website statistics

Athletics 2017 Discussion Thread

bestmen

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend the city of Monterrey will host a stage of the 2017 Race Walk Challenge and they plan to apply this rule:

Disqualification 7.

(c) A Pit lane shall be used for any race where the applicable Regulations for the competition so provide and may be used for other races as determined by the relevant governing body or Organising Committee. in such cases, an athlete will be required to enter the Pit lane and remain there for the applicable period (as set out in the Regulations or Organising Committee decision) once they have received three Red Cards and are so advised by the Chief Judge or someone delegated by him. if, at any time, the athlete receives an additional Red Card from a Judge other than one of the three who had previously sent a Red Card, he shall be disqualified. An athlete who fails to enter the Pit lane when required to do so, or remain there for the applicable period, shall be disqualified by the Chief Judge

According to the organizers, this will only be the second time this format of a "penalty box" will be used, but is under consideration by IAAF to be used as the standard rule in future competitions.

2 hours ago, mrv86 said:

This weekend the city of Monterrey will host a stage of the 2017 Race Walk Challenge and they plan to apply this rule:

According to the organizers, this will only be the second time this format of a "penalty box" will be used, but is under consideration by IAAF to be used as the standard rule in future competitions.

Seems like a good idea.

However, I think this event is really struggling with modern times. Slow motion replays clearly show that basically everyone is cheating by having both feet in the air. Last time I watched it, commentator was trying to explain that cheating has to be seen by the human eye, but yeah... Rules in this sport are ambigous at best.

#banbestmen

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

Seems like a good idea.

However, I think this event is really struggling with modern times. Slow motion replays clearly show that basically everyone is cheating by having both feet in the air. Last time I watched it, commentator was trying to explain that cheating has to be seen by the human eye, but yeah... Rules in this sport are ambigous at best.

Exactly, every athlete fails to follow the proper walking technique at least in one ocassion, that's why everyone has quite fast registers nowadays :facepalm:

15 hours ago, mrv86 said:

They want kill the race walking :facepalm:

12 hours ago, dcro said:

Seems like a good idea.

The bigger problem is with people who don't get the rules and say that everyone is cheating 'because the slow-motions clearly show that'. Nope, slow-motions don't show that someone is cheating because it has to be seen by the human eye indeed. And like race walkers themselves say: "Changing those rules would not be a problem, because then we would simply change our technique so that we are still within the rules." 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The bigger problem is with people who don't get the rules and say that everyone is cheating 'because the slow-motions clearly show that'. Nope, slow-motions don't show that someone is cheating because it has to be seen by the human eye indeed. And like race walkers themselves say: "Changing those rules would not be a problem, because then we would simply change our technique so that we are still within the rules." 

"Visible by human eye" is not some exact term to be honest. :p

Everyone gets angry when judges don't see something in football or other team sports. It's just so that it happens all the time in race walking. :p

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

"Visible by human eye" is not some exact term to be honest. :p

Everyone gets angry when judges don't see something in football or other team sports. It's just so that it happens all the time in race walking. :p

True, and I think a whole lot of people, race walkers included, would like to see that changed and work with for example things like sensors (which are being developed and there are serious plans to have them in big competitions within a few years). It would shut up the people who don't get it and therefore say they are cheating all the time + it'd make it more fair and I'm pretty sure most would be in favour of that :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!