website statistics

Biathlon 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Interesting that you ask this, it made me look for the number of points and apparently that has changed quite drastically!

5c6cce786d.png

I am nearly sure last season it was 200 points...if they had these rules last season (they changed them during this year's IBU Congress I guess) Bruna's 244 in Obertilliach would have made her eligible to compete in the 2nd IBU Cup trimester last season :yikes:

That's great! Hopefully this means more athletes. But how do you get 250 points exactly? Do you have to be a certain time behind the winner?

Just now, ahjfcshfghb said:

That's great! Hopefully this means more athletes. But how do you get 250 points exactly? Do you have to be a certain time behind the winner?

IBU Qualifying Points = ((athlete’s time/winner’s time)-1) x Race Factor) + Race Penalty

Race Factor: for Sprint and Individual competitions 800

Race Penalty: the sum of the points of the three highest ranked athletes in the top 10 divided by 3.75

The race penalty for all WC, WCH and OWG competitions is zero (0).

Earlier in the year I made this table so when I'm at the competitions I can somewhat easily check the number of points without having to calculate stuff on my phone all the time :p (and so Bruna and the Brazilians have a better idea of what they'll need)

ca7a8daa34.png

The colour coding is just a little random, mostly because 150, 180 and 200 are/were "important" lines :p 

I've taken 40 as race penalty here. In most IBU Cups last season it was something between 30 and 40 (at least for the women), but as it depends on who ends up in the top-10, it's always a bit hard to predict exactly. That's why I used 40, so in most cases the actual number of points will be a little bit lower. 

Vertical is the winning time of the race (as you see it'll only work for sprints), horizontal is the time of athlete X behind the winner --> combine them to get the approximate number of points for athlete X :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Live timing is back and Vetle Sjastad Christiansen has finished with...yep, that's right, 0 misses :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Partakov is going to destroy Fourcade if he keeps this up :p

9943539bf6.png

Well then! Interesting! Good job!

That means since the winning time is over 25 minutes, anyone who is less than say 6:40 behind (pretty much everyone) has qualified for the next trimester already.

Yes, this new rule makes a huge difference. Last season, 375 athletes scored IBU points (eg competed in WC/IBU Cup/Open Euro). The first 332 of those had an average of less than 250 points...I suppose a lot of athletes with averages between 250 and 300 also had at least one sub-250 result so would've qualified as well :)

As for the women, 256 of 278 on the list ended the season with a sub-250 average. 

Mishka Bekauri of Georgia is the first one to get in the double digits with 10 misses...16 minutes behind at shooting 2. I talked to his compatriot Angela Bandur earlier today (she'll compete this afternoon) and she said Mishka was the one of the Georgians in best shape...her own goal is to finish the race and have fun :p 

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Mishka Bekauri of Georgia is the first one to get in the double digits with 10 misses...16 minutes behind at shooting 2. I talked to his compatriot Angela Bandur earlier today (she'll compete this afternoon) and she said Mishka was the one of the Georgians in best shape...her own goal is to finish the race and have fun :p 

Wish her the best of luck. The conditions must have been harsh though. I wonder how much training they get and how much funding there is for the sport in Georgia?

Wish her the best of luck. The conditions must have been harsh though. I wonder how much training they get and how much funding there is for the sport in Georgia?

Let's just keep it with "not a whole lot" :p 

They are going to build an actual biathlon centre in Georgia though, that might help.