you would expect that she is able to go a lot faster at the german nationals next week, hopefully at least sub 1:58 (which would be a great time for a 14 year old). Last year she dropped 1.6s at the german nationals.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

German 200/400 free "star" Florian Vogel announced his retirement on Friday, at the age of 22 ...

Sadly i have to say that you have to be pretty crazy to train multiple hours a day as a german swimmer, because you will have a clear disadvantage in your career later on and you basically don't earn anything, so this is probably a smart decision, but a huge blow for german swimming, considering that he was by far the best german 200/400 free swimmer. Now the situation in men's 200/400 free seems to be pretty hopeless without Vogel and Biedermann.