Men's Alpine Combined Super G:

INNERHOFER Christof fall and long way down

KUERNER Miha fall (lag warning)

VON APPEN Henrik goes hard into netting

BUZZI Emanuele fall

Edited by ziomkris1

Shiffrin sweeps Semmering for venue hat-trick

Semmering night slalom podium 2016

Under the lights in Semmering, Austria, American Mikaela Shiffrin completed the hat-trick on Thursday by claiming the third and final race at the venue for 2016, the night slalom. Despite some bobbles in both runs, she bested the last Semmering slalom victor, Veronika Velez Zuzulova of Slovakia, by 0.64 seconds. Wendy Holdener of Switzerland, who continues to chase the elusive slalom victory, rounded out the podium in third place. 

The last time Shiffrin raced in Semmering four years ago, she departed the venue without a result. This year, she leaves with three consecutive tech wins in three days, and it's the first time the ladies' tour has seen such a feat since Vreni Schneider did so in 1989. 

“I felt like I was fighting, so I’m proud of that,” Shiffrin said. “I didn’t even know that was a record, I was just trying to ski fast and have some fun. I’m still searching to have a perfect run and a really fast run, but sometimes it’s better to fight. So I did that today and I’m happy. I was trying to think about how Marcel Hirscher or maybe Henrik [Kristoffersen] would ski it. I don’t think I came close to that, but I was trying to channel that energy.”

Shiffrin held a slim 0.09-second advantage over Velez Zuzulova after the first run. And when the Slovakian charged hard in the second run and crossed the finish line with the green light and a 0.90-second lead over Holdener, she seemed like a very probable winner. Despite Shiffrin getting kicked onto her tails several times in the second run, the American found speed in the final interval typical of her style to pull off the upset. 

“For sure it’s hard because I try every race. But I feel better and better, and I hope it will go on the right way and it will come at the right time," said Velez Zuzulova, who was still pleased to stand on the podium for the evening.

Holdener, meanwhile, collected her fourth slalom podium result of the season and eighth of her career. Despite a serious mistake in the first run when she slid low on the race line, she fought to pull off the third-place finish. 

"The first run was tougher than the second because it was turnier," Holdener noted. “Yesterday I had the same problems. I had to fight a lot so I was used to it today."

The ladies' tour moves on to Zagreb, Croatia, for another night slalom on 3 January, where Holdener will aim to be the first Swiss woman to win a World Cup slalom race since Marlies Öster in 2002. 

"At the moment, I need some training days. But when I ski like I can, I can win," Holdener said.

Full Results Here

Mikaela Shiffrin 1st Run

Veronika Velez Zuzulová 2nd Run

Mikaela Shiffrin 2nd Run

12 minutes ago, hckosice said:

after 3 years break Bosnia and Herzegovina will compete tomorrow in Zagrebs womens slalom, last time :BIH started in womens world cup was in Bormio on January 2014 before Sochi.

Cool, hopefully Croatia can break similar long streak tomorrow too, however unlikely that might be. :p The last time we got points in women's skiing was in 2011...

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

Cool, hopefully Croatia can break similar long streak tomorrow too, however unlikely that might be. :p The last time we got points in women's skiing was in 2011...

Thats really unfortunate to see your womens skiing with so bad results right now, I always remember the great times of Croatian skiing even after the retirement of Janica you had in Nika Fleiss and Ana Jelusic very good skiers able to regularly win nice points, pitty for the current crisis, Leona will certainly try tomorrow her best but it seems a difficult task

16 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Thats really unfortunate to see your womens skiing with so bad results right now, I always remember the great times of Croatian skiing even after the retirement of Janica you had in Nika Fleiss and Ana Jelusic very good skiers able to regularly win nice points, pitty for the current crisis, Leona will certainly try tomorrow her best but it seems a difficult task

Yep, having 3 skiers in second run was a usual scenario back then...

Leona was however 0.29 outside of 2nd run in Killington, so maybe there is a chance.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

after 3 years break Bosnia and Herzegovina will compete tomorrow in Zagrebs womens slalom, last time :BIH started in womens world cup was in Bormio on January 2014 before Sochi.

Which is pretty sad considering that BiH is a mountainous country, 4 olympic mountains, 13 peaks above 2000m...