website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

By the way, how about this :p

1150b910c8.png

One additional quota place...doesn't that mean that every NOC with at least 1 athlete in the top-300 gets the basic quota plus the additional quota place, meaning a total of two quota places? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

By the way, how about this :p

1150b910c8.png

One additional quota place...doesn't that mean that every NOC with at least 1 athlete in the top-300 gets the basic quota plus the additional quota place, meaning a total of two quota places? 

"Additional" doesn't mean "additional to the basic quota". :p It's one additional provided that they have enough with athletes A standard.

#banbestmen

11 minutes ago, dcro said:

"Additional" doesn't mean "additional to the basic quota". :p It's one additional provided that they have enough with athletes A standard.

Right, smart idea from FIS/IOC to use words/sentences that can be explained in two totally different ways :whistle:

Well, not really " :d " because it's actually rather grim news.. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Qualifying for 2014 seems to have been basically the same, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-country_skiing_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_–_Qualification

How come Armenia could send 2 men, when they only had 1 athlete in the top-300 of the FIS Points List (distance)? 

Edit: Wait, the other athlete Armenia sent was 748th on the FIS Points List, but had only 86 FIS points, so he did have the A-standard..

I've rarely seen a qualifying system so insanely complicated..now I just really lost track of what this whole top-300 thing means and why "additional" has such a weird meaning. 

Edited by heywoodu

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Qualifying for 2014 seems to have been basically the same, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-country_skiing_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_–_Qualification

How come Armenia could send 2 men, when they only had 1 athlete in the top-300 of the FIS Points List (distance)? 

Edit: Wait, the other athlete Armenia sent was 748th on the FIS Points List, but had only 86 FIS points, so he did have the A-standard..

I've rarely seen a qualifying system so insanely complicated..now I just really lost track of what this whole top-300 thing means and why "additional" has such a weird meaning. 

Yep, <100 FIS points means A standard, not top-300.

#banbestmen

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yep, <100 FIS points means A standard, not top-300.

I hope you don't mind me asking probably almost the same thing but in different words a ton more times in the next few days since the whole "how can a nation get two tickets in a specific gender?"-thing is of huge importance for two friends of mine who try to qualify, so I'm dead-set on getting it exactly right :p 

At least in biathlon it's all much easier to understand.

Last question for today:

Imagine athletes A, B and C (all women from the same nation) all have less than 100 FIS points and are for example 210th, 310th and 350th on the FIS points list, does that mean this nation can send 3 women in XC? Asking because of all nations with no "Additional" quota (whatever that may be) in 2014, all of them only have either 1 or 2 per gender, none of them have 3.

42 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Last question for today:

Imagine athletes A, B and C (all women from the same nation) all have less than 100 FIS points and are for example 210th, 310th and 350th on the FIS points list, does that mean this nation can send 3 women in XC? Asking because of all nations with no "Additional" quota (whatever that may be) in 2014, all of them only have either 1 or 2 per gender, none of them have 3.

For 3rd athlete one of them has to be inside top 30.

#banbestmen

• 1 month later...

New question, this time about the FIS world championships. There's always a "qualification race" in the first days, which is 5km in the case of the women, where the top-x (10 I think) qualifies for the 10k with individual start later in the championships. Does anyone know what the rules are in terms of who does and doesn't have to participate in this race and who can start in the 10k without having to qualify first? 

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

New question, this time about the FIS world championships. There's always a "qualification race" in the first days, which is 5km in the case of the women, where the top-x (10 I think) qualifies for the 10k with individual start later in the championships. Does anyone know what the rules are in terms of who does and doesn't have to participate in this race and who can start in the 10k without having to qualify first? 

It's decided by FIS points. If my memory serves me right, the last time it was 140.00 FIS points for women and 90.00 for men, or something like that. Although I guess it's possible for it to change from year to year.

#banbestmen