website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

2 minutes ago, ziomkris1 said:

Are you talking about my video?

No, about Pinturault's crash in run 2 today :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Retribution podium for the ladies in Val d'Isere super-G

Val d'Isere ladies' super-G podium

All three athletes who hit the super-G podium at Val d'Isere on Sunday had something to prove before leaving the French resort. After two DNFs in a row, Lara Gut of Switzerland had the most to leave on the slope and did so with an impressive – although imperfect – run to seal the retribution victory 0.13 seconds ahead of Liechtenstein's Tina Weirather. Italian Elena Curtoni matched her career-best result with third place, at 1.21 seconds off the win. 

“I felt good on the slope and the difference in the end was just that I realized in the last days how many amazing people I have around me. They give me so much energy, and it just made me believe that in the end it doesn’t have to be perfect. I just have to take what I have and try to give my best," said Gut. "So today I just went to the start and knew that a few things could get better. When you go out twice, it’s not the best condition to try to win a race. But I was like, that’s me, I’m just going to give the slope everything I have, and we will see.”

Weirather was equally seeking retribution on the O.K. slope.

“You could totally tell from just seeing the times today who was really frustrated – Lara and definitely had something open with this slope and really wanted to do well and had some anger in us, and we were able to put it in the snow," said Weirather. “Today it was a tricky course because there were really straight gates and then one really cranking turn  once in a while so you had to know where they were and then really go straight for the straight ones and round for the round ones. You didn’t really feel that you had a rhythm at all because it was changing so fast, and that was the secret to success.”

After posting a bow and arrow analogy on her social media accounts, Curtoni explained that sometimes people have to face setbacks to move forward.

“That’s my season so far, and that’s my life so far. I think from a down moment you always come up, and it’s just to trust it and to put your heart in it," said Curtoni. “It is really hard. I was crying like a baby yesterday, so I can’t believe I was able to put my heart and my soul into the slope today. But I think it’s the right way to get back on the track.” 

The ladies' tour will contest one more race before the December holiday, a giant slalom at Courchevel, France, scheduled for Tuesday.

Full Results Here

Lara Gut

Hirscher stays king of Alta Badia GS

Impressions World Cup Alta Badia 2016

Austrian Marcel Hirscher continued his dominance in Alta Badia (ITA) as the defending World Cup Overall winner, took home his fourth straight giant slalom victory on the Gran Risa course.

It was the first victory for Hirscher this season in the giant slalom, although he had two second place finishes in the young 2016-17 season.

Hirscher was the man to beat the entire day as his consistent skiing gave him the fastest time on both the first and second runs. He started the second run with a 0.21 second advantage over Mathieu Faivre (FRA) and in the end added another half second to the margin as he won by 0.71 seconds. Faivre ended the race in second place, in another strong showing for the Frenchman, who celebrated his first career World Cup victory two weeks ago in Val d’Isere.

Much to the delight of the packed crowd, the Italian team placed a racer in the top three after Florian Eisath took home third place. Zan Kranjec (SLO) was a surprise fourth-place finisher, his run today matched his previous best career World Cup finish, when he also took fourth this season in Soelden.

There were surprises in the DNF column as well as Ted Ligety (USA) didn’t make it far on his first run.  Other notable DNF’s from the first run included Aleksander Aamodt Kilde (NOR), Carlo Janka (SUI) and Philipp Schoerghofer (AUT). Also Alexis Pinturault (FRA) came away with no World Cup points after he suffered a crash in his second run, but fortunately looked to be uninjured.

It was Hirscher’s 41st career World Cup win, which now moves him up to fourth on the all-time victory list. Hirscher will look to add to his victory total tomorrow when anything is possible for the nighttime parallel giant slalom. Last year, speed ace Kjetil Jansrud (NOR) took home the crown, so this year the technical racers are sure to be hungry for the victory. 

Full Results Here

Marcel Hirscher 1st Run

Marcel Hirscher 2nd Run

2 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Today I found out that Palestine sent a girl who was at a beginner's ski level to the Asian Winter Games in alpine skiing...

You see what happened? She french fried when she should have pizza'd. If you french fry when you should pizza, you're gonna have a bad time. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Lara Gut is Swiss athlete of the year! :champion: :)

And for the PGS right now, Hirscher loses in the first round once again. Now's the time for Jansrud and Pinturault to gain some points, don't screw this up!

Edited by Federer91

And of course when it comes to parallel events, they have stupid rules everywhere. Snowboard has only one run and alpine has 2 runs in the 1/16 and afterwards one runs only. :facepalm:It isn't difficult to figure out that in the first round you should have only 1 runs, so that the back athletes have a chance at an upset, but from the 1/4 onwards, or the 1/2 if you like, there should be 2 runs, so it's most fair for all athletes that have reached the stage for a potential win. But of course FIS cares for the TV time more, so that everything finishes in an hour or so...