website statistics

Ski Jumping 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Lundby takes the victory, Takanashi takes the record

15380381_10154176632372151_4388513244193

Maren Lundby celebrated her first world cup victory at today´s competition in Nizhny Tagil (RUS). The 22-year old Norwegian performed a great comeback and climbed up the ranking from 6th to first place in the final round. Jumps to 91,5 and 95,5 meters brought her 229,6 points and the win ahead of Daniela Iraschko-Stolz and Sara Takanashi.

Lundby´s dream comes true

Lundby said afterwards: „Im am very happy today and a little bit nervous. This was my dream and my goal for many years. I didn’t expect to win after the first round but my second jump was really good.“ Austria´s Daniela Iraschko-Stolz was not less happy after her performance with jumps to 96,0 and 92,0 meters. 5,5 points where missing to the top. „I’m feeling very good right now. My jumps are getting better and better since Lillehammer and my knee feels better then i expected. But I am also glad that we will have a little break now before the next competitions.“

Takanashi with new hill record

Sara Takanashi seemed on the best way to the third victory of the season after setting a new hill record with 102,0 meters in the first round. Only 86,0 meters in the final took her advantage away. With a score of 218,3 points Takanashi finished third. „I was surprised after the first round because I did not know it was a new hill record. My second jump was not that good. I will try to do better tomorrow again.“ Teammate Yuki Ito, twice second in Lillehammer, came in fourth this time with her best jump to 88,0 meters in the final round.

Japan and Austria very strong

Jaqueline Seifriedsberger on 5th place with 208,4 points underlined the Austrian-Japanese dominance. Ema Klinec confirmed her good training performance and was the best Slovenian on 6th place, Coline Mattel from France performed very steady and came in 7th.

German team steady

Even though a few meters where missing to the podium, the German team still is on a good way with Katharina Althaus coming in 8th and Svenja Wuerth, Carina Vogt and Anna Rupprecht on places 11, 12 and 13. The Russian athletes could not quite satisfy the hopes of the home ground. After a very strong first jump and place four Anastasiya Barannikova still dropped down to 19 place. So Irina Avvakumova was the best Russian on 9th place. Japan´s Yuka Seto completed the top ten. Sarah Hendrickson from USA struggled a little with the Nizhny Tagil hill and came 14th, just ahead of the three Slovenians Maja Vtic, Nika Kriznar and Spela Rogelj. Manuela Malsiner was the best Italian, finishing 21st followed by the best French jumper Lea Lemare and Romania´s Daniela Haralambie.

Henrich and Kykkaenen scoring

Taylor Henrich on 26th place and Julia Kykkaenen on 27th place secured points for Canada and Finland. The second competition in Nizhny Tagil is starting on Sunday at 2.30 pm (10.30 am CET) with the qualification.

Full Results Here

Outstanding performance by Domen Prevc

Daniel Andre Tande, Domen Prevc, Stefan Kraft

Domen Prevc is the "Man of the Hour" among the world's best ski jumpers. In Lillehammer the 17-year-old took his third win this winter and he now leads the overall World Cup with 320 points, clearly ahead of Norway's Daniel Andre Tande (258 points) and Severin Freund (228 points). Daniel Andre Tande (NOR) and Austria's Stefan Kraft came in second and third in Lillehammer.

Domen Prevc on an extremely high level

After the third win of Domen Prevc this winter it's clear that the 17-year-old Slovene is the one to beat. The youngest of the three Prevc brothers is consistently jumping on an extremely high level and can only defeat himself at the moment. "It went really well for me today and I'm very satisfied with my jumps. The conditions were good and it was the same for all the competitors today. Sure, I'm the dominating athlete right now, but I know that it can change tomorrow or next week", Domen Prevc said after his win.

Peter Prevc clueless

Things are looking totally different for his brother Peter Prevc at the moment. Last winter's highflyer is struggling right now and for the second time this season, after Klingenthal, he seemed clueless. "I really don't know what's the problem at the moment", Peter Prevc said after his disappointing 30th place in Lillehammer on Saturday.

Tande and Kraft very strong

Daniel Andre Tande of Norway and Austria's Stefan Kraft are getting better and better. Second-placed Tande was happy after the competition: "I'm very satisfied after it didn't go that well for me yesterday when I didn't find the right feeling for the hill with the strong tail wind. That's why I was a bit nervous today. But I showed that I'm jumping on a high level right now, although I had a small mistake at the take-off in the second round. So there's still room for improvement for tomorrow. Today's result was the best for our team this winter and it's great to see that the others are also jumping better and better."

Stefan Kraft is also gaining momentum: "I'm very satisfied. Today I achieved what was possible. Domen and Daniel and very, very good at the moment. So far I didn't really like this hill, but that changed today and now I'm looking forward to Sunday's competition."

Polish duo strong again

Again very strong, again as a duo and again with no podium result: Kamil Stoch and Maciej Kot of Poland came in fourth and fifth today. It's only a matter of time, maybe less than 24 hours, until they can achieve their first podium finishes. The level of the Polish jumpers is very high, but so is the level of the competitions. This winter everything has to work out great for an athlete in order to be on the podium.

Eisenbichler best German again

Behind the remarkably strong Norwegian Andreas Stjernen, Markus Eisenbichler was the best German in seventh. "I made a stupid mistake in my first jump", Eisenbichler said after the competition. With the seventh place he achieved yet another top result, but, like in Klingenthal, he lost an even better result due to a mistake. But still Eisenbichler is the discovery for Germany this season. Severin Freund in 11th, Karl Geiger in 12th, Stephan Leyhe in 15th, Andreas Wellinger in 17th and Richard Freitag in 24th showed solid performances, but currently they are not capable of fighting for the top spots against athletes like Prevc, Tande and Kraft.

Vincent Descombes Sevoie of France achieved another Top 10 result in eighth. Descombes Sevoie is having the best winter of his career and is currently seventh in the overall World Cup. 

The second competition in Lillehammer already starts at 3:00 pm CET on Sunday.

Full Results Here

Takanashi back on top

Sara Takanashi ahead of Daniela Iraschko-Stolz and Jaqueline Seifriedsberger

Takanashi ahead of Iraschko-Stolz and Seifriedsberger

Sara Takanashi is back on top. The three times World Cup overall winner came back after 92,5 meters and a fourth place after the first round with a fabulous effort to 98,5 meters and scored 250,7 points. Daniela Iraschko-Stolz, who was still in the lead after round one, scored 244,1 points with jumps to 95,5 and 94,5 meters and came in second. Teammate Jaqueline Seifriedsberger put the cherry on the top for the Austrian team, scored twice 93,5 meters and finished third with 237,0 points. Takanashi said: „I am so happy today. My second jump was very good and it feels good to be on top of the podium again.“

Austrian battle

The two Austrian ladies where happy as well: „We´ve had a nice battle today. Especially my first jump was great and it feels really good sharing the podium with a teammate“, said Daniela Iraschko-Stolz. Jaqueline Seifriedsberger added: „I am very satisfied with this weekend. Yesterday I was a little unlucky with the conditions. I hope we can continue like this in the new year.“ Yesterday´s winner Maren Lundby just missed the podium by 2,1 points and finished fourth.

Russians with strong performance

Right behind her Irina Avvakumova lead a strong Russian team in front of the home crowd with 225,5 points and place five. Teammate Alexandra Kutsova, only 25th after the first jump, used the nearly perfect conditions in Nizhny Tagil with her jump to 95,0 meters in the final and finished 11th. Anastasiya Barannikova and Sofya Tikhonova came in 16th and 24th and scored as well.

Morat impressive

The 15 year old French girl Lucile Morat performed her best World Cup result so far finishing 6th and missing out the fifth place by only 0,1 points. Ema Klinec once more was the best Slovenian on the 7th place, leaving Yuki Ito and the best German Katharina Althaus behind her. Sarah Hendrickson made it back to the top ten finishing on 10th place. Maja Vtic, finishing 13th behind Yuka Seto, rounded up a descend result for her Slovenian team together with Nika Kriznar on 17 and Spela Rogelj on 23. While Svenja Würth could be happy with her 15th place, teammate Anna Rupprecht paid her 14th place with some pain. She fell after the landing in the final round and injured her knee. Rupprecht will fly back to Germany with her team on Monday and will be examined in Munich.

Pesatova with knee injury

Even worse the competition ended for Zdenka Pesatova from the Czech Republic. She also fell and suffered a knee injury. Anyway, she is also planning on leaving the hospital on Sunday night and go back home with her team as well. Romania´s Daniela Haralambie meanwhile proofed her good shape and finished the last competition before Christmas 18th. Manuela Malsiner was the best Italian like already on Saturday coming in 19 just ahead of Canada´s Taylor Henrich. Julia Kykkänen saved two world cup points for Finland finishing 29th. The next Ladies World Cup will take place in Oberstdorf (GER) from January 6th to 8th.

Full results Here