website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Super-G hat-trick for Kjetil Jansrud in Santa Caterina!

Impressions World Cup Santa Caterina 2016

The cancelled Super-G of Lake Louise has been rescheduled in Santa Caterina, ahead of the traditional downhill on 28thand the alpine combined on 29th. Norway’s Kjetil Jansrud was unbeatable on the Deborah Compagnoni course today. Hannes Reichelt and Dominik Paris rounded out the podium.

Starting with bib number 5, South Tyrolean Dominik Paris was the first to lay down a strong run and set a reference time of 1:31.53. After his third place in the Super-G in Val d’Isère, Paris was a serious contender and the pressure from the Italian crowd was palpable. In the end, it’s a third place, second podium of the season for Dominik Paris. “It’s feeling very good,” the Italian said. “It’s so good to stand on the podium at home…a lot of emotions.”

Austria didn’t have the best start in the speed season, but it seems that last week’s victory relieved the whole team, including Hannes Reichelt, who earns a good second place in today’s Super-G. The World Champion comes a long way, as he suffered different injuries since his last podium in January. “Last year, 2016, was not so easy for me,” he explained. “After my podium in Kitzbuehel, I had the crash. Then in summertime, I had surgery, so coming back was not easy.”

The dominance of the Norwegians in the speed discipline is impressive again this year. Especially Kjetil Jansrud is on fire and claims three back-to-back wins in the three first Super-Gs of the season. Despite some minor health problems in the past days, Jansrud keeps up his winning streak and becomes the second man to win the three first Super-Gs of a World Cup season. “I’m feeling awesome,” he said.

“There’s not much to say. You never expect the wins. In some ways, I’m skiing very confidently this whole season, but also these last races…I’m just enjoying the flow for the moment and hopefully, it’ll continue.”

Tomorrow, a downhill is scheduled to start at 11.45 on the same course in Santa Caterina. Hopefully the windy weather forecast doesn’t put a spoke in the organisers’ wheel.

Full Results Here

Kjetil Jansrud

Shiffrin stands alone atop the GS podium

Výsledok vyhľadávania obrázkov pre dopyt semmering giant slalom podium mikaela shiffrin tessa worley manuela moelgg

The replacement race from the cancelled GS in Courchevel was held in Semmering on Tuesday to the delight of the Austrian crowd in attendance. An exciting opening run had athletes continuing to come down with the lead, one besting the next even outside the top seed. 

Mikaela Shiffrin didn’t think bib 15 would be a great start number in the morning, but it didn’t matter for her as she skied to a 0.27-second lead after the first run. Manuela Moelgg led the ever-solid Italian team in second, and her teammate Marta Bassino was third at 0.49 seconds off the lead. Even Taina Barioz got into the mix, sitting fifth from bib 20. 

“It was so much fun, and I felt relaxed and really clean. It was nice to ski that,” Shiffrin said between runs. “I came into this race thinking gosh, I have to be excited to race – not dread it and have to come up with a plan. Just go and see what happens, and it felt good.” 

The firm surface which froze solid overnight held up through the second run as light snowfall fell from the sky. Lara Gut, who sat an uncharacteristic 17th after encountering trouble on the first run, charged hard in the second to hold the leader box through 11 challengers. Tessa Worley also had her turn in the hot seat, but she was finally pushed to second place with a blazing second run by Shiffrin.

"It was a tough race: icy, bumpy, everything I like. Mikaela did a great two runs. I did a bad top section on the first, so I'm really happy with second place and with my second run attacking from top to bottom," said Worley. "I love it. I love having two chances like this, and I'm going to make the best of it," she added, looking ahead to Wednesday's race. 

Gut ultimately finished fourth and Bassino fifth, as Moelgg rounded out the podium in third for her first appearance in the top 3 since 2011. 

"I [took] a lot of time to come back, but I'm here. I'm not the youngest – but not a bad one," said Moelgg, who skied with Shiffrin in Italy over the short Christmas break. "Yeah, she was with me at home and we had a nice time and good training." 

For Shiffrin, it marked her second career victory in GS but the first time alone with the win. She previously tied Anna Veith in the Sölden opener in 2014. 

"It was a fight, but it's easier to ski like that. It was so simple. So it was easier but I fought more, which was nice," concluded Shiffrin. 

Veith made her return to competition in Semmering after a 14-month hiatus due to a knee injury. She did not qualify for a second run, but she spent time in the finish area conducting interviews with the media. 

Maria Pietilae-Holmner, who sat fourth after first run, had an aggressive crash near the finish line but was able to walk off the slope through the finish area. 

The ladies will race a second GS at Semmering on Wednesday with start times at 10:30/13:30 CET.

Full results Here

Mikaela Shiffrin 1st Run

Mikaela Shiffrin 2nd Run

Winter Wonderland in Semmering today :wub:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Jelinkova :NED  on live tv, thank you FIS for postponing Santa Caterina :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!