website statistics

Athletics 2017 Discussion Thread

bestmen

Crystal Emmanuel broke the Canadian record in the 200 metres on Tuesday, rewriting one of the oldest records on the books.

The 25-year-old from Toronto sprinted to a time of 22.50 seconds at a meet in Ireland, breaking the record of 22.62 set by Marita Payne-Wiggins — the mother of NBA star Andrew Wiggins — in 1983.

Hopefully a final in London, and possibly a medal !?

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

Crystal Emmanuel broke the Canadian record in the 200 metres on Tuesday, rewriting one of the oldest records on the books.

The 25-year-old from Toronto sprinted to a time of 22.50 seconds at a meet in Ireland, breaking the record of 22.62 set by Marita Payne-Wiggins — the mother of NBA star Andrew Wiggins — in 1983.

Final might definitely be possible, but to have a serious medal shot I'm fairly sure she'll have to improve a whole lot more :p 

Of course never say never though, it wouldn't be the first major surprise. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Final might definitely be possible, but to have a serious medal shot I'm fairly sure she'll have to improve a whole lot more :p 

Of course never say never though, it wouldn't be the first major surprise. 

Weirder things have happened, for ex. 10 years ago Sri Lanka won bronze in this event with a slower time.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb intoronto:

Weird ... i just looked at the IAAF top list and it says that she ran 22.00 (+0.4) on July 8th in Ottawa ... did i miss something?

If we assume that 22.50 is the correct time, then we would first have to know the wind conditions she had for her run, in order to judge whether she can make the final at worlds or not. I think she probably has a realistic chance, a medal would still be more than a miracle. Despite the fact that Felix, Thompson and Bowie all won't compete, she would still have to hope that at least one out of Miller, Schippers and Ta Lou doesn't show up that day and even then we would still have at least one american girl who should be much faster + maybe Asher-Smith.

We should also keep in mind that about a month ago she was beaten by Ahoure in Stockholm and beat Haase by 0.08, which is not really a great sign of her strength, considering that Haase is only the 4th fastest german 200 m runner ...

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Weird ... i just looked at the IAAF top list and it says that she ran 22.00 (+0.4) on July 8th in Ottawa ... did i miss something?

If we assume that 22.50 is the correct time, then we would first have to know the wind conditions she had for her run, in order to judge whether she can make the final at worlds or not. I think she probably has a realistic chance, a medal would still be more than a miracle. Despite the fact that Felix, Thompson and Bowie all won't compete, she would still have to hope that at least one out of Miller, Schippers and Ta Lou doesn't show up that day and even then we would still have at least one american girl who should be much faster + maybe Asher-Smith.

We should also keep in mind that about a month ago she was beaten by Ahoure in Stockholm and beat Haase by 0.08, which is not really a great sign of her strength, considering that Haase is only the 4th fastest german 200 m runner ...

That 22.00 timing was without legal wind conditions... idk if that is correct. Yes a medal is likely impossible but you never know in athletics.

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

And still only the 72nd best in history..

This made me sad and it made me laugh :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

IAAF list is wrong...she ran 22.99 (+0.4) that day in the Canadian championships semifinal.

Bowie won't compete  

Is this official? Bowie won't compete in the 200m ?