website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Ustiugov wins Tour de Ski in record fashion

Tour de Ski 2017 podium

Sergey Ustiugov of Russia, a World champion at the Junior and U23 levels is now a winner of the FIS Tour de Ski. Ustiugov impressively won 5 of 7 stages - a record for the Tour - in the 11th edition of the Tour de Ski to finish with a 1:02.9 minute lead over Norway's Martin Johnsrud Sundby.  Sundby managed to pull back only 9 seconds on the final stage climb up Alpe Cermis.  Perhaps the most exciting part of the men's competition was the battle for places 3rd - 7th which featured some of the World's fastest climbers. Switzerland's Dario Cologna began the day in third place roughly 30 seconds ahead of Finland's Matti Heikkinen and France's Maurice Manificat and was at one point with less than one kilometer remaining joined by Manificat.  Despite Manificat and Heikkinen recording the first and second fastest times of the day, Cologna held on for third place in the Tour overall finishing +1:19.1 behind Ustiugov and 7.8 seconds ahead of Manificat.  Heikkinen crossed the finish line another 4.4 seconds later for 5th place.  

After finishing second place on time twice before Manificat completed the 9 km final stage in a time of 29:20.0 for the best of the day.  Norway's Hans Christer Holund recorded the third fastest time of the day +15.8 seconds back.  Heikkinen in second place was just +6.1 behind Manificat.  Sweden's Marcus Hellner who moved from 7th to 6th place on the final stage was the 4th fastest on the day +19.0, just ahead of Cologna in 5th +22.7.  Ustiugov recorded the 16th (1:07.7), Sundby 12th (58.7) and Canada's Alex Harvey who started the day in 3rd slipped to 7th with the 14th (1:04.9) time on the stage.  

Full Results Here

Tour de Ski 2016/17 Final Standings Here

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matveeva and Skar win Toblach sprints

Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people standing, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

Natalia Matveeva (RUS) and Sindre Bjoernestad Skar (NOR) have won the 1.3 km free technique sprints in Toblach, Italy both in photo finishes.  For Matveeva it was her second career individual sprint victory.  Her first came back in 2007 in Dusseldorf, Germany.  Matveeva followed the World Cup overall sprint leader Maiken Caspersen Falla of Norway onto the finishing stretch and managed to win by just 0.08 seconds.  In third place was Sweden's Hanna Falk for her third podium of the season.  The World Cup sprint standings top 3 is shared by today's top 3 ladies but with Falla with a big lead followed by Falk and Matveeva who are separated by just 2 points.  

On the men's side it was the first World Cup victory ever for Skar.  He as well won in a photo finish just ahead of the USA's Simeon Hamilton by just 0.03.  This was Hamilton's second sprint podium in a row in Toblach.  He was second here as well in December 2015 behind at that time Federico Pellegrino.  In third place with his third podium of the season was Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo of Norway.  Norway's Paal Golberg with his 7th place finish today took over the World Cup sprint lead ahead of Russia's Sergey Ustiugov.  Ustiugov coming off his Tour de Ski victory fell in qualification and finished in 70th place today.  Golberg leads over Ustiugov by just 8 points.

Full Results Women and Men

Russia and Canada on top in Toblach team sprints

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2OELDQXgAEP99e.jpg:large

On the second day of sprint action Russia and Canada were victorious in the team sprint competitions in Toblach, Italy.  Natalia Matveeva (RUS), as she did the day before stole the win in the final meters just 0.04 seconds ahead of Sweden 1 anchored by Hanna Falk.  Norway's Maiken Caspersen Falla led into the final curve but was unable to hold off the attacks from both Russia and Sweden.  Falla crossed the line just +0.11 from the lead.  It was Falla's teammate Astrid Urenholdt Jacobsen that blew the race open on her final leg and made it a four team race with Germany chasing as the 4th team.  Germany's Sandra Ringwald had a very strong final leg and just missed out on a podium spot by +0.36 seconds.  Ringwald was paired with Denise Herrmann who returned from Biathlon in the hopes of hitting qualifying standards for a spot on the German team for the Lahti World Ski Championships.  It was a first time World Cup podium and win for the current U23 World Cup leader Yulia Belorukova of Russia.  

In the men's competition it was a last minute decision by Canada to enter a team for the sprint event that turned into a first ever World Cup team sprint victory (Canada previously won at the World Championships in 2011).  The team of Lenny Valjas and Alex Harvey stayed in contention throughout the final but it wasn't until the final climb when Harvey took control of the race leading down into the stadium for the victory.  That was the only time this weekend when the leading athlete entering the homestretch hung on for the win.  For the second place team made up of Karl-Johan Westberg and Oskar Swensson representing Sweden I it was for both their first ever World Cup podiums.  They crossed the line +.53 seconds behind Canada and just 0.12 seconds ahead of the third place team of Dietmar Noekler and Federico Pellegrino (ITA) the winners of the last team sprint competition on World Cup in Planica last season.  Despite a crash on the second lap for Pellegrino they were able to battle back and fight for a podium spot.  

Full Results Men and Women

Québec City to host FIS Cross-Country World Cup Finals 2017

Québec City (CAN) to host FIS Cross-Country World Cup Final 2017

FIS is pleased to announce that the organiser of the FIS Cross-Country World Cup Final 2017 will be Québec City (CAN) from 17th – 19th March 2017.

FIS had several weeks of consultations with four National Ski Associations that expressed interest in taking over the upcoming World Cup Final and would like to express gratitude to all for their commitment to Cross-Country Skiing and their interest in taking over the Cross-Country World Cup Final.

Quebec Winter Events Corporation, Cross-Country Canada and Gestev as an experienced organiser will organise a top-level World Cup Final and close the FIS Cross Country World Cup presented by Viessmann season with a well organised and professional event.
Competition programme

The 2017 FIS Cross Country World Cup Final will take place from 17th -19th March during a three-day event (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) with one sprint and two distance races. The exact formats and starting times will be communicated later after further discussion with all the key stakeholders.

Quick repeat of my earlier question about XC at the Olympics and the options for a nation to get two tickets in the same gender.

Jaqueline Mourão has raced in Europe in the past days/week, where in the Czech Republic she scored the following points:

Sprint - 232.56

Distance - 169.19 + 169.91

On top of that, she already had the following results/points earlier in the season:

60b2edcf58.png

Now, what I've been hearing since her results in the Czech Republic of last weekend is that she got the "A-limit" for the Olympics and the Brazilian federation is absolutely convinced that means they'll be able to send two female cross-country skiers to the Olympics, maybe as long as the other one gets a result of below 300 FIS points. 

Are we all missing something and are they right, or are they really missing something and are they wrong, with Brazil still only having one women's quota? If for example Mika Picin or Bruna Moura want to join Mouão in Pyeongchang, which concrete results do they have to have in order to qualify? 

Sorry for all the questions about this, but it's confusing when there are so many different things you hear about it and when at the same time it's something so important.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Quick repeat of my earlier question about XC at the Olympics and the options for a nation to get two tickets in the same gender.

Jaqueline Mourão has raced in Europe in the past days/week, where in the Czech Republic she scored the following points:

Sprint - 232.56

Distance - 169.19 + 169.91

On top of that, she already had the following results/points earlier in the season:

Now, what I've been hearing since her results in the Czech Republic of last weekend is that she got the "A-limit" for the Olympics and the Brazilian federation is absolutely convinced that means they'll be able to send two female cross-country skiers to the Olympics, maybe as long as the other one gets a result of below 300 FIS points. 

Are we all missing something and are they right, or are they really missing something and are they wrong, with Brazil still only having one women's quota? If for example Mika Picin or Bruna Moura want to join Mouão in Pyeongchang, which concrete results do they have to have in order to qualify? 

Sorry for all the questions about this, but it's confusing when there are so many different things you hear about it and when at the same time it's something so important.. 

Their presumption is so wrong, very optimistic in fact. :p

Looking at Mourao's results, she is way above the maximum of 100 FIS points which are required for "A" standard. This basically means that, as of today, Brazil will only be allowed to send one female racer who will be allowed to start in only one race (either 10km free or sprint classic).

To get an "A" standard her average of distance FIS points has to be under 100. And having one "A" standard does not guarantee the second quota. "A" standard merely allows the racer to start in all of the individual events. Having two athletes requires both of them having an "A" standard AND one of them being inside the top 300 on the Olympic FIS points list (distance or sprint).

If the rules were as generous as Brazilians think, then even the exotic likes of Mongolia and Iran would be able to have two female racers.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Their presumption is so wrong, very optimistic in fact. :p

Looking at Mourao's results, she is way above the maximum of 100 FIS points which are required for "A" standard. This basically means that, as of today, Brazil will only be allowed to send one female racer who will be allowed to start in only one race (either 10km free or sprint classic).

To get an "A" standard her average of distance FIS points has to be under 100. And having one "A" standard does not guarantee the second quota. "A" standard merely allows the racer to start in all of the individual events. Having two athletes requires both of them having an "A" standard AND one of them being inside the top 300 on the Olympic FIS points list (distance or sprint).

The top-300, period, or the top-300 when considering only a maximum number of athletes per NOC (the 'cleaned' points list)? 

I really wish I thought about this earlier so I could have directly talked about this with the federation guy who was with the biathlon team the past weeks, but I totally forgot. I just can't get it through my head how they could be so wrong about something seriously important like this (and I definitely trust your judgement about these things a lot more..). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The top-300, period, or the top-300 when considering only a maximum number of athletes per NOC (the 'cleaned' points list)? 

I really wish I thought about this earlier so I could have directly talked about this with the federation guy who was with the biathlon team the past weeks, but I totally forgot. I just can't get it through my head how they could be so wrong about something seriously important like this (and I definitely trust your judgement about these things a lot more..). 

The top-300 period.

Having two racers per gender at the Olympics is not an easy task. Lithuania for example was allowed to have only 1 per gender in Sochi, and they do have some tradition in both cross-country and biathlon. Spain was allowed to have only one female racer even though they had Laura Orgue at the time, and she was even capable of getting top 30 finishes at WC level.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

The top-300 period.

Having two racers per gender at the Olympics is not an easy task. Lithuania for example was allowed to have only 1 per gender in Sochi, and they do have some tradition in both cross-country and biathlon. Spain was allowed to have only one female racer even though they had Laura Orgue at the time, and she was even capable of getting top 30 finishes at WC level.

Thanks! At least the athletes are also fairly confident that the federation is wrong, that's a good thing I guess.