website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

wow. thats cool, I didn´t knew that. :) I know that in many places the celebrations starts tomorrow, so I´m surprised to see that your part of Mexico celebrate it like we do. We just finished the dinner and we opened the presents, so now it´s the TV time :d

btw if you want to know more about our christmas celebrations and how such 24th december "štedrý deň" - generous day, looks like, here you can find a nice article in this blog here it is http://kidworldcitizen.org/2012/12/12/christmas-in-slovakia-a-recipe-for-medovniky-slovak-honey-cookies/

Merry Christmas :)

Very interesting article... I liked the part where she tells about playing with the fish before they cook it (personally, I would have wailed and throw a tantrum if anyone touched the fish I was playing with :cry:) Also I'm intrigued by the waffers with garlic and honey... although I remember eating something in Prague during Easter which also had dough, nuts and honey.

So, I hope you continue enjoying your celebration.

Merry Christmas!!

One thing I'm interested in: are there more people who live in a country where Christmas is a thing, but who don't really have very specific traditions in their family? :p 

Like here: we do always get together on Christmas, but it's not like we always eat thing X or Y, or like we have activity Z or something. It's mostly like a regular family visit, just with a dinner included :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

A merry christmas to all of you as well.

In both Denmark and Sweden (where I am at christmas this year) the 24th is the main day.

In my family we've usually been celebrating christmas eve in Swedish manner (a major christmas lunch starting with fish (mainly herring marinated in different ways, but a lot of people also have salmon) and then different kinds of meat (both cold and heated) with a ham as the main dish. after the lunch we watch the disney "christmas special" (I believe that's mainly a nordic thing). After that it's presents and lots of different christmas cake.

Usually our family eats a Danish Christmas dinner on christmas day consisting of duck with two types of potatoes (usually boiled and a kind of sugar coated potatoes), gravy and pickled red cabbage. Others eat roast pork. As a dessert we eat risalamande which is cold rice pudding mixed with lightly whipped cream, vanilla, sugar and chopped almonds. This is served with a warm cherry sauce. A tradition is hiding one whole almond in the mix. The person getting this one wins a present.
Sadly we won't do this tomorrow, but we will eat duck on the 30th where we'll have a "second christmas" with presents from Denmark.

The 26th is very traditional when it comes to sports in Sweden, with both bandy and Ice Hockey being big events.
Denmark doesn't have any real traditional things, though the women's handball Cup ends between Christmas and New Year.

As for me, on 24th we eat fish, most commonly codfish and squid. We also decorate the house on 24th. We usually have up to three Christmas trees, but this time we have only one for the first time in years. :p

25th is the main day. We usually open the gifts when we wake up and have a buffet breakfast. On lunch we eat turkey and after that lots of different Christmas cakes (this time we prepared 6 of them :d). On 25th we also usually play Monopoly or some other board game. :d

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Very interesting article... I liked the part where she tells about playing with the fish before they cook it (personally, I would have wailed and throw a tantrum if anyone touched the fish I was playing with :cry:) Also I'm intrigued by the waffers with garlic and honey... although I remember eating something in Prague during Easter which also had dough, nuts and honey.

So, I hope you continue enjoying your celebration.

Merry Christmas!!

yes the waffers, it´s called "Oplátky" we don´t eat it with garlic or nuts, just with 1-2 teaspoon of honey, then we laid on it another wafre and everyone around the table cut one part of it and eat it. only after we start the dinner with the cabbage soup with sausages, mushrooms and dried prunes. this is just fantastic ! I love it it´s my favorite food. so yummy!

after we have ofc the carp with potato mayonnaise salad and we finish with "bobálky" a sort of sweet bread topped in milk with poppy seeds a traditional christmas dessert. extremely sweet !

and yes we eat the same menu each year, and yes everyone I know eat the same on christmas. we cook it a lot so we usually eat it for 2-3 days :d

yes the carp thing, it´s I admit a very strange tradition, but it´s so common that it´s something natural here, the whole week peoples buy carps on the streets.

even we do it, mostly because of my mum. :) she just need and want the carpe for christmas :d so we have a fish for 2-3 days in our bathtub :p

here one video I found http://www.wideopenspaces.com/slovakian-christmas-dinner-tradition-carp-bathtub-video/

hace 2 horas, heywoodu said:

One thing I'm interested in: are there more people who live in a country where Christmas is a thing, but who don't really have very specific traditions in their family? :p 

Like here: we do always get together on Christmas, but it's not like we always eat thing X or Y, or like we have activity Z or something. It's mostly like a regular family visit, just with a dinner included :d 

Here is like that, a family get-together but no specific tradition or meal, other than giving presents.

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

@heywoodu I'm just getting an information that Santa is coming to the Lowlands. :d:d

http://image.prntscr.com/image/3b6ad34e14d24eaa9420f6d7097ace11.png

Damn it, too late!

2998c8ae8c73c242f221d69b7ef59f75c0c4d6cf

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Merry Christmas everyone! :clap: I wish healthy and happiness in whole year :)

Btw. @hckosice In Poland Christmas also starts today, honestly this day (Wigilia) is the most celebrated day. :d

Here is photo like all Polish tables looks at this night :)

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania wigilijny stół

At midnight between 24th/25th in all churches is special Holy Mass, called Pasterka at which people singing Christmas carols, for me this one is the best:

Edit:

And here is my Christmas tree, although still gifts not appeared :p

Zdjęcie użytkownika Jakub Rybacki.

Edited by rybak