website statistics

Taekwondo 2017 Discussion Thread

uk12points

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than two months before the World Championships, Greece hosted the president Cup, Euro G2 tournament which is probably the toughest tournament in the world because of the huge number of participants. I think only Korea was missing ! here is the list of medalists

Men

54kg

1. :IRI Hadipour, Armin

2. :AZE Magomedov, Gashim

3. :GBR Haider, Hassan :RUS Abibilla, Azamat

58kg

1. :IRI Kazemi, Mohammad

2. :MDA Uscov, Serghei

3. :GRE Simitsis, Georgios :RUS Artamonov, Mikhail

63kg

1. :IRI Hosseini, Mirhashem

2. :GBR Sinden, Bradly

3. :CRO Brecic, Lovre :BEL Achab, Jaouad

68kg

1. :IRI Yaghoubi, Abolfazl

2. :ESP Perez Polo, Javier

3. :AZE Bahrami, Sina :BEL Ketbi, Si Mohamed

74kg

1. :RUS Khramtcov, Maksim

2. :CRO Kanaet, Toni

3. :SRB Fejzic, Damir :UZB Rafalovich, Nikita

80kg

1. :AZE Beigi, Milad

2. :TUR Sari, Yunus

3. :NOR Asp, John :MDA Cook, Aaron

87kg

1. :RUS Larin, Vladislav

2. :ESP Ros Gàmez, Daniel

3. :GER Bachmann, Alexander :TUR Yuksel, Serdar

+87kg

1. :RUS Aiukaev, Rafail

2. :AZE Isaev, Radik

3. :IRI Mardani, Sajjad :UKR Shelest, Mykhailo

Women

46kg

1. :TUR Yildirim, Rukiye

2. :UKR Romoldanova, Iryna

3. :CYP Kouttouki, Kyriaki :TUR Akalin, Ruhat

49kg

1. :ESP Palmer Soler, Blanca

2. :GBR Eardley, Courtney

3. :RUS Sakhautdinova, Regina :RUS Anokhina, Anastasiia

53kg

1. :RUS Kudashova, Tatiana

2. :SRB Bogdanovic, Tijana

3. :TUR Dosucukur, Zehra :LAT Tarvida, Inese

57kg

1. :GBR Jones, Jade

2. :RUS Kim, Ekaterina

3. :AZE Eris, Yaprak :TUR Ilgun, Hatice Kubra

62kg

1. :ESP Calvo Gomez, Marta

2. :TUR Yaman, Irem

3. :TUR Sogut, Seyma Nur :RUS Turutina, Yulia

67kg

1. :GBR Williams, Lauren

2. :SWE Johansson, Elin

3. :TUR Tatar, Nur :AZE Azizova, Farida

73kg

1. :ESP Castro Burgos, Cecilia

2. :RUS Zhdanova, Karina

3. :TUR Cansel, Deniz :TUR Bulut, Sude

+73kg

1. :GBR Walkden, Bianca

2. :POL Kowalczuk, Aleksandra

3. :FRA Graffe, Anne-Caroline :ESP Simon Alamo, Rosanna

Edited by MHSN

by looking at the men's results, we sent almost all of our world team candidates here as a kind of trial for them. they won all lower 4 weights gold medals ! beside that only Mardani came back with a bronze in super heavyweight. I guess most of our "veterans" like Asbaghi, Hajji-Z and Mardani have to say goodbye and just retire. this is time for the new generation. some of them like Yaghoubi and Hadipour are really fun to watch.

After the notorious "Olympic disaster" Iran men's taekwondo program went trough turmoil and they changed the whole thing. Khodabakhshi lost here and I don't think he can be the same "Champion" again. Ashourzadeh after losing to Morocco at the Olympics came back to the competition once again but had to withdraw because of Israel draw ! the same Israeli guy we were afraid to meet him in Rio ! he is still very young to be considered done but it will be a mammoth task for him to comeback after what happened in Rio, he went from being a hero to zero in just one second of carelessness. :cry:

beside that Milad Beigi continued his impressive run, if I'm not wrong in past 2 years he lost only and only one match (Olympic semifinal), the was exactly the only single match I wanted him to win to keep our athlete alive for the bronze medal repechage. :d

Edited by MHSN

17 minutes ago, MHSN said:

beside that Milad Beigi continued his impressive run, if I'm not wrong in past 2 years he lost only and only one match (Olympic semifinal), the was exactly the only single match I wanted him to win to keep our athlete alive for the bronze medal repechage. :d

Thanks for reminding me, if he had won that match I would have won like 300 euros and if he had won the final after that I would have won like 2500 euros :lol:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Thanks for reminding me, if he had won that match I would have won like 300 euros and if he had won the final after that I would have won like 2500 euros :lol:

:d I see that was quite a loss for you. that was logical bet, Beigi was clear favorite in Rio but after beating his archrival and former compatriot in quarterfinal, our taekwondo federation president called him and his coach traitor, don't want to go more into details and apparently those conversations had negative affects on him few minutes later in the semifinal, that was stupid since his loss also eliminated Iran's chance for at least a bronze medal.

personally I'm not into betting or even prediction contests . because I prefer to enjoy the competition. I mean I knew Beigi is the clear favorite against our guy (or anybody else) but that was hard to bet/predict against our own athlete.

btw since Iranian athletes usually don't stay on top for so many years, I expect Beigi to start getting weaker soon :d hopefully. :pope:

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

:d I see that was quite a loss for you. that was logical bet, Beigi was clear favorite in Rio but after beating his archrival and former compatriot in quarterfinal, our taekwondo federation president called him and his coach traitor, don't want to go more into details and apparently those conversations had negative affects on him few minutes later in the semifinal, that was stupid since his loss also eliminated Iran's chance for at least a bronze medal.

personally I'm not into betting or even prediction contests . because I prefer to enjoy the competition. I mean I knew Beigi is the clear favorite against our guy (or anybody else) but that was hard to bet/predict against our own athlete.

btw since Iranian athletes usually don't stay on top for so many years, I expect Beigi to start getting weaker soon :d hopefully. :pope:

Well I remember the first odds for Beigi to win gold were around 40 (!) and they later dropped to 15, which still seemed incredibly high after all I had heard about him hear, so I have no regrets about the bet :p 

I hope for 2020 another 'unkown' athlete is really strong and bookmakers forget about him again :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...