Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
George_D

Track Cycling 2017 Discussion Thread

220 posts in this topic

 

Sad day at Afcon Track Champs

Cycling South Africa is saddened to report the tragic death of Egyptian cyclist Eslam Nasser Zaki while participating in the African Continental Track Cycling Championships at the Cyril Geoghegan Track in Durban today.

The incident took place during the Elite Men’s Omnium-Tempo race. 22-year-old Eslam Nasser Zaki was riding on his own when he suddenly fell off his bicycle. The medics were on hand immediately to render emergency medical assistance, but after prolonged attempts to resuscitate him, Eslam Nasser Zaki was declared dead.

Cycling South Africa expresses its deepest sympathy and sincere condolences to the family and teammates of Eslam Nasser Zaki. Every effort is being made to assist the Egyptian Cycling Team during this very tragic period.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

 

Sad day at Afcon Track Champs

Cycling South Africa is saddened to report the tragic death of Egyptian cyclist Eslam Nasser Zaki while participating in the African Continental Track Cycling Championships at the Cyril Geoghegan Track in Durban today.

The incident took place during the Elite Men’s Omnium-Tempo race. 22-year-old Eslam Nasser Zaki was riding on his own when he suddenly fell off his bicycle. The medics were on hand immediately to render emergency medical assistance, but after prolonged attempts to resuscitate him, Eslam Nasser Zaki was declared dead.

Cycling South Africa expresses its deepest sympathy and sincere condolences to the family and teammates of Eslam Nasser Zaki. Every effort is being made to assist the Egyptian Cycling Team during this very tragic period.

 

oh what a sad news. RIP :(

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and the Egyptian team announced their retirement after this incident , Ibtissam Zayed was supposed to take part in women's pursuit individual final tomorrow after shed'd led qualifications  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad news, RIP :(  I never imagined that something like this could happen...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Very sad news, RIP :(  I never imagined that something like this could happen...

he didn't die , because he felled from the bicycle , but he'd a sudden heart attack due to over efforts , his body just couldn't handle it  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was his name? Here it's Eslam Nasser Zaki, on other sites it's Islam Nasser Ragaey etc...I get Eslam/Islam, but how can Zaki/Ragaey be so different? 

 

This is just out of curiousity (and how to write his name in my article on a Dutch website), because the main thing is of course this very sad story.. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP, very sad news :(

 

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What was his name? Here it's Eslam Nasser Zaki, on other sites it's Islam Nasser Ragaey etc...I get Eslam/Islam, but how can Zaki/Ragaey be so different? 

 

This is just out of curiousity (and how to write his name in my article on a Dutch website), because the main thing is of course this very sad story.. 

 

I'm quite sure our friend "thepharoah" will explain it much better but let me tell you that's because Arabic countries mostly don't follow the western naming system.(given name + surname) their names are usually consisted of 3-4 parts or more, sometimes they refer to the person wtih 1st part, 2nd part and 3rd part, sometimes the the part, the only consistent thing is the 1st part which is the given name. (the 2nd part is the father name)

 

for example, Egypt wrestling legend is worldwide known as Karam Gaber but I also read some Egyptian media know him as Karam Ibrahim.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His name is Eslam or Islam it's the same thing Nasser Zaki Ragaey as simple as that ;)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USA vs Italy and Australia vs Canada in the semi's of the women's team pursuit at the world championships. GBR, NZL, FRA and POL still have a chance for bronze. No major surprise so far I guess. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

World Champs starts whit a surprise, Great Britain only 5th in women's pursuit!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gianlu33 said:

World Champs starts whit a surprise, Great Britain only 5th in women's pursuit!

I doubt that's really a surprise, it's not the Olympics anymore so one just can't expect GBR to be nearly as good as last year in Rio :p 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GBR goes home with 3 silver medals and 5 bronze medals by the way, according to my prediction contest results :d 


 

Spoiler

 

Which, apart from putting GBR down the rankings because it's not the Olympics, I mostly filled in like this:

 

no.jpg

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, they are going to be nowhere until Tokyo, when suddenly some technology will get them 80% of gold medals.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0