website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2017 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Samir Aït Saïd, the guy that many probably remember as "that gymnast who had that horrible accident during the Rio Games" has jumped back to competition this week-end during the french internationals and managed to secure its place in the final tomorrow.

He scored 14.900 points which is eactly the score he needed to be in Montréal.

Is this his first competition since Rio? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Yes

Thanks, very good to see he's back on his feet and competing after that horror injury :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 horas atrás, De_Gambassi disse:

He scored 14.900 points which is eactly the score he needed to be in Montréal.

So, has France set a minimum score for gymnasts to be chosen for the team or something like this? 14.9 is a huge score, maybe even enough for a medal at the World Championships. It's quite ambitious to set a score this high for any gymnast to be chosen for the team, especially when it comes from France, a country not known to be a powerhouse in artistic gymnastics. 

Il y a 7 heures , thiago_simoes a déclaré:

So, has France set a minimum score for gymnasts to be chosen for the team or something like this? 14.9 is a huge score, maybe even enough for a medal at the World Championships. It's quite ambitious to set a score this high for any gymnast to be chosen for the team, especially when it comes from France, a country not known to be a powerhouse in artistic gymnastics. 

Apparently, they do. Hard as steel minimum standards for qualification is becoming a mantra of french sport since the swimming federation apllied that policy in the early 2000's (and that many beleieve it leads to the great results of french swimmers during the next decade).

It's something I don't agree with, but who cares.

2 horas atrás, De_Gambassi disse:

Apparently, they do. Hard as steel minimum standards for qualification is becoming a mantra of french sport since the swimming federation apllied that policy in the early 2000's (and that many beleieve it leads to the great results of french swimmers during the next decade).

It's something I don't agree with, but who cares.

Man, this is crazy. Take Coline Devillard, for example. She scored 14.250 on vault today, which is I believe would not be enough for a medal at the World Championships (I think the bronze medal winner might score around 14.5-14.6). Should she stay home? No! Her vaults are good and she should go to Worlds. How can she improve her score? The quick and dirty way is performing more difficult vaults. But the thing is: forcing her to add more difficulty could cause a serious injury, so their ambition for medals could harm athletes and ultimately cause the entire gymnastics program to collapse if they keep being so strict. 

il y a 26 minutes, thiago_simoes a déclaré:

Man, this is crazy. Take Coline Devillard, for example. She scored 14.250 on vault today, which is I believe would not be enough for a medal at the World Championships (I think the bronze medal winner might score around 14.5-14.6). Should she stay home? No! Her vaults are good and she should go to Worlds. How can she improve her score? The quick and dirty way is performing more difficult vaults. But the thing is: forcing her to add more difficulty could cause a serious injury, so their ambition for medals could harm athletes and ultimately cause the entire gymnastics program to collapse if they keep being so strict. 

I... don't disagree. but Devillard will be in Montréal (full selection here). I can't find the full minimum standards list, but I believe they are set to have only athletes that can reach finals.

Anyway, Aït Saïd just scored 15.250 today and finished second, only beaten by Petroúnias  (15.500) :cheer: