website statistics

Biathlon 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

48 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

About Greenland one of their athletes is Uiloq Slettemark's 15 year old daughter who competed at the Arctic Winter Games apparently.

I guess then she's also the daughter of Uiloq's husband? :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Øystein_Slettemark

Who, I didn't know, was born in Rio de Janeiro :yikes:

Greenlandic and Brazilian biathlon connects!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I guess then she's also the daughter of Uiloq's husband? :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Øystein_Slettemark

Who, I didn't know, was born in Rio de Janeiro :yikes:

Greenlandic and Brazilian biathlon connects!

Yeah, I've seen that before, and I've always wondered what the story was! Maybe he was born on vacation. Who knows.

By the way the race has been postponed for an hour. Possibly windy. So likely if the race does go ahead in an hour it will be tricky conditions.

Just now, ahjfcshfghb said:

Yeah, I've seen that before, and I've always wondered what the story was! Maybe he was born on vacation. Who knows.

By the way the race has been postponed for an hour. Possibly windy. So likely if the race does go ahead in an hour it will be tricky conditions.

Yep...there's no WiFi like there was in Lenzerheide, so I'm not getting trackside updates this time unfortunately :p 

I hope it's because of mist instead of wind though, seeing as Gabi loves shooting in the mist because it helps her focus. Wind might be a chance for the athletes from smaller nations as well: if they manage to get a good number of hits in, they could take advantage of a ton of athletes missing. Look at Maria Tsakiri in Beitostoelen :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yep...there's no WiFi like there was in Lenzerheide, so I'm not getting trackside updates this time unfortunately :p 

I hope it's because of mist instead of wind though, seeing as Gabi loves shooting in the mist because it helps her focus. Wind might be a chance for the athletes from smaller nations as well: if they manage to get a good number of hits in, they could take advantage of a ton of athletes missing. Look at Maria Tsakiri in Beitostoelen :) 

That's a big if. But yeah in clear conditions when everyone shoots well, Gabi would have no chance. As for Maria she hasn't missed a target this year! So who knows what she is capable of.

The first time I read your comment I actually thought of Gabi Soukalova for a second. Hahaha. Well ours is the second best Gabi out there!

Is Brazil going to the third Junior cup as well or are they instead going to the OECH?

By the way what really annoys me is how they scheduled the World Junior Champs AFTER the World Champs, so many athletes who could have qualified through finishing in the top half can't now and have to rely on doing so last year :(

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

1 minute ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

That's a big if. But yeah in clear conditions when everyone shoots well, Gabi would have no chance. As for Maria she hasn't missed a target this year! So who knows what she is capable of.

The first time I read your comment I actually thought of Gabi Soukalova for a second. Hahaha. Well ours is the second best Gabi out there!

Is Brazil going to the third Junior cup as well or are they instead going to the OECH?

By the way what really annoys me is how they scheduled the World Junior Champs AFTER the World Champs, so many athletes who could have qualified through finishing in the top half can't now and have to rely on doing so last year :(

For us there's only one Gabi :d (although I happen to know she definitely enjoys sharing her first name with Koukalova :p )

They are all going home for the holidays next week and travel back to Europe very early in January. I know Bruna (Moura) is going to do the IBU Cups in Martell and Arber and the OECH in Poland and I'm 99% sure Gabi and Caio will be at both IBU Cups as well, not sure about Lucas, but I'll ask it later today. My guess is that the team that goes to the IBU Cup will go to the OECH as well, for 2 main reasons: there are IBU points to be won at the OECH and it would probably be more cost-effective than sending someone to Poland and someone to Pokljuka, also in terms of finding a coach to accompany them and their rifles. 

I do know that they'll be going to Russia (...) for the junior worlds, but it's indeed annoying that it's after the World Champs :(

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

For us there's only one Gabi :d (although I happen to know she definitely enjoys sharing her first name with Koukalova :p )

They are all going home for the holidays next week and travel back to Europe very early in January. I know Bruna (Moura) is going to do the IBU Cups in Martell and Arber and the OECH in Poland and I'm 99% sure Gabi and Caio will be at both IBU Cups as well, not sure about Lucas, but I'll ask it later today. My guess is that the team that goes to the IBU Cup will go to the OECH as well, for 2 main reasons: there are IBU points to be won at the OECH and it would probably be more cost-effective than sending someone to Poland and someone to Pokljuka, also in terms of finding a coach to accompany them and their rifles. 

I do know that they'll be going to Russia (...) for the junior worlds, but it's indeed annoying that it's after the World Champs :(

I hope Bruna qualifies for the World Championships! The good news is this year it's the top 30 instead of top 25 nations that automatically get spots, so the 10 wildcards this year will likely be from smaller nations. Basically Latvia, Spain, Britain, Bosnia, Hungary are all covered, and they were the ones who took many of the wildcards last year. And there's not that many athletes left, I think anyone who gets under 180 will automatically be chosen!

2 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

I hope Bruna qualifies for the World Championships! The good news is this year it's the top 30 instead of top 25 nations that automatically get spots, so the 10 wildcards this year will likely be from smaller nations. Basically Latvia, Spain, Britain, Bosnia, Hungary are all covered, and they were the ones who took many of the wildcards last year. And there's not that many athletes left, I think anyone who gets under 180 will automatically be chosen!

Yep, all of those small nations who have one more or less World Cup-regular. Yesterday I heard something that gave me a lot of hope for the IBU Cups in January: at the training in Hochfilzen yesterday, Bruna was skiing behind one of the German girls who was going at near-competition speed....and then passed her :yikes:

If she's actually improved that much, then..wow, this is going to be interesting.. 

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yep, all of those small nations who have one more or less World Cup-regular. Yesterday I heard something that gave me a lot of hope for the IBU Cups in January: at the training in Hochfilzen yesterday, Bruna was skiing behind one of the German girls who was going at near-competition speed....and then passed her :yikes:

If she's actually improved that much, then..wow, this is going to be interesting.. 

:yikes::clap:

I am suddenly really excited to see how much she's improved in competition.