website statistics

Athletics 2017 Discussion Thread

bestmen

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Werloc:

Well, Eurosport seems primarily focused on U18, but as I assume they're only showing the evening sessions. I think I'll have to have excel files of our start times, two livestreams running, about 4-5 live results pages running and jumping constantly between them, which will probably resemble work more than entertainment.

Its great that you are so into athletics ... how come? Lithuania isnt really a powerhouse, do you have any medal contenders at U18/U23?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vor einer Stunde schrieb intoronto:

Final medal table at the Asian Athletics Championships: (a lot of top athletes did not compete and there was rampant cheating among Indian technical officials).

Via Wikipedia:

9oxnWc3.png

Didnt the canadian championships take place this weekend? Results? Especially mens 100 m, mens/womens 200 m, womens 400 m hurdles, womens long jump, mens high jump, mens pole vault, mens/womens 800 m would be interesting, any world class performances?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

25 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Didnt the canadian championships take place this weekend? Results? Especially mens 100 m, mens/womens 200 m, womens 400 m hurdles, womens long jump, mens high jump, mens pole vault, mens/womens 800 m would be interesting, any world class performances?

De Grasse has a slightly wind aided time of 19.96 in the 200, but pretty much all other results were enough to qualify for worlds (top 2 and have standard).

Emmanual had 22.55 in the women's 200, which would have been a national record but the wind was too strong.

Watson (54.97) and Crew (18.32m) broke the championship records as well...

Edited by intoronto

Highlights at the german championships last weekend:

Womens 100 m: 11.01 in prelims (0.0) for Lückenkemper, 11.10 (-0.7), she stumbled at the start

I think she is clearly in sub 11 s shape, probably 10.90, but i dont expect much at the world championships, german sprinter always crumble under pressure ...

Sadly she didnt run the 200 m much this year, 2 years ago she ran 22.4 when her 100 m PB was about 0.3 s slower, so you have to wonder how close to 22.0 she could get now.

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/gina-lueckenkemper-rennt-der-konkurrenz-auf-und-davon/

Also interesting: 11.37 for Keshia Kwadwo (born in 1999) in 4th place, would be amazing if she would be nominated for London.

Womens 200: Lückenkemper didnt compete, Mayer got injured, so the 2 best german runners didnt compete and probably wont run this distance in London.

Laura Müller won in 22.65 s (-0.8)

Normally she is more of a 400 m runner and she will run the 400 m at the U23 championships next week.

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/laura-mueller-pulverisiert-ihre-bestzeit/

Womens 1500 m: Klosterhalfen won in 3:59.54 with a solo run (more than 10 s ahead of everyone else), after an opening 400 m in 65 s ... she crushed the 40 year old championships record by almost exactly 7 s. I hope she gets into a really fast race with Hassan, Kipyegon, Muir (Dibaba, Obiri) later this season. If you can run 3:59 alone, off a 65 s opening lap at 30 °C, you can probably run 3:56 on a perfect day.

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/konstanze-klosterhalfen-knackt-der-meisterschaftsrekord/

Womens 110 m hurdles:

12.82 (-0.7) for Dutkiewicz, she could probably run sub 12.90 in her sleep by now ... Harrison seems too far away, but i think she has a chance to beat everyone else, lets see ...

Roleder is out for the season due to injury, so she wont be able to defend her medal from 2015.

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/pamela-dutkiewicz-bleibt-auch-in-erfurt-ungeschlagen/

Womens triple jump:

14.40 (-0.1) for Gierisch

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/kristin-gierisch-packt-den-gold-sprung-aus/

Womens pole vault:

4.70 for Ryzih

Mens long jump:

8.15 for Howard

Mens triple jump:

17.24 (+2.1) and 17.13 (+1.0) for Heß

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/nervenstarker-max-hess-springt-1724-meter/

Mens pole vault:

Holzdeppe only jumped 5.60 and got beaten by Bo Lita Kanda Baehre (born in 1999)

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/youngster-schockt-den-titelverteidiger/

Mens high jump:

Przybylko jumped 2.30 (cleared everything with his first try) and tried 2.38 (new german record) twice. I think he jumped 2.30 or higher 4-5 times this season already, he should be a strong contender for a medal.

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/mateusz-przybylko-ist-in-der-form-seines-lebens/

Mens javelin throw:

Vetter won in 89.35, he also would have won with his 2nd best (89.23) and his 3rd best (87.83) attempt. Röhler had problems with the conditions and was 2nd in 85.24, Seifert set a new PB of 84.62 and was third.

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/johannes-vetter-gewinnt-vor-thomas-roehler/

Probably not a world class performance, but a very nice finish by Benitz in mens 1500 m, beating Tesfaye quite easily:

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/timo-benitz-siegt-mit-fulminantem-endspurt/

Also interesting: Luke Campbell who won mens 400 m hurdles (49.40) has lived in the US since he was 3 and doesnt speak german ...

http://www.leichtathletik.de/tv/video-detail/video-detail/detail/luke-campbell-ive-been-trying-to-chase-on-the-50-sec/

vor 16 Minuten schrieb intoronto:

De Grasse has a slightly wind aided time of 9.96, but pretty much all other results were enough to qualify for worlds (top 2 and have standard).

What do you mean with "pretty much all other results ..."? Was the canadian team already announced? I get that McBride and Bishop didnt produce world class performances but what about the jumping events (Barber, Drouin, Nettey) and womens 200 m?

vor 3 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

Normally I'd love to watch both, but U18 WCH this year is sort of a B-tournament because of the many absent nations and European U23....I don't know, if it's live on TV I'll watch it :p (and in the end I'll end up watching U18 WCH as well of course :d )

EAA will offer a free live stream which is only geoblocked in Sweden, Germany and Poland.

There should be some interesting events:

Mens 400 m hurdles/400 m with Warholm (apparently he wants to do both)

Mens shot put with Bukowiecki

Mens triple jump Babayev vs. Heß

Womens 100 m hurdles Herman vs. Visser

Womens 100 m with Swoboda

Womens 1500 m with Klosterhalfen, Judd, Hinriksdottir, Ennaoui

Womens 5000 m with Can, Reh, Lahti

Womens triple jump with Panturoiu, Peleteiro, Diallo

And the highlight:

Womens javelin throw Kolak vs. Tugsuz

You cant expect many world class performances, but you will see a lot of very close (tactical) races and a lot of true joy + you dont have to ask yourself after every event (at least thats how i feel) whether the winner was doped.

22 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

What do you mean with "pretty much all other results ..."? Was the canadian team already announced? I get that McBride and Bishop didnt produce world class performances but what about the jumping events (Barber, Drouin, Nettey) and womens 200 m?

Emmanual had 22.55 in the women's 200, which would have been a national record but the wind was too strong.

Drouin did not compete as he pulled out due to an injury to his Achilles (he will compete in London). Barber had a disappointing 5.40m showing and Nettey had 6.23m.

To qualify for worlds you need the standard (at any event) + finish in top 2 at nationals to qualify. For a lot of the events only 2-3 have the times/distances so they didn't need to push the limit.

Gerade eben schrieb intoronto:

Emmanual had 22.55 in the women's 200, which would have been a national record but the wind was too strong.

Drouin did not compete as he pulled out due to an injury to his Achilles (he will compete in London). Barber had a disappointing 5.40m showing and Nettey had 6.23m.

To qualify for worlds you need the standard (at any event) + finish in top 2 at nationals to qualify. For a lot of the events only 2-3 have the times/distances so they didn't need to push the limit.

How strong was the wind in womens 200 m? I think this year womens 200 m is pretty weak, 22.5 might be enought to final.

How many medals can we expect? 1 in mens race walking, 1 in mens high jump, 1 in mens 100 m, any more?

7 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

How strong was the wind in womens 200 m? I think this year womens 200 m is pretty weak, 22.5 might be enought to final.

How many medals can we expect? 1 in mens race walking, 1 in mens high jump, 1 in mens 100 m, any more?

+2.5

100m is harder to medal in.. I say relay/200m for men. Drouin might not be in form so that's difficult to gauge. There might be a surprise from Mo Ahmed in the 5000m...

7 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Its great that you are so into athletics ... how come? Lithuania isnt really a powerhouse, do you have any medal contenders at U18/U23?

Well, I've always been a very huge athletics fan from a young age and I attend every local competition that is organised in my hometown. Luckily, we'll start huge reconstructions of our stadium and from 2022 we're already competing to get a lot of serious competitions for hosting. Lithuania is not a big country, so we'll never really be a powerhouse in anything (well, perhaps we could consider Rowing). And as for U18/U23, we don't really have anyone in U18, perhaps the two heptathletes could surprise. As for U23, we have one very strong athlete in men's javelin and one in the discus, but both are suffering from minor injuries, so it's hard to predict how that'll go. And we have a lot of potential to get high placements and finals in many disciplines, so this might be our strongest U23 we've ever had.

Edited by Werloc