website statistics

Athletics 2017 Discussion Thread

bestmen

half marathon race walking? Well, what a shitty thing, why just not keep 20km and that's it?

I was hoping for women's 50km to be add and now this news..... As a race walking lover this makes me sad. 50KM is the ultimate endurance in athletics and races usually prove to be a good show.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do everything to stop our medals :facepalm:remove 50 km race walk and canoe slalom C2 both our golds in Rio also it´s almost sure the canoe sprint K4-1000m will be cut of the program and replaced by K4-500. I really can´t...all our medals chances are quickly disappearing...at least there this trap mixed thing and it looks like the mens canoe slalom C1 is still safe so we should win at least 2 medals

The 50km was always in danger of being removed. Making the 20km event into a 21.1km event seems arbitrary.

I hate that the IOC is trying to get rid of endurance events or never brought them in the first place. Is four hours of walking any different than four hours of a single round of golf or the entire time it takes for a weightlifting competition in a single weightclass?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Jur said:

half marathon race walking? Well, what a shitty thing, why just not keep 20km and that's it?

I was hoping for women's 50km to be add and now this news..... As a race walking lover this makes me sad. 50KM is the ultimate endurance in athletics and races usually prove to be a good show.

Why not just keep 50km and that's it? That often provides a fantastic show and it's much more a test of endurance than the too short 20k, with athletes going way over their limits (more than you see in the 20k). Well, keeping the 20k and 50k would of course be the best solution.

If they want to cut athletics so bad, it'd be better to do something about the nonsense of having both 800 and 1500 or both 5000 and 10.000. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

If we're going to change the 20k to 21k and a bit, I've got another idea: why not scrap the 1500 meters and add the 1520 meters? Might as well take the 3000m steeplechase out and add the much more interesting 3043,5m steeplechase :)

Just now, heywoodu said:

If we're going to change the 20k to 21k and a bit, I've got another idea: why not scrap the 1500 meters and add the 1520 meters? Might as well take the 3000m steeplechase out and add the much more interesting 3043,5m steeplechase :)

A couple of weeks ago, I had a dream FINA changed the programme to mostly obscure events and it featured a 6x12m Butterfly Relay. :lol:

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.