Cross-Country Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weng wins Lillehammer mini tour 2016

Heidi Weng NOR

Norway's Heidi Weng has won her first FIS World Cup tour event.  

Weng began the 3 day competition in Lillehammer, Norway with her first ever sprint win and ended it with a victory in the final day 10 km classic technique pursuit.  She began the day with a 20 second lead over her teammate Ingvild Flugstad Oestberg and crossed the finish line with a 16.1 second margin of victory.  

Finland's Krista Parmakoski who started the day in 5th place picked off Norway's Marit Bjoergen and the USA's Jessie Diggins to move into 3rd place and overtook Oestberg in the final kilometer but a fall on the second last downhill gave second place back to Oestberg.  

Despite the fall, Parmakoski recorded the fastest time of the day and finished third overall for her first ever tour podium.   

Full Results Here

15326434_10154930546639925_1468783537102

Sundby battles his way to Lillehammer tour win

Martin Johnsrud Sundby NOR

Martin Johnsrud Sundby of Norway was back in familiar territory winning his fourth consecutive early season 3-Day Tour. He has now won twice in Lillehammer and twice in Ruka in tour events since 2013.  

Sundby began the day in 7th position and quickly joined a group of 12 skiers in pursuit of Sweden's Calle Halfvarsson who led the tour after the first two stages. Despite a good fight Halfvarsson was caught after the 10 km mark.

Sundby made his move on the last lap on the longest climb of the course and scattered the lead pack.   Sundby was well clear of the field and cruised home to win by 2.3 seconds.  

Twenty year old Johannes Klaebo continued to impress with a second place finish behind Sundby just ahead of Finland's Matti Heikkinen who was the day's fastest on time. Halfvarsson hung tough and finished 5th on the stage with the 21st fastest time of the day over minute behind Heikkinen's time.

Full Results Here

15349735_10154930774414925_8355848801372

1 hour ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Oh no :lol: You did say Slovak cross-country was going downhill... total embodiment of that...

Don't worry we're not doing so great either, I think we will be lucky to qualify both relay teams for the Olympics

I am sure you will have both relays in PyeongChang, the mens one is almost sure, and about the womens with the return of Smutná and a better shape of Nováková (certainly she will improve her form during the season) shouldn´t be a problem to qualify. just pity for Vrabcová-Nyvltová I heard somewhere that she is thinking to never return to skiing...but as I said, I assume :CZE will have both relays.

:SVK no chance for that, we even haven´t more than 2 mens or 2 womens with achieved eligible standards for higher rated races. Mlynár and Procházková will be probably our only athletes in PyeongChang, maybe Alena will open the door for one another girl, but it will be very hard

13 hours ago, hckosice said:

I am sure you will have both relays in PyeongChang, the mens one is almost sure, and about the womens with the return of Smutná and a better shape of Nováková (certainly she will improve her form during the season) shouldn´t be a problem to qualify. just pity for Vrabcová-Nyvltová I heard somewhere that she is thinking to never return to skiing...but as I said, I assume :CZE will have both relays.

:SVK no chance for that, we even haven´t more than 2 mens or 2 womens with achieved eligible standards for higher rated races. Mlynár and Procházková will be probably our only athletes in PyeongChang, maybe Alena will open the door for one another girl, but it will be very hard

I think Vrabcova is going to return at some point, she did say that the Olympics 'might' be a motive for her to put the skis back on, so to speak. I certainly hope so, although I doubt she would be able to repeat the 5th place from Sochi with the lack of training.