website statistics

Swimming 2017 Discussion Thread

George_D

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

wow Pignatiello 15:59 in the 1500m, gold medal and new national record :bowdown:

The Latin Ledecky (?)

Well I think its Pignatiello's last year as a junior for record breaking purposes, and Ledecky WJR is 31 seconds quicker :p Still it's great seeing smaller swimming nations succeed

vor 17 Stunden schrieb juddy96:

Well I think its Pignatiello's last year as a junior for record breaking purposes, and Ledecky WJR is 31 seconds quicker :p Still it's great seeing smaller swimming nations succeed

Agree, its crazy to compare her to Ledecky (and i dont think that LDOG was serious about that). Ledecky already was an olympic champion when she was 2 years younger than Pignatiello is now. We also shouldnt forget that she wouldnt have medalled in the 400 free, if all the top junior (Bingjie Li, Titmus, Ruck) would have competed and in the 800 free she probably would have fought for silver against Titmus. Nevertheless her 800/1500 free times are very impressive, she would have made the final in both events at the worlds with those times and would have been close to a medal in the 1500 free. She doesnt have to improve much to have a realistic chance to make 2 finals at 2019 worlds/2020 olympics, which would probably an unprecedented performance for a 19/20 yo girl from Argentina. The only thing that concerns me is that her 1500 free time is much stronger than her 400/800 free times, which might indicate that she swims crazy volumes in trainings and might not improve much. I dont see her ever winning a medal at senior level, but the 1500 free isnt too deep, so who knows ... ?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Am 27.8.2017 um 01:54 schrieb juddy96:

Terrific results here for Canada with almost all swimmers obliterating their previous bests. Sadly Kayla Sanchez will have a hard time making national teams with her events, the majority of the senior team are juniors or swimmers that left juniors only 1 or 2 years ago.

I really underestimated the canadian team, never heard of Sanchez, Hannah, Smith, Knelson, Zavaros before this week. If Oleksiak and Ruck would have competed in all their best events, Canada would have won the medal table and probably would have come close to 20 medals. Canada has a very good chance of having being the best nation in womens swimming by 2020. Canada could have 2 finallists in most events by then, only "weak" events could be 800/1500 (maybe also 400) free and 200 fly. The depth in womens 100/200 free and 100/200 back is insane. Impossible to see Canada not winning 3 relay medals in 2020 and at least one of them (4x200 free) in gold. The mens side on the other hand ... is just very bad. Is there anyone (besides Acevedo) who might make the final in 2019 or 2020?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 18 minutos, OlympicsFan said:

Agree, its crazy to compare her to Ledecky (and i dont think that LDOG was serious about that). Ledecky already was an olympic champion when she was 2 years younger than Pignatiello is now. We also shouldnt forget that she wouldnt have medalled in the 400 free, if all the top junior (Bingjie Li, Titmus, Ruck) would have competed and in the 800 free she probably would have fought for silver against Titmus. Nevertheless her 800/1500 free times are very impressive, she would have made the final in both events at the worlds with those times and would have been close to a medal in the 1500 free. She doesnt have to improve much to have a realistic chance to make 2 finals at 2019 worlds/2020 olympics, which would probably an unprecedented performance for a 19/20 yo girl from Argentina. The only thing that concerns me is that her 1500 free time is much stronger than her 400/800 free times, which might indicate that she swims crazy volumes in trainings and might not improve much. I dont see her ever winning a medal at senior level, but the 1500 free isnt too deep, so who knows ... ?

Of course I wasn't serious, but anyway I would like to see what results Ledecky would have training in our system :p I hope this girl is drafted by american university soon, the further away she's from here the better.

The 1500 wasn't her best race... until yesterday. In fact, I was very surprised by this time, I was expecting something like 16:10 at best. I'm also surprised the american Sullivan made such a weak time here being that she made monster 15:57 just two weeks ago.

I know about the chinese girl not being here but I feel that girl's results will mysteriously get worse in a few years :whistle:

18 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I really underestimated the canadian team, never heard of Sanchez, Hannah, Smith, Knelson, Zavaros before this week. If Oleksiak and Ruck would have competed in all their best events, Canada would have won the medal table and probably would have come close to 20 medals. Canada has a very good chance of having being the best nation in womens swimming by 2020. Canada could have 2 finallists in most events by then, only "weak" events could be 800/1500 (maybe also 400) free and 200 fly. The depth in womens 100/200 free and 100/200 back is insane. Impossible to see Canada not winning 3 relay medals in 2020 and at least one of them (4x200 free) in gold. The mens side on the other hand ... is just very bad. Is there anyone (besides Acevedo) who might make the final in 2019 or 2020?

Very bad indeed. This is the worst I have ever seen the men's team. Besides Acevado there might be a surprise or two. Also there is Condorelli who may or may not come back to the national team. This is in stark contrast from the peak times in 2005-2012, where Canada won medals in sprints/long distance and relays at the WC's and Olympics.

4 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Mastromatteo might be a diamond in the rough, having just missed the 100m breaststroke final and being born in 2002. He's from a small town in Northern Ontario, so if he moves to a better training group he could definitely turn into a national team member for years to come. Gaziev also made the 50 free final here, but yes there just isn't many bright spots on our men's side right now. We only sent 4 men (and 14 athletes in total) here, but I wish we had sent more for experience.

4th place for Mona in the 200m breaststroke, so close to her third medal.

3 medals, 1 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze, 2 x 4th places, 7th place and a 6th place in the mixed medley relay. This is bizarrely good for our standards. Delighted with these performances :)

Edited by OlympicIRL

• 4 weeks later...

:CAN Canada named its 2018 Commonwealth Games team

https://swimming.ca/en/news/2017/09/26/swimming-canada-nominates-26-athletes-canadas-2018-commonwealth-games-team/

Some puzzling decisions such as using 4 less spots than allocated to swimming. Also some names are missing like Pickerm. Overall very young team.

• 2 weeks later...