website statistics

Ski Jumping 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Yuki Ito again on top

Yuki Ito won ahead of Sara Takanash and Maren Lundby

Japan´s Yuki Ito also won the second competition of the FIS World Cup Ladies Ski Jumping in Zao. In front of her home crowd Ito jumped 100,0 and 94,5 meters and got 227,0 points. Sara Takanashi and Maren Lundby finished 2nd and 3rd.

Ito thankfull for support
Yuki Ito said after the competition: „I am so glad I could win again. We´ve had a fantastic audience today and the support gave me so much strength.“ In front of more than 5.000 spectators Sara Takanashi celebrated her comeback on the podium after leaving out twice in the last competitions. Her jumps to 99,5 and 94,5 meters been worth 226,2 points and gave her an advantage of 5,1 points on Norway´s Maren Lundby.

Hard work for Takanashi
Takanashi said: „This weekend was hard work for me. My jumping is not going so easy right now. I am very happy that I could finish on the podium today and will try to continue my work next weekend.“ Maren Lundby performed jumps to 100,0 and 92,0 meters and was also happy with the result: „I was pretty disappointed after my final jump yesterday. I am glad I could show two good jumps today.“

Malsiner strong again
With 219,4 points Italy´s Manuela Malsiner missed her second podium only by 1,7 points and came in 4th with 97,0 and 96,0 meters. Katharina Althaus was the best German finishing 5th with 213,3 points ahead of Slovenia´s Ema Klinec with 211,7 points. Althaus´ teammate Carina Vogt came in 7th ahead of Irina Avvakumova of Russia. In almost perfect ski jumping conditions Kaori Iwabuchi was the third Japanese in the top ten and celebrated her best result of the season finishing 9th ahead of Slovenia´s Maja Vtic and the best Austrian Jaqueline Seifriedsberger on 10 and 11.

Three Americans scoring
The American ladies Nita Englund, Sarah Hendrickson and Abby Ringquist finished on places 14, 16 and 22. Lea Lemare and Lucile Morat scored for France on places 25 and 28. In the overall world cup Sara Takanashi is in the lead with 815 points ahead of Yuki Ito (732) and Maren Lundby (517).

Next stage of the Ladies World Cup is Rasnov (ROU) next weekend.

Full Results Here

Germany the best team in Zakopane

The Top 3 teams in Zakopane

The German Ski Jumping team, with Markus Eisenbichler, Stephan Leyhe, Andreas Wellinger and Richard Freitag, won the team competition in Zakopane (POL) this evening. In front of over 40 000 fans, the team of head coach Werner Schuster took a hard-fought win ahead of Poland and Slovenia.

For Germany this was the eleventh win a team competition in the World Cup. "The guys rewarded themselves. This is a huge success in front of a great crowd", Werner Schuster said after the competition.

The Germans scored a total of 1116.3 points and after eight jumps they had a lead of 5.1 points over Poland, represented by Piotr Zyla, Maciej Kot, Dawid Kubacki and Kamil Stoch. With this performance today, the German athletes could repeat their win from last year in Zakopane. Only 8.5 points behind Poland, the team of Slovenia, Jurij Tepes, Jernej Damjan, Peter Prevc and Domen Prevc, came in third.

"The competition went really well for us. It was hard for me to be the first jumper because my jumps in training yesterday were really bad. I was a bit nervous in the first round and I had not my best jumps today but they were consistent. The other guys did a very good job. Poland and Slovenia were also jumping on a high level. I'm really happy that we can win also when Severin is not there", said Markus Eisenbichler.

Piotr Zyla summed up the competition for the second-placed Poles: "My jumps were very good today, I think they were some of my best this season. But also the others of our team showed good jumps today. The atmosphere is always amazing in Zakopane, I always like competing at home. I didn't think too much aber the yellow bib we were wearing today, I was focusing on my jumps, not on the bib."

For Slovenia Jernej Damjan said: "I'm really very happy about this result. Jurij made a mistake in the second round, but he was jumping with a high fever, so he did a really good job. It's nice to see the Slovenian team strong again and we are proud. Everything here is amazing, I can't find the right words to explain how nice it is to jump here", Damjan was impressed by the over 40 000 enthusiastic fans.

Peter Prevc showed an impressive performance today and returned to the World Cup after his short break with two great jumps. Prevc now has to be considered one of the top favorites for Sunday's competition.

With the teams of Austria and Norway in fourth and fifth two other top teams were jumping on a high level. Both were fighting for a podium result for a large part of the competition, but at the end they could not keep up with the best. The best athletes of these two teams were Michael Hayboeck and Daniel Andre Tande. Both will have to be reckoned with in the fight for the top spots on Sunday.

The teams of the Czech Republic, Russia and Japan finished on the places six, seven and eight. Finland, the USA and Kazakhstan failed to qualify for the final round.

Poland still leads the Nation's Cup with 2747 points, followed by Austria (2479 points) and Germany (2429 points).

The second competition in Zakopane starts on Sunday at 4:00 pm CET. 

Full Results Here

Triumph for local hero Kamil Stoch

Andreas Wellinger, Kamil Stoch, Richard Freitag

In an incredible final local hero Kamil Stoch took the win in Sunday's competition in Zakopane (POL). In front of 40 000 enthusiastic fans Stoch, who was sixth after the first round, had an outstanding jump in the final round. At the end he won with 287.4 points (130.5 m and 131 m), ahead of the three Germans Andreas Wellinger, Richard Freitag and Markus Eisenbichler. This was the 20th win in the World Cup for Kamil Stoch, the fifth this winter and the fourth in a row.

Pure emotions at the Wielka Krokiew hill in Zakopane after Richard Freitag made his second jump and it became clear that local hero Kamil Stoch was the winner. 30 000 fans, among them the Polish president Andrzej Duda, celebrated the winner. "I can't believe it, it's like a dream", the obviously moved winner said in front of his cheering fans after his triumph. Again and again Stoch tried to find the right words in the many interviews.

"Of course I'm satisfied with what I achieved today, especially my second jump was really good. The level of the competition was very high and even though the spectators might not have seen it, the conditions were difficult. The wind was changing a lot. After the first round I didn't think about the podium anymore, I was just focusing on my jump. I want to thank all the fans here and in front of the TV, it was great", the double Olympic champion from Sochi said after the competition.

In the final round Markus Eisenbichler, Daniel Andre Tande, Michael Hayboeck, Andreas Wellinger and Richard Freitag, who was in the lead after the first round, could not get ahead of Kamil Stoch after his jump of 131 m. But, besides Stoch, the German team is also a winner of the weekend in Zakopane. After their victory in Saturday's team competition, the athletes of head coach Werner Schuster did great again on Sunday. Andreas Wellinger in second, Richard Freitag in third, Markus Eisenbichler in fourth, Karl Geiger in eleventh and Stephan Leyhe in 16th provided an outstanding team result and this comes right on time for the upcoming home events in Willingen and Oberstdorf.

"This was a great competition, the crowd is amazing, every competitor feels like home here. It was an incredible moment when 40 000 people sang the national anthem during the award ceremony. I will continue to work hard and take it step by step, maybe then I can beat Kamil one day", said Andreas Wellinger, who was already third in Wisla and achieved his second podium result in Poland today.

Richard Freitag ended an about two-year dry spell without a podium result with his third place. "Regarding the weather conditions it was one of the best weekends we had in Zakopane for a while. The fans are really fair and cheered for all the athletes, it's really something special to jump in front of such a big crowd. My goal are the World Championships in Lahti, there I want to win a medal in the team and also in the indivdiual. This weekend was a step in the right direction."

"This atmosphere here in Zakopane is incredible, during my jump they were cheering as if I was a Pole, that's special", Karl Geiger was also impressed by the atmosphere at the Wielka Krokiew hill in Zakopane.

Norway's Daniel Andre Tande, fourth after the first round, came in seventh. "I was too aggressive in my second jump, it was my own mistake. This happens in Ski Jumping", Tande said self-critical after the final. "But the hill in Willingen suits me well, I'll attack again there", said the Norwegian, who is already looking forward to next weekend. 

Michael Hayboeck was the only Austrian among the best today. Manuel Fettner came in 17th and could, to some degree, follow up on his recent performances. Markus Schiffner and Andreas Kofler were 28th and 29th, Gregor Schlierenzauer missed the final of the Top 30 in 33rd. Besides Schlierenzauer other well-known names also failed to make the cut, among them Johann Andre Forfang, Simon Ammann, Janne Ahonen and Jurij Tepes.

Kamil Stoch extended his lead in the overall World Cup. With now 933 points he leads ahead of Daniel Andre Tande (803 points) and Domen Prevc (780 points).

The next competitions will be held in Willingen (GER) next weekend.

Full results Here

Lundby wins in Rasnov

95473_G08_W01.jpg

Maren Lundby took the win in the first FIS World Cup competition in Rasnov (ROU). The Norwegian performed jumps to 97,0 and 99,0 meters and scored 259,0 points. Places two and three went to Sara Takanashi and Yuki Ito of Japan.

Lundby still sees room for improvement
Lundby, who was already in the lead after the first round, said afterwards: „It was a very good day for me, I am really happy with my jumps. But still it was not perfect. There are always a few little things to improve.“ Sara Takanashi came the closest to Lundby after jumps to 93,0 and 98,0 meters with 249,8 points. The World Cup leader said: „I am working on very many little details to get my jumps back to the best performance. But the result is very good form e and a step in the right direction.“ On third place teammate Yuki Ito jumped to 91,0 and 93,5 meters and got 238,5 points.

Ito with best jumps
The three-times World Cup winner said: „My jumps in the competition were much better than in the training and in the trial round. That’s very good. I am still struggling to find the right timing at the take-off.“ Six points behind Ito Germany´s Carina Vogt again just missed out on the podium and finished fourth after jumps to 91,0 and 93,0 meters. Her teammates Svenja Wuerth, with 229,8 points on 5th place and Katharina Althaus, who finished 6th equal with Austria´s Daniela Iraschko-Stolz, helped her delivering a great team result for the Germans.

Wuert with career best
For Wuerth it was the best World Cup result so far. Chiara Hoelzl finished 8th and was the second Austrian in the top ten. Behind her Maja Vtic came in 9th and was best Slovenian. Japans Yuka Seto completed the top ten. On 11th place Nita Englund of the USA had a season best, same goes for Lea Lemare of France on 12th place.

Runggaldier best Italian
Elena Runggaldier was best Italian finishing 15th behind Jaqueline Seifriedsberger and Sarah Hendrickson, Julia Kykkaenen came in 20th for Finland behind the best Russian Irina Avvakumova and Ramona Straub. Local hero Daniela Haralambie came in 24th, Taylor Henrich scored for Canada on 29th place.

The second competition starts on Sunday at 12.30 (CET).

Full Results Here

Poland fights back in Willingen

95657_G08_W01.jpg

The Polish ski jumpers around superstar Kamil Stoch won Saturday's team competition on the Muehlenkopf-hill in Willingen. Maciej Kot, Piotr Zyla, Dawid Kubacki and the outstanding Kamil Stoch came in ahead of the teams of Austria and Germany.

21 000 fans in the sold-out arena had all the reason to hope for a win of the leading German team after the first half of the competition, but at the end the Poles and the Austrians were too strong for the Germans. For the team of Poland (931.5 points) this was the second win in a World Cup team competition, the athletes of head coach Stefan Horngacher took their first win earlier this season in Klingenthal (GER).

Crucial for the success of Poland today was the tight team performance, none of the four athletes had a bad jump. "We had eight good jumps today and that made the difference and was the key to our success. It was a lot of fun to jump here in Willingen. Our team spirit is really good and our coach Stefan Horngacher has a lot of influence on the atmosphere within our team", Maciej Kot explained and added that "the level is very high at the moment. About ten athletes can win in the World Cup right now. Of course I hope that tomorrow one of us will be able to win here in Willingen."

The team of Austria showed a strong performance and came in second (919.2 points). If Stefan Kraft would not have had such a bad jump in the first round, a win would have been possible for the Austrians. Kraft jumped only on 127.5 m in the first round and the team of Heinz Kuttin was far behind. But Gregor Schlierenzauer, Manuel Fettner and Michael Hayboeck fought back and closed the gap to the top. At the end it was Stefan Kraft who secured the second place for his team with an amazing jump on 142 m. "This is a nice success for our team.

The entire team is happy about this result. I still have lots of room for improvement. There's still a lot of work left to do but from time to time I can show a really good jump, like in the trial round today. I will now continue working and take it step by step", Schlierenzauer summed up the competition.

The German team lost the fight for the second place. While Markus Eisenbichler and Andreas Wellinger, who had the longest jump of the day with 145 m, showed great peformances, Stephan Leyhe and Richard Freitag didn't have their best day and so it was only enough for the third place. "We made mistakes today and were not good enough. We have to accept that. But it's a success to be on the podium, that's not that easy with all the strong teams", Markus Eisenbichler said after the competition. The third place today with a total of 910.7 points is okay for the German team. The final team event before the World Championships in Lahti was a success for the athletes of head coach Werner Schuster. Four teams can hope for gold four weeks from now, and the Germans are one of them.

About 120 points behind, the fourth place went to Slovenia (791.2 points), Norway finished fifth. Russia showed a good performance and was sixth, followed by Finland (7th) and Japan (8th).

The team of the Czech Republic failed to qualify for the final of the Top 8.

The individual competition in Willingen will start on Sunday at 3:05 pm CET. 

Full Results Here

16265734_10154324752387151_1202276920065

Number 50 for Sara Takanashi

95797_G08_W01.jpg

Sara Takanashi won the second competition of the FIS World Cup Ladies Ski Jumping in Rasnov (ROU). With jumps to 96,0 and 97,5 meters Takanashi got 247,3 points and celebrated her 50th victory in the FIS World Cup. After the competition she said:

"Finally made it"
„I am very happy that I finally won my 50th competition. I was so much hoping I could achieve it in Japan. But Rasnov also is a very special place for me as I am holding the hill record and the people were supporting me so much here.“ On second place Norway´s Maren Lundby could not defeat her leading position after round one. With 95,5 and 93,0 meters and 241,9 points she claimed place two and finished the best weekend of her career after winning on Saturday.

Great weekend for Lundby
Lundby said: „I am very happy with this weekend. Places one and two are amazing. It was a great weekend. The conditions were close to perfect and we had a great atmosphere with very many spectators.“ Third place went to Austria´s Daniela Iraschko-Stolz, who achieved her third podium of the season with 93,0 and 94,0 meters and 235,4 points.

Iraschko-Stolz back on the podium
The Austrian said: „It feels good to be back on the podium. Sara, Yuki and Maren gave me a pretty hard time in the past weeks because they were jumping so strong. I had some trouble with my knee here but I am used to it since many years. The atmosphere and the spectators were great. I think, it´s my favourite World Cup event.“ On fourth place Yuki Ito had to end her podium streak after five competitions in the top three.

Germans close to the podium
With 90,0 and 90,5 meters and 224,1 points Ito stayed one point ahead of Katharina Althaus who finished 5th. Sixth place went to her teammate Carina Vogt with 218,4 points. After a disappointing first competition and place 18 on Saturday, Russia´s Irina Avvakumova came back to the top ten and finished 7th ahead of Svenja Wuerth of Germany. Yuka Seto and Sarah Hendrickson of the USA completed the top ten. Just missing out on the best ten Austria´s Jaqueline Seifriedsberger and Chiara Hoelzl finished 11th and 12th. Nita Englund finished a good weekend after 11th place on Saturday with place 13.

Slovenia still struggling
Slovenia´s Maja Vtic and Spela Rogelj came in 14th and 15th. Best Italian was Elena Runggaldier on 16th place, Lucile Morat and Lea Lemare came in 21st and 22nd for France, Julia Kykkaenen scored for Finland on 23rd place. Local hero Daniela Haralambie finished 24, just ahead of Canada´s Taylor Henrich.

In the overall World Cup Sara Takanashi could expand her lead with now 995 points ahead of Yuki Ito (842) and Maren Lundby (697).

Next stage of the Ladies World Cup is Hinzenbach (AUT) next weekend.

Full Results Here

Andreas Wellinger takes the home win in Willingen

95822_G08_W01.jpg

Andreas Wellinger ended the weekend in Willingen with a triumph in front of his home crowd. After the 21-year-old Bavarian already won the qualification on Friday and was the outstanding athlete in Saturday's team event, he took the indivdiual win on Sunday with 242.3 points, close ahead of the two Austrians Stefan Kraft (242.0 points) and Manuel Fettner (241.0 points).

This was the second win in the World Cup for Wellinger, the first on German soil. He celebrated his first World Cup win on January 16th, 2014 in Wisla (POL). Wellinger was already on the podium recently in third and second in Wisla and Zakopane.

"It was incredibly close today, 4 athletes were separated by just 2 points. I tried really hard to get over that green line and it's amazing that I could win by 0.3 points. I don't think the conditions today were very difficult. Now I'm looking forward to the Ski Flying event in Oberstdorf next weekend. We are jumping on a new hill and I would like to improve my personal best of 218 m", Wellinger summed up the day and already looked ahead to the upcoming Ski Flying World Cup in Oberstdorf.

Despite the fact that he was only 0.3 points behind the winner, Stefan Kraft was very satisfied with his second place. "I'm really satisfied with the weekend here in Willingen, especially the first round was very good today. In the second round it got extremely close. Of course I would have wanted come out on top, but Andi Wellinger's win is well-deserved, he was the best this weekend. We have a really strong team and we are also happy that Gregor Schlierenzauer is back again", Kraft said about the weekend in Willingen.

Kraft's teammate Manuel Fettner was also happy about this third place: "This weekend was great for me and for the whole team. I had two very good jumps today and I'm really satisfied with my performance. Maybe I can achieve my first win in the World Cup this winter, that's what I'm working for", said Fettner.

17 600 fans at the Muehlenkopf-hill on Sunday saw a competition under once again difficult and changing wind conditions. Norway's Daniel Andre Tande, who was in the lead after the first round, was struggling with these conditions in the final. After an amazing jump of 149.5 m in the first round, Tande landed already at 134 m in the final and was fourth, only 1.9 points behind the winner. Tande was obviously very disappointed, he wanted to achieve a lot more in this event in Willingen.

World Cup leader Kamil Stoch of Poland came in fifth and also thought that it wasn't easy today. "The conditions were really difficult today. The wind was changing fast and often. But I'm really satisfied with my fifth place here in Willingen", said Stoch. 

Michael Hayboeck and Gregor Schlierenzauer in sixth and seventh provided an oustanding result of the Austrian team of head coach Heinz Kuttin. Schlierenzauer is definitely on his way back to the world's elite. He will already be one of the contestants for top results next weekend in the Ski Flying World Cup in Oberstdorf. 

Jurij Tepes and Peter Prevc were the best Slovenes in eighth and ninth. Russia's Evgeniy Klimov confirmed his consistent shape this winter in 11th. Klimov is now 17th in the overall World Cup with 246 points, that's really strong. Piotr Zyla, Maciej Kot, Dawid Kubacki and Jan Ziobro were 10th, 13th, 14th and 15th and achieved a strong result for the Polish team, even if it wasn't enough for a top result after their win in the team competition yesterday.

Apart from Wellinger's win, it was a disappointing competition for the German team: Second-best German was Markus Eisenbichler in 18th, local hero Stephan Leyhe and Richard Freitag could not meet the expectations in 20th and 23rd, Karl Geiger and Andreas Wank failed to make the cut for the final in 36th and 40th. But still head coach Werner Schuster was satisfied: "It went better and better for our team over the past weeks. We were close to the win yesterday and deserved being on the podium. I'm happy for Andreas Wellinger, he already won before and now he fought back after difficult times. Of course luck also played a role today, but he was the best jumper this weekend. Now I hope that he'll continue working that well."

Kamil Stoch leads the overall World Cup with 978 points, ahead of Daniel Andre Tande (853 points) and Slovenia's Domen Prevc (786 points).

The World Cup continues next weekend with two Ski Flying competitions in Oberstdorf (GER).

Full Results Here