website statistics

Modern Pentathlon 2016 Discussion Thread

Vojthas

We are after the first World Cup event in Cairo. Among women the best was Lena Schöneborn, ahead of her teammate Annika Schleu and Elodie Clouvel. Just behind them Zsófia Földházi and Margaux Isaksen were qualified. Both Hungarian and American are among the top favorites to qualify for Rio Olympics during World Champs in Moscow, but Schleu made it really good in combined in Cairo and she seems to be knockin' to the world top. But in Cairo Oktawia Nowacka, Laura Asadauskaite, Qian Chen, Donata Rimsaite, Samantha Murray and Sarolta Kovács didn't start and they all would surely get good result there.

Among men we had a domination of host country's Amro El Geziry, who unexpectedly loss last year's African Olympic Qualification to Eslam Hamad and still has no quota for Rio (yet). Behind his back we had a wonderful fight for second place between two great runners Ádám Marosi and Valentin Belaud, eventually won by the Hungarian who also had great event at Budapest Indoor competition earlier this season. Among those who didn't start James Cooke, Aleksander Lesun and Róbert Kasza.

Mixed relay was pathetic - only nine pairs and that was no surprise that Italians Lavinia Bonessio and Auro Franceschini (the only Europeans except of Turkey) won with a big advantage over Mexicans Tamara Vega and Jorge Abraham Camacho and Kazakhs Elena Potapenko and Vladislav Sukharev.

But to qualify at the World Championships one need to win a medal. Otherwise the quota places will go to the World ranking: http://www.pentathlon.org/wp-content/uploads/2014-09-Rio-2016-Qualification-System-FINAL-Modern-Pentathlon-EN.pdf

Edited by EselTheDonkey

Just now, EselTheDonkey said:

But to qualify at the World Championships one need to win a medal. Otherwise the quota places will go to the World ranking: http://www.pentathlon.org/wp-content/uploads/2014-09-Rio-2016-Qualification-System-FINAL-Modern-Pentathlon-EN.pdf

What is very probable for both Földházi and Isaksen. And in men's event for El Geziry and Marosi.

World Cup #2 ahead of us. It starts on Thursday (not Wednesday) and ends next Monday (istead of Sunday). The training camp is held for a few days in some militarian sport centre in Curitiba with a few nations (for sure Germany, Guatemala, France, Ireland, Canada and of course Brasil). Today the Polish team departed from the Warsaw Airport, this time with Nowacka (although she still didn't cure the foot injury so she might not achieve some big result, but it is important for her to see the Olympic venue, as she already secured the quota and for sure will go to the Rio Olympics).

Edited by Vojthas

We are after qualifications. Among women no big surprises (maybe no qualification for Burjak, Tocchi and Sotero) - all top athletes qualified. They also held the fencing ranking round (this is Olympic test event, so they had to hold the whole competition in the Olympic format, which means ranking round day before the rest of the competition). Oktawia Nowacka unfortunately had to withdraw - she still didn't cure the foot injury until the end and the pain came back during today's fencing. Another poor fencing of Földházi - she will have to decrease the loss to the top during next events again.

Among men there are some sensations - Lesun and Cao did not finish the combined event (I don't know why, I can only suppose that it's because of the heat, Samuel Curry, who was in the same group as Lesun and started in the same hours in the same conditions got a heatstroke), Lanigan-O'Keeffe was 20th in his group, Frolov, who started in the same group, was 22nd, Kuf was 24th in other group.

Laura Asadauskaitė had a horrible run due broken laser gun :( She was not the only one. The organization of competition was horrible - massive rain and the electronic guns was not protected from rain by anything. Hopefully this test event showed Rio organizers what to change in order to avoid this kind of situations in summer when Laura will be bringing gold back home :p

2 hours ago, Bearas said:

Laura Asadauskaitė had a horrible run due broken laser gun :( She was not the only one. The organization of competition was horrible - massive rain and the electronic guns was not protected from rain by anything. Hopefully this test event showed Rio organizers what to change in order to avoid this kind of situations in summer when Laura will be bringing gold back home :p

Yap, I was watching the livestream and when it was over I felt that I wasted my time, because it was not the best athlete who won, nature won this one. And I'm not only talking about the fact that after second shooting Laura was almost breathing on the backs of the leading three, the Chinese girl that was first went down to 7th, because her targets simply did not turn on for about 20 seconds...

It is hard to comment the event - Chen might have won with Cesarini for sure if not the target malfunction, but let's be honest - Cesarini had such a great day and she wasn't losing distance to Chen at all during the three laps so I think that she deserves the win, though I'd like to see the fight until the end. And Asadauskaite was also heading for the top position, until her third shooting.

But there is one more important thing to focus - the riding. If the course and horses will be the same in August we might see an interesting competition. Four maximum results is not bad, but there was quite a few results below three knockdowns. Clouvel had a big advantage before the riding and fell down to fifth before the combined. Let's see how will it look like today with men's event.

I always thought the remaining Pentathletes (after the WC 2016) simply qualified by their place in the World Ranking. But now I found an Olympic Games Ranking on the official Website. What's the difference? :mumble:

Edited by EselTheDonkey