website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

About the aforementioned races in Arber, here a view from the live timing:

2acabf1b68.png

I honestly wonder why they'd put a time check after 0,2km in a 7,5km race :lol:

Edit: Waaait I think I know: the start is next to the shooting range, while in the lap they go 'through' (where you'd stand/prone for shooting in biathlon) the shooting range, so I guess it's got something to do with that :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 1.5s behind a big name like Vrabcova, good start to the 10k :d 

fda2993cfe.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I was going through the start list for tomorrow's 10k F at the Continental/Alpen Cup in Arber in Germany, and look who's on that start list!

cf3944a9f5.png

Eva Vrabcova-Nyvltova in what is apparently her first race since November 2015, I had no idea she was out for so long :yikes:

Did she get a baby or something? 

Great to see her back! I didn't expect she would come back this year. I thought she'd continue with athletics a little while longer.

2 hours ago, dareza said:

hm, Matveeva was 1st in 1/4, but she is not is sf?

She was put in last place because of 'obstruction' (getting in the way of another competitor) :p 

227.18 FIS points for Bruna in Arber, by far her best ever result outside South America :cheer::cheer:

I'm curious if it was a 'test race' again. Yesterday she tested some other kind of wax in the sprint qualifying and it turned out so bad that she had to be double poling to get some speed.....on the downhill! :p 

Edited by heywoodu

Nilsson and Klaebo win final sprint before Lahti 2017

9k=

Stina Nilsson of Sweden continued her career battle with Norway's Maiken Caspersen Falla in the ladies' free technique sprint and Norway's up and coming star Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo recorded his anticipated first World Cup win.  

Nilsson moved into the lead 6-5 in free technique sprint wins versus Falla with her win today in Otepää.  Nilsson was the day's fastest qualifier and in the end the day's final winner by 0.27 seconds ahead of Falla.   Nilsson with 6 wins in skate sprints moves into a tie with Petra Majdic (SLO) and Arianna Follis (ITA) for 5th all time.  Falla has now finished in the top two in 11 out of 12 of her last World Cup sprints in free technique.  She has 5 wins and 6 second place finishes.  In third place with Heidi Weng of Norway who continues to add to her Overall World Cup standings lead finishing +3.75 second behind Nilsson.  Falla, despite giving up 20 points to Nilsson in the sprint standings continues to lead by 142 points over Nilsson.  

Klaebo who sits second in the World Cup sprint standings has shown all season that he is capable to ski with the World's best at any distance despite being just 20 years old.  Today's he finally got his first World Cup victory and is now just 20 points behind Federico Pellegrino.  In second place in today's sprint was Finn Hagen Krogh (NOR) +0.60 behind Klaebo. In third place was Russia's Sergey Ustiugov the 2017 Tour de Ski winner +1.00 back. 

Competitions continue tomorrow in Otepää with 10/15 km interval start classic competitions.  The ladies' 10 km C starts at 10:15 CET (11:15 local time) and the men's 15 km C begins at 12:15 CET (13:15 local time).

Z

Full Results Men and Women

Bjoergen wins 10 km classic in Otepää

9k=

In the final World Cup competition before the start of the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships in Lahti, Finland Marit Bjoergen of Norway won her 106th World Cup in dominant fashion.   Bjoergen won the ladies' 10 km classic interval start competition in Otepää, Estonia by 26 seconds over Sweden's Charlotte Kalla who took second place and 57.2 seconds ahead of the Overall World Cup leader Heidi Weng in third.  Both Bjoergen and Kalla have competed selectively this season with Bjoergen returning from pregnancy and Kalla coming back from a health scare during week one in Ruka, Finland.  However, both showed they are race ready with the start of Lahti 2017 just 4 days away. 

Full Results Here

Sundby in top form in Otepää 15 km classic win

Z

Martin Johnsrud Sundby of Norway was in top form in today's 15 km classic interval start competition in Otepää, Estonia.  Sundby bested second place finisher Iivo Niskanen of Finland by 37.1 seconds.  Norway's Hans Christer Holund took third place +49.1 seconds back.  It was just his third career individual World Cup podium.  

Finland place two skiers in the top 5 (Heikkinen 5th +58.1) as the World Cup now turns it's attention to the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships in Lahti, Finland.  Competitions begin Thursday 23 February with free technique sprints.

Full Results Here

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile in Sweden, it's Vasaloppet day :wub:

Almost 2 hours into the race now, 48km to go :p