Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

hckosice

Biathlon 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

1,528 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It looks like biathlon races at the 2018 Olympics will be held at night, starting 21:00 local time to accomodate European tv-markets (13:00 CET). Not bad, night races are cool :)

And when NBC changes schedule then that's not cool? :p

41 minutes ago, dcro said:

And when NBC changes schedule then that's not cool? :p

Well I doubt NBC is going to change the biathlon schedules, like I just said: they're doing this for the European tv-markets, by far the biggest in biathlon :p 

19 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well I doubt NBC is going to change the biathlon schedules, like I just said: they're doing this for the European tv-markets, by far the biggest in biathlon :p 

I meant NBC changing swimming schedule. :evil:

And frankly, 21:00 local time seems very bad for the athletes.

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

I meant NBC changing swimming schedule. :evil:

And frankly, 21:00 local time seems very bad for the athletes.

Well NBC changing the swimming schedules wasn't cool, but it's definitely logical that it happened that way :p

I'll ask one of the (hopefully) participants what she thinks about a night race :d

Biathlon National Team Slovakia for season 2016/17

Mens

• Martin Otčenáš
  • Matej Kazár
  • Tomáš Hasilla
  • Miroslav Matiaško
  • Michal Šíma
  • Michal Kubaliak

Womens

• Anastasiya Kuzmina (From 2nd Stage in Pokljuka)
  • Jana Gereková
  • Paulína Fialková
  • Terézia Poliaková
  • Ivona Fialková
  • Martina Chrapanová
  • Natália Prekopová

24 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Biathlon National Team Slovakia for season 2016/17

Womens

• Anastasiya Kuzmina (From 2nd Stage in Pokljuka)
  • Jana Gereková
  • Paulína Fialková
  • Terézia Poliaková
  • Ivona Fialková
  • Martina Chrapanová
  • Natália Prekopová

Jesus, finally :d 

For the lovers of watching without understanding what's being said, here's some videos of the "Brazilian cross-country skiing sprint challenge" in Gramado last weekend (yes, that's a competition on snow, in Brazil, indoor snow, but snow). Posting it in the biathlon thread because of the participants, I think Bruna Moura has the highest chance to actually qualify for the Olympics and she's mostly focussed on biathlon :p

http://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/bom-dia-rio-grande/videos/v/atletas-da-selecao-brasileira-de-esportes-no-gelo-participaram-de-prova-em-gramado-rs/5331612/

http://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/rbs-noticias/videos/t/edicoes/v/atletas-treinam-em-gramado-para-olimpiadas-de-inverno/5330449/

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

For the lovers of watching without understanding what's being said, here's some videos of the "Brazilian cross-country skiing sprint challenge" in Gramado last weekend (yes, that's a competition on snow, in Brazil, indoor snow, but snow). Posting it in the biathlon thread because of the participants, I think Bruna Moura has the highest chance to actually qualify for the Olympics and she's mostly focussed on biathlon :p

http://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/bom-dia-rio-grande/videos/v/atletas-da-selecao-brasileira-de-esportes-no-gelo-participaram-de-prova-em-gramado-rs/5331612/

http://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/rbs-noticias/videos/t/edicoes/v/atletas-treinam-em-gramado-para-olimpiadas-de-inverno/5330449/

Nothing new for a small winter sports nation :p

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Nothing new for a small winter sports nation :p

I fail to see the meaning behind this post, whether I should read it literally or as a form of sarcasm :d 

17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Jesus, finally :d 

yep finally :d

I wonder in which level she will be, Hope she will return to her top from before the break as soon as possible, she said to our medias that her main goal is third olympic sprint gold in a row. So she hope to peak mainly in february 2018, but ofc she will try her best also this season with major focus on world championships.

Alsolooking forward about Paulína Fialková. After her carreers season last year there some expectations about her in our team. Hope she will be able to stand the pressure and continue to improve. especially after so hard trainings https://www.facebook.com/fialkovapaulina/videos/1056347721113523/ :p

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I fail to see the meaning behind this post, whether I should read it literally or as a form of sarcasm :d 

There are several small nations that had the same athlete in both XC and biathlon at the Olympics. :d

4 minutes ago, hckosice said:

yep finally :d

I wonder in which level she will be, Hope she will return to her top from before the break as soon as possible, she said to our medias that her main goal is third olympic sprint gold in a row. So she hope to peak mainly in february 2018, but ofc she will try her best also this season with major focus on world championships.

Alsolooking forward about Paulína Fialková. After her carreers season last year there some expectations about her in our team. Hope she will be able to stand the pressure and continue to improve. especially after so hard trainings https://www.facebook.com/fialkovapaulina/videos/1056347721113523/ :p

Well even if you only gets back at 90% of what she used to be it should still pretty much ensure Slovakia has 5 women's quota in Pyeongchang instead of having the fear to drop down to 2, so that's good :p 

1 minute ago, dcro said:

There are several small nations that had the same athlete in both XC and biathlon at the Olympics. :d

Ah, true :p 

As for Brazil, that's not gonna happen for the men since there's no male biathlete with a reasonable chance to qualify. As for the women, they're hoping for 2 quota in cross-country (very, very likely Jaqueline Mourão and maybe someone else, depending on whether or not Mourão qualifies a second quota), and in biathlon they're hoping for Bruna to qualify. If Mourão manages to get the 2nd quota, Mika Picin and Gabi Neres would be likely contenders for that one so I doubt we'll see anyone compete in both XC and biathlon for Brazil this time :p 

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well even if you only gets back at 90% of what she used to be it should still pretty much ensure Slovakia has 5 women's quota in Pyeongchang instead of having the fear to drop down to 2, so that's good :p 

sure, but man not want to sound arogant or so, but even without her, to not qualify 5 womens quotas to PyeongChang would be a huge embarassing disappointment !

3 minutes ago, hckosice said:

sure, but man not want to sound arogant or so, but even without her, to not qualify 5 womens quotas to PyeongChang would be a huge embarassing disappointment !

Obviously, but I mean, last season Slovakia finished 16th in the Nation Cup, where top-20 is needed for 5 quotas. They'd probably make it without Kuzmina of course, but if she's not there, they really can't have a situation where P Fialkova and/or Gerekova would get injured and be out for a month or longer. Now that Kuzmina is there again, they have more 'breathing space' in case someone gets injured, so much less reason to worry if something unexpected happens :p 

Edited by heywoodu