Athletics 2017 Discussion Thread

bestmen

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

:lol:

WR itself seems to be the biggest joke on the list. 2.3 meters further than the 2nd best..

If those WR's ever get broken, I wonder which are the biggest jokes: those records or the people breaking them :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Actually Hellmann had an unofficial 78.14!!!!! in Berlin before the games as she and Wyludda, only 19, tried out for the third spot in the OG team behind Reinsch and Gansky. Wyludda threw what would have been an unbreakable WJR close to 75 too!

vor 13 Stunden schrieb intoronto:

Weirder things have happened, for ex. 10 years ago Sri Lanka won bronze in this event with a slower time.

Different times, athletics has become a much more competitive sport and countries like Jamaica have emerged as top sprinting nations. If Jamaica and the US perform at their full potential, than most other countries should have almost no chance for medals in the sprint. With the rise of South Africa it will get even harder, especially on the mens side. On the other hand it would be amazing to have runners from 8 different countries in the final and i think IAAF would also like that. Seeing athletes from Japan (Sani Brown), Italy (Tortu), Poland (Swobodo), Germany (Lückenkemper) or Canada (Emmanuel) in the final would be really refreshing. I think its pretty boring that in most sprint finals at least 50% of the athletes are from USA/Jamaica.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb dcro:

And still only the 72nd best in history..

I think its the 70th best ... behind:

17 x Sachse-Gansky

10 x Wyludda

9 x Hellmann

8 x Reinsch

5 x Costian

4 x Silhava/Khristova

3 x Savinkova

2 x Meszynski/Beyer

1 x Murashova/Jahl/Zvereva/Vergova-Petkova/Xiao

I still dont get why anyone would be happy about this performance, considering Perkovics history, there is no way that she can ever become a respected athlete again. The fact that Kolak is even worse doesnt change anything by the way. Obvious ... is obvious!

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb intoronto:

That 22.00 timing was without legal wind conditions... idk if that is correct. Yes a medal is likely impossible but you never know in athletics.

22.00 with whatever wind she had would be much more impressive in my opinion. Maybe she will peak in London, but running 22.5 somewhere at a small meet in Ireland is completely different than running the same time in London. I think there are 4-5 girls that are clearly faster, but then there are about 10-15 girls who are pretty much on the same level, so she should definitely fight for the final. Anything more would really surprise me, its not that its gonna be a tactical race or that the conditions could have much of an influence. I think in top shape she is 0.5 s behind Schippers and Miller and probably at least 0.3 s behind Ta Lou, even if all of them have an average race, while she has a perfect race, she should still finish behind them.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Dunadan:

IAAF list is wrong...she ran 22.99 (+0.4) that day in the Canadian championships semifinal.

Is this official? Bowie won't compete in the 200m ? 

Thanks for clarification.

I dont think its official, but according to this article she only wants to do the 100 OR the 200 and she clearly seems to favor the 100.

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/06/26/tori-bowie-double-track-and-field-world-championships/

vor 5 Stunden schrieb dcro:

:lol:

WR itself seems to be the biggest joke on the list. 2.3 meters further than the 2nd best..

Neubrandenburg is a wind tunnel, in a stadium this would have been 2-3 m shorter. I have no doubt that Perkovic could throw at least 73 m in Halle/Neubrandenburg if she would compete there in top shape with good conditions.

@dareza Who's the 15 (?) year old Serbian javelin thrower that's so impressive? On all-athletics suddenly she's not in the world lists anymore :yikes:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

@dareza Who's the 15 (?) year old Serbian javelin thrower that's so impressive? On all-athletics suddenly she's not in the world lists anymore :yikes:

hm, strange. I don't know really. I only know her name and where she live.