website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

1 minute ago, dcro said:

It's decided by FIS points. If my memory serves me right, the last time it was 140.00 FIS points for women and 90.00 for men, or something like that. Although I guess it's possible for it to change from year to year.

I had a feeling it was something like that, which would make sense. Well damn, then it's 99% impossible for Bruna to not have to do the qualifying race and also quite certain she will have to qualify for the 10k the hard way in order to compete against Jacqueline Mourão for the first time :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

New question, this time about the FIS world championships. There's always a "qualification race" in the first days, which is 5km in the case of the women, where the top-x (10 I think) qualifies for the 10k with individual start later in the championships. Does anyone know what the rules are in terms of who does and doesn't have to participate in this race and who can start in the 10k without having to qualify first? 

page 27 http://medias1.fis-ski.com/pdf/2017/CC/2217/2017CC2217PROG.pdf

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

Life saver :bowdown:

Still one question though:

A qualification competition (5 km for ladies and 10km for men) will be held on February 22nd 2017 for the athletes who didn’t reach these requirements. The top 10 ranked competitors will be allowed to start in the distance competitions (10/15km Interval Start, Skiathlon and 30/50 km Mass Start) as part of their nation’s quota under the condition that they have achieved less than 180 FIS points (including the penalty) for the ladies

This "less than 180 FIS points" means less tha 180 points in this qualification race I guess? As in, athletes who finish top-10 in the Q race and have less than 180 FIS points in the same race, will be allowed to start in the three distance competitions? That would be sort of weird, for example in Falun two years ago just the top-2 got less than 180 points and only a few even came close to that, but still the entire top-10 started in the 10km.

http://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/results.html?sector=CC&competitorid=142625&raceid=24154

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Life saver :bowdown:

yep, my average day :d

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This "less than 180 FIS points" means less tha 180 points in this qualification race I guess? As in, athletes who finish top-10 in the Q race and have less than 180 FIS points in the same race, will be allowed to start in the three distance competitions? 

I guess yes thats the condition

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I had a feeling it was something like that, which would make sense. Well damn, then it's 99% impossible for Bruna to not have to do the qualifying race and also quite certain she will have to qualify for the 10k the hard way in order to compete against Jacqueline Mourão for the first time :p 

Can't they do that on any other FIS race? :p And WCh is going to be in classic style... Quite irrelevant if Olympics are concerned.

#banbestmen

8 hours ago, dcro said:

Can't they do that on any other FIS race? :p And WCh is going to be in classic style... Quite irrelevant if Olympics are concerned.

No, because Mourão mostly competes in Canada (I'm guessing especially next month she will, since that's where she got the best FIS points in her career last year). After the Sochi Olympics she hasn't competed anywhere outside North America, whereas the rest of the Brazilians have FIS races (on rollerskis) in São Carlos in October and November. 

And true, but it's not about the Olympics...it's about Bruna wanting to beat Mourão in a direct fight :p 

I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of time for that anymore (Mourão isn't the youngest and I wouldn't be surprised if she retires after Pyeongchang), so the world champs are the perfect opportunity :d 

• 4 weeks later...

Alena Procházková winning first point(s) of WC season already in the first race :clap: 25th in the Ruka sprint qualifications with BIB 37 and advance for the QF. our Cross-country participation already saved also for the next World Cups season, well done Alena :yes

Huge sprinting talent Johannes Klaebo of Norway sets the fastest time in qualifying :bowdown:

Third place for Estonian Marko Kilp, who seems to be quite a weird kind of athlete. In his previous 15 attempts, he has qualified for the knock-out stage only once..and how, by finishing 3rd in the Liberec 2013 qualifying. And now all of a sudden he gets another 3rd place out of the complete blue :d 

c8c73cbf6e.png

Wow, Klaebo was impressive in the 1st heat :yikes:

No final for Oestberg and Bjoergen, Nilsson beats Falla in the final :d

Now it's time for the men's final and I think we might just see the first World Cup victory of a new phenomenal cross-country skier..the way Klaebo has been flying up the hill before the last turn is amazing.