website statistics

Biathlon 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I honestly have no idea...last time, unused quota places were distributed to the next eligible nations, but the qualification document this time says "Reallocation of unused quota placed - Not applicable", which makes a huge difference... 

There seems to be a huge difference between Summer and Winter Olympics in general... While summer sports federations are pushed to allow more nations to qualify, the winter one's (like biathlon) are making it harder. Basically, it's a very hard task nowadays for a small winter sports nations to compete anywhere outside of alpine and cross-country. Will it kill IBU/IOC to increase the number of starters in individual events to 95-100? No.

Not only that, winter sports don't have tripartite invitations, they still have restrictions for women in many sports (women race shorter distance/have fewer qualifications spots). It's as if Winter and Summer Olympics are run by two different worlds...

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The requirements:

Gregorin, Erzen and Poje are well within the 150 after the last trimester and Gregorin and Erzen have already gotten under 125 as well this season so those three won't be a problem, like you said.

Mlakar had 198 points after the last trimester, Klemencic 220, so they'll have to fulfill either criterium A or B. They both didn't get close to 125 points in Beitostoelen at the IBU Cup, so the only option left is B, the JWCH last season:

Individual: Mlakar was 37th out of 66 (or 67 depending on whether or not a DNF counts) --> not in the top half

Sprint: Mlakar was 41st out of 65 (or 67) --> not in the top half

Pursuit: Mlakar was 43rd out of 58 --> not in the top half

Klemencic didn't compete, so as far as I can see, Slovenia only has 3 athletes who meet the WC requirements, meaning they wouldn't be allowed to start in the women's relay...

Thank you so much on such quick and accurate answer. Our media said Mlakar and Klemenčič will compete in Ridnaun on Saturday to gain those points, so I am little confused.

Just now, dcro said:

There seems to be a huge difference between Summer and Winter Olympics in general... While summer sports federations are pushed to allow more nations to qualify, the winter one's (like biathlon) are making it harder. Basically, it's a very hard task nowadays for a small winter sports nations to compete anywhere outside of alpine and cross-country. Will it kill IBU/IOC to increase the number of starters in individual events to 95-100? No.

Not only that, winter sports don't have tripartite invitations, they still have restrictions for women (women race shorter distance/have fewer qualifications spots). It's as if Winter and Summer Olympics are run by two different worlds...

Women race a shorter distance in swimming and race walking as well :p 

In biathlon women have the exact same amount of quota available as men by the way: 114 + 1 for the host nation. My biggest worry is the "Non applicable" line at the Unused Quota paragraph. I wonder if they will actually just have less athletes if a nation decides not to use all their quota (like Sweden declining all 5 women's quota in 2014). Now that I have a best friend for who something "small" like this could be almost career-defining, I noticed I'm getting much more worried about these things :p 

I wonder if it's IBU or IOC that's more behind this. In the IBU Cups, 95-100 starters are a perfectly normal number even in women's competitions, whereas men sometimes have up to 150 starters. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, justony said:

Thank you so much on such quick and accurate answer. Our media said Mlakar and Klemenčič will compete in Ridnaun on Saturday to gain those points, so I am little confused.

Aah hold on, that's what I thought about as well but I thought "nah, surely they won't try that?" :p 

But indeed: Saturday in Ridnaun there are IBU Cup sprints. If they manage to get below 125 qualifying points there (or one of them does), that athlete could jump in the car right after the race, make it to Pokljuka and start in Sunday's WC relay there :) 

So basically, if you want to know whether or not a Slovenian relay will start Sunday, keep an eye on the IBU Cup sprint on Saturday. 125 points are far away for them so the chance seems small, but you never know. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Aah hold on, that's what I thought about as well but I thought "nah, surely they won't try that?" :p 

But indeed: Saturday in Ridnaun there are IBU Cup sprints. If they manage to get below 125 qualifying points there (or one of them does), that athlete could jump in the car right after the race, make it to Pokljuka and start in Sunday's WC relay there :) 

Our team is really crazy, but after all, home race is not something you should throw away that easily. :)

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In biathlon women have the exact same amount of quota available as men by the way: 114 + 1 for the host nation. My biggest worry is the "Non applicable" line at the Unused Quota paragraph. I wonder if they will actually just have less athletes if a nation decides not to use all their quota (like Sweden declining all 5 women's quota in 2014). Now that I have a best friend for who something "small" like this could be almost career-defining, I noticed I'm getting much more worried about these things :p 

Yeah, that is just plain weird. They are actually hoping to have less than 114 + 1 athletes? Sweden and Finland will surely repeat their customs of declining. :p

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah, that is just plain weird. They are actually hoping to have less than 114 + 1 athletes? Sweden and Finland will surely repeat their customs of declining. :p

Not so sure about Sweden, at least they're starting to actually be very much on the rise this time :p 

Franziska Preuss is sick and won't start in Pokljuka. This is sad news, but it also means a place has opened up in Germany's team, which will be filled by...Denise Herrmann :d 

http://ibu.blob.core.windows.net/docs/1617/BT/SWRL/CP02/SWSP/BT_C51A_1.0.pdf

I am SO curious to see how she will do at WC-level :bounce:

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Franziska Preuss is sick and won't start in Pokljuka. This is sad news, but it also means a place has opened up in Germany's team, which will be filled by...Denise Herrmann :d 

http://ibu.blob.core.windows.net/docs/1617/BT/SWRL/CP02/SWSP/BT_C51A_1.0.pdf

I am SO curious to see how she will do at WC-level :bounce:

That image is stuck in my head of her leading the IBU cup sprint with 6 misses. She's kind of like Gossner, I guess. Lightning fast but questionable shooting.

By the way for the junior WC apparently there is a female athlete from Liechtenstein:yikes:

And we mustn't forget Brazil :cheer:

15 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

That image is stuck in my head of her leading the IBU cup sprint with 6 misses. She's kind of like Gossner, I guess. Lightning fast but questionable shooting.

By the way for the junior WC apparently there is a female athlete from Liechtenstein:yikes:

And we mustn't forget Brazil :cheer:

The difference is that Herrmann is all new and there's hope her shooting may improve significantly, for Gössner...well...it's starting to be a little late :p 

Liechtenstein? Awesome! I'll definitely ask Bruna and Gabi to provide some information on this new girl from a new nation :d