website statistics

Tennis 2017 Discussion Thread

rybak

• 2 weeks later...

What a week for WTA. After Italian Tennis Federation rejected Schiavone a wildcard citing she already had MDWC in previous two years but didn't win a single match an so far being very low ranked, she is not the most suitable person for the one. (Errani and Sharapova already awarded MDWC. What was Schiavone's respone - a title in Bogota! With 36 years and more than 9 months old she became the fourth oldest woman to win a title in the Open era. 

On the other side, a 17-year-old Czech girl Marketa Vondroušova won her first title (at her second WTA tournament in career, previous showing in Prague 2016, reaching R16) coming from qualifications.

What I can say for Marketa - I noticed her 3-4 years ago and I liked what I saw. This week she showed so matured tennis. Strong from both wings (fh and bh), great attacking and also defensive skills, variety and touch. Serve solid but also can improve. Mentally tough. Saved 13 BP in the final, several set points in second set and converted the first match point. I am impressed. 

Kontaveit improved a lot. I hope she can break in top 50 very soon. I like her game too.

So this happened during Krueger - Tiafoe at the Sarasota Challenger...

Sex sounds being heard, with people thinking it's coming from a phone....only to discover it's definitely not coming from a phone :roflmao:

Especially Tiafoe's reaction after 2 minutes: "It can't be THAT good!" :rofl:

The incredibly awkward mother very awkwardly trying to make her son cover his ears (most likely knowing very well what's going on, come on, it's the internet age) is pure comedy gold as well :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!