Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
George_D

Swimming 2017 Discussion Thread

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I doubt it :p 

Last year Manaudou had 21 50m freestyle races, only 7 of those were slower than 22 seconds (and most of them in heats or pre-season) :d 

Although yeah, in theory it could have been possible. Still a nice result though. 

most of these finalists have their PB around 21" too :bye:

manaudou got the silver only in rio 50m for 21",41 , and didn't qualify for the 100m

he is not strong anymore

Edited by bestmen

12 months suspension for Thomas Fraser-Holmes

1 hour ago, dareza said:

12 months suspension for Thomas Fraser-Holmes

After missing 3 tests. The 3rd one of which coming when he went to have dinner at his mom's house and got home too late to be back in time at the 1 hour period he had said he'd be home, moron :facepalm:

Do you know Dutch team for world cahmpionship? I am very curious . @heywoodu 

2 minutes ago, dareza said:

Do you know Dutch team for world cahmpionship? I am very curious . @heywoodu 

The most recent I could find is from April:

• Femke Heemskerk

100m en 200m vrije slag

• Kira Toussaint

50m rugslag

• Maaike de Waard

50m rugslag, 50m vlinderslag

• Marrit Steenbergen

200m vrije slag

• Ranomi Kromowidjojo

50m en 100m vrije slag, 50m vlinderslag

• Maud van der Meer

estafette(s)

• Kim Busch

estafette(s)

• Robin Neumann

estafette(s)

• Esmee Vermeulen

estafette(s)

• Marjolein Delno

estafette(s)

• Arno Kamminga

50m schoolslag, 200m schoolslag

• Jesse Puts

50m vrije slag

• Mathys Goosen

50m vlinderslag

• Ferry Weertman

estafette(s)

• Kyle Stolk

estafette(s)

• Maarten Brzoskowski

estafette(s)

• Stan Pijnenburg

estafette(s)

• Ben Schwietert

estafette(s)

Vrije slag = freestyle

Rugslag = backstroke

Vlinderslag = butterfly

Schoolslag = breaststroke

Estafette = relay

There's also this about the Dutch teams for the two Mare Nostrum meets and the Sette Colli, where it says the Dutch WCh team will go there, but I don't think all those names are in the WCh team :d 

https://www.knzb.nl/actueel/nieuws/bericht/1000038993/wk_ploeg_in_actie_op_internationale_toernooien_in_barcelona__canet_en_rome/

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The most recent I could find is from April:

Vrije slag = freestyle

Rugslag = backstroke

Vlinderslag = butterfly

Schoolslag = breaststroke

Estafette = relay

There's also this about the Dutch teams for the two Mare Nostrum meets and the Sette Colli, where it says the Dutch WCh team will go there, but I don't think all those names are in the WCh team :d 

https://www.knzb.nl/actueel/nieuws/bericht/1000038993/wk_ploeg_in_actie_op_internationale_toernooien_in_barcelona__canet_en_rome/

I guess that Marrit Steenbergen will participate at EJC before this world championship. She is huge favorite in 50,100 and 200. Nyls Korstanje is also big talent.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb dareza:

I guess that Marrit Steenbergen will participate at EJC before this world championship. She is huge favorite in 50,100 and 200. Nyls Korstanje is also big talent.

How is she the huge favorite? Did Kesely decide to not compete? And what about Anderson (100 free) and Gose (200 free)?

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

How is she the huge favorite? Did Kesely decide to not compete? And what about Anderson (100 free) and Gose (200 free)?

Kesely on 200 yes, but I don't think that Andreson and Gose can beat her.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb dareza:

Kesely on 200 yes, but I don't think that Andreson and Gose can beat her.

You seem to be one of the very few users here who are interested in swimming outside of world championships/olympics, so you might have a use for it:

https://www.usaswimming.org/Home/times/data-hub

(Here you can find world rankings by age/date of birth)

For example Steenbergen is currently 5th in the 50 free world rankings of all girls born in 2000 or later (0.03 behind Anderson), 3rd in the 100 free (only behind Ikee and Oleksiak) and 5th in the 200 free (behind Ikee and 3 chinese girls, but Ruck and Oleksiak should also be able to go faster).

BTW: Have a look at the womens 100 free world rankings for girls born in 2000 or later ... the depth of the canadian girls is crazy (53.84 Oleksiak, 54.62 Sanchez, 54.97 Smith, 55.03 Ruck), if they all compete at the junior world championships, then they should absolutely destroy the junior world record in the 400 free relay and i think only Canada might be able to challenge Australia in 2020.

I probably agree about Anderson beating her in the 100 free, but the 50 free might be a different story and Gose improved her PB to 1:59.12 this year without even having tapered, so you would expect that she is able to go a lot faster at the german nationals next week, hopefully at least sub 1:58 (which would be a great time for a 14 year old). Last year she dropped 1.6s at the german nationals.

German 200/400 free "star" Florian Vogel announced his retirement on Friday, at the age of 22 ...

Sadly i have to say that you have to be pretty crazy to train multiple hours a day as a german swimmer, because you will have a clear disadvantage in your career later on and you basically don't earn anything, so this is probably a smart decision, but a huge blow for german swimming, considering that he was by far the best german 200/400 free swimmer. Now the situation in men's 200/400 free seems to be pretty hopeless without Vogel and Biedermann.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

You seem to be one of the very few users here who are interested in swimming outside of world championships/olympics, so you might have a use for it:

https://www.usaswimming.org/Home/times/data-hub

(Here you can find world rankings by age/date of birth)

For example Steenbergen is currently 5th in the 50 free world rankings of all girls born in 2000 or later (0.03 behind Anderson), 3rd in the 100 free (only behind Ikee and Oleksiak) and 5th in the 200 free (behind Ikee and 3 chinese girls, but Ruck and Oleksiak should also be able to go faster).

BTW: Have a look at the womens 100 free world rankings for girls born in 2000 or later ... the depth of the canadian girls is crazy (53.84 Oleksiak, 54.62 Sanchez, 54.97 Smith, 55.03 Ruck), if they all compete at the junior world championships, then they should absolutely destroy the junior world record in the 400 free relay and i think only Canada might be able to challenge Australia in 2020.

I probably agree about Anderson beating her in the 100 free, but the 50 free might be a different story and Gose improved her PB to 1:59.12 this year without even having tapered, so you would expect that she is able to go a lot faster at the german nationals next week, hopefully at least sub 1:58 (which would be a great time for a 14 year old). Last year she dropped 1.6s at the german nationals.

thanks for this site :):yes

Yes, swimming is one of my favorite sport and every week I follow some meeting. This week Mare Nostrum in Monaco.

A huge difference between Crevar and other European girls on 400IM :facepalm:I don't understand how. Last year she had good strong opponents, but this time probably will win this without problem. On WJC probably fight with girls from Japan.

Edited by dareza

vor 22 Stunden schrieb dareza:

thanks for this site :):yes

Yes, swimming is one of my favorite sport and every week I follow some meeting. This week Mare Nostrum in Monaco.

A huge difference between Crevar and other European girls on 400IM :facepalm:I don't understand how. Last year she had good strong opponents, but this time probably will win this without problem. On WJC probably fight with girls from Japan.

It certainly looks as if this is a weaker generation of 400 IM talents, especially from Europe, but:

1) I am sure that some japanese/chinese/canadian/american girls will swim sub 4:40 at the junior world championships, so Crevar will have to perform at her very best if she wants to win a medal.

2) I dont think that a russian girl will come out of nowhere at the european junior championships, so Crevar could very well be the favorite, but i think some british or italian girls will be able to swim close to 4:40 by then + dont forget about Julia Mrozinski (4:42 last year, lets see what she can do at the german nationals this week).

3) Womens 400 IM in general seems to be one of the weaker events + the junior world record doesnt seem as crazy fast as some of the other junior world records + the winning times at junior world championships/youth olympics are normally not that fast either + Russia/China (who often have crazy talents), are normally not that good in womens 200/400 IM, which is certainly one of the reasons why it is easier to win a medal at junior level in this event, compared to some other events (for example womens 100 fly).

4) If you only look at the girls who are 1 year older (born in 1999), then you find a couple of very fast times:

4:36.60 for Harvey from Canada

4:37.25 for Wood from GB

So Crevar will need to drop a lot of time during the rest of the year and the beginning of next year, if she wants to keep up with those girls.

If you change the date range to 1/1/2016 to 12/31/2017, you can see that some girls born in 2000 had some really fast times last year and probably just didnt taper so far this year, so you can expect some of them to still improve this year (here are all the girls born in 2000, who had a time of sub 4:43 last year and might improve their times later on this year):

Runa Imai: 4:41.52

Anna Pirovano: 4:42.06

Julia Mrozinski: 4:42.39

Ajna Kesely: 4:42.53

I think Kesely will focus on 200/400 + maybe 800 free and i am not optimistic about Mrozinski, but i am pretty sure that at least one out of Pirovano/Imai will swim sub 4:40 later on this year.

Is Crevar still 16 years old or did she already turn 17? If she is still 16, she would be 8th in the american all-time ranking for 15/16 year olds and if she already turned 17, she would be 18th in the american all-time ranking for 17/18 year olds.

By the way: It is really fun to "play" with the junior world rankings and for example look at the world rankings only for girls born in 2002 or later.

No Missy Franklin at the world champs, she's hasn't recovered yet from a shoulder surgery. 

10 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

It certainly looks as if this is a weaker generation of 400 IM talents, especially from Europe, but:

1) I am sure that some japanese/chinese/canadian/american girls will swim sub 4:40 at the junior world championships, so Crevar will have to perform at her very best if she wants to win a medal.

2) I dont think that a russian girl will come out of nowhere at the european junior championships, so Crevar could very well be the favorite, but i think some british or italian girls will be able to swim close to 4:40 by then + dont forget about Julia Mrozinski (4:42 last year, lets see what she can do at the german nationals this week).

3) Womens 400 IM in general seems to be one of the weaker events + the junior world record doesnt seem as crazy fast as some of the other junior world records + the winning times at junior world championships/youth olympics are normally not that fast either + Russia/China (who often have crazy talents), are normally not that good in womens 200/400 IM, which is certainly one of the reasons why it is easier to win a medal at junior level in this event, compared to some other events (for example womens 100 fly).

4) If you only look at the girls who are 1 year older (born in 1999), then you find a couple of very fast times:

4:36.60 for Harvey from Canada

4:37.25 for Wood from GB

So Crevar will need to drop a lot of time during the rest of the year and the beginning of next year, if she wants to keep up with those girls.

If you change the date range to 1/1/2016 to 12/31/2017, you can see that some girls born in 2000 had some really fast times last year and probably just didnt taper so far this year, so you can expect some of them to still improve this year (here are all the girls born in 2000, who had a time of sub 4:43 last year and might improve their times later on this year):

Runa Imai: 4:41.52

Anna Pirovano: 4:42.06

Julia Mrozinski: 4:42.39

Ajna Kesely: 4:42.53

I think Kesely will focus on 200/400 + maybe 800 free and i am not optimistic about Mrozinski, but i am pretty sure that at least one out of Pirovano/Imai will swim sub 4:40 later on this year.

Is Crevar still 16 years old or did she already turn 17? If she is still 16, she would be 8th in the american all-time ranking for 15/16 year olds and if she already turned 17, she would be 18th in the american all-time ranking for 17/18 year olds.

By the way: It is really fun to "play" with the junior world rankings and for example look at the world rankings only for girls born in 2002 or later.

she was born in May 24 00. So, 17.

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

No Missy Franklin at the world champs, she's hasn't recovered yet from a shoulder surgery. 

I am really sorry for this girl :(  She could more than this.