website statistics

Weightlifting 2017 Discussion Thread

uk12points

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Apparently China might be banned from weightlfting for 12 months, according to IWF rules. Looks like IWF is trying, unlike some other federations...

Actually if they stand on their words, they have to ban Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus and few more countries too. they all have more than 3 positive cases in 2008/2012 retesting.

imaging if they really ban all those powerhouse nations ! I still think IWF will find a way to let them compete. they weren't aware thatn even China is included when they made that rule.

il y a 7 minutes, MHSN a déclaré:

Actually if they stand on their words, they have to ban Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus and few more countries too. they all have more than 3 positive cases in 2008/2012 retesting.

imaging if they really ban all those powerhouse nations ! I still think IWF will find a way to let them compete. they weren't aware thatn even China is included when they made that rule.

Considering IOC last warnings regarding the future of the sport. I don't think they can take the easy way.

4 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Considering IOC last warnings regarding the future of the sport. I don't think they can take the easy way.

Yeah good point, but if they ban Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Moldova and maybe even Turkey who is left to compete ?

but yes they have to do something, most of these countries weightlifting federations are corrupt and they really deserve such ban. speaking of banned countries, my country should also be careful about that, we had a bad record in this even though things got much better in past few years but still ... !

31 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Yeah good point, but if they ban Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Moldova and maybe even Turkey who is left to compete ?

but yes they have to do something, most of these countries weightlifting federations are corrupt and they really deserve such ban. speaking of banned countries, my country should also be careful about that, we had a bad record in this even though things got much better in past few years but still ... !

I would prefer ban those countries anyway. Specially in non-Olympic season just to show this won't be tolerated. Although there are way more corrupted federations than this short list.  If there is no other way to send this message except by having a world championships were countries like Samoa or Solomon Islands will win all of the medals - so be it.

For example situation in Lithuanian federation is just horrible: son of the head coach tested positive for doping twice, leader of the national team already served 2 years ban,  every other lifter that wins a medal  (f.e. in European championships) all of the sudden gets injured and dissapear from sport for a year while coach cross him out from national team and that makes him no longer a subject for regular testing in Lithuanian anti-doping agency and etc...

• 3 weeks later...

Some news fromt the IOC Lima session:

In respect to weightlifting, the IWF must satisfy the IOC Executive Board by December 2017, that it has plans in place to satisfy the "serious incidence" of doping in the sport and ensure the integrity in this regard and the adminisitration of its member federations.

The IWF will also be monitored with concerns reported by the IOC and WADA...

• 2 weeks later...

:IRI Sohrab Moradi broke the World Record at the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts games in men's -94kg :woot: The current Olympic gold medallist registered a total of 413kg to beat the mark set by Greece’s Akakios Kakhiasvilis as far back as November 1999 by 1kg!

Awful decision by European Weightlifting to move the European Weightlifting Chanpionships to late 2018 so that banned countries can take part! Makes a mockery of the ban, hope the IWF steps in and bans them from the 2018 European Championships whenever it is held in the year.