website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Peter Fill, Ilka Stuhec claim downhill crystal globes

9k=

The Italian men's team had much to celebrate on Wednesday in Aspen, Colo., as Dominik Paris won the last downhill race of the season and his teammate Peter Fill claimed his second consecutive discipline crystal globe, edging out Norwegian Kjetil Jansrud by just 23 points in the final standings. Paris also finished the season ranked third in downhill.  

"The last race wasn't too easy for me, I was far behind the other guys which actually probably motivated me for this race," said Paris, who selected bib No. 1 due to the weather. "I knew it would be warm, and so I'm happy I made the decision to take No. 1. The snow only got softer."

Fill finished the race in second place to secure the second downhill title of his career after Jansrud, who led the standings heading into the day, finished 11th in the race and second in the discipline standings. Swiss Carlo Janka rounded out the race podium in third.

"It was hard. It was good skiing. Again, I was every time close on the victory. No victory this year in downhill, but in the end, I pick up the thing that counts, and that's the nicest thing," said Fill.  And today, a special day for the Italians with Dominik's win and to have second and then, the globe. I think we have the best team – small team, but a good team. Thank you to the whole team. They work really well and the love, and they push us to go faster, and we see the results. So, thank you all the team, service guy, sponsors, thank you!"

In the ladies' downhill, Slovenia's Ilka Stuhec won both the race and her career first discipline title over Italian Sofia Goggia, who finished third in the race, by a convincing 137 points.

"It’s amazing. I mean it’s been an incredible season and right now that this [globe] is here, it’s heavy. Everything else will come later, I guess," said Stuhec. "I wanted to do like every other time this season like ski the best way possible and do my best and we’ll see what comes. And ending the season with a win and a globe, it’s pretty good."

Lindsey Vonn slid into the air fence in the finish and had to be extricated by race staff but not before she claimed the second spot on the podium. 

Despite not participating in the end of the winter due to injury, Lara Gut finished third in the downhill season standings. 

The ladies and men each race a super-G on Thursday at World Cup Finals in Aspen.

9k=

Full Results Men and Women

2016/17 World Cup Downhill Final Ranking Men and Women

2Q==

Dominik Paris

Ilka Stuhec

Weirather wins final SG race for globe, Jansrud collects his

2Q==

A bright sunshine and warm temperatures attracted thousands of spectators for the second race day of the World Cup Finals in Aspen, where both Super-G races were held today. On the ladies side, Tina Weirather claimed both the race win and the globe, while Hannes Reichelt was the fastest of the day on the men’s side, and Kjetil Jansurd collected his third career globe.

Tina Weirather and Ilka Stuhec were the only candidates for the super-g season title, with the Slovenian having a 15 points lead over the athlete from Liechtenstein. With bib number 5, Weirather laid down a very solid run, one that no one after her would be able to beat. Even Stuhec, who topped two super-gs this season and earned the downhill globe yesterday, crossed the finish line +0.35 off the pace, to claim second place and offer the discipline season title to Weirather. The daughter of Hanni Wenzel and Harti Weirather can now complete the family collection and bring home her first career globe. Federica Brignone from Italy came in third, grabbing her second career podium in the discipline.

On the men’s side, it’s a good thing for Kjetil Jansrud that he secured the globe two weeks ago in Kvitfjell. His three wins at the beginning of the season and good performances allowed him to claim the 2016/17 super-g title. It’s the third career globe for Jansrud, and the sixth super-g globe in a row for Norway. Other athletes played the main roles in the race of the day, as Austria’s Hannes Reichelt was able to grab his 13th career win, ahead of yesterday’s winner Dominik Paris and the duo Aleksander Aamodt Kilde and Mauro Caviezel in third place.

The World Cup season is now over for the speed skiers, as tomorrow an Alpine Team Event will be held in Aspen, followed by the tech races on the week-end. Tune in at 10.30 MT / 17.30 CET on Friday to follow the exciting parallel event.

17353556_10155237032662042_7781650802856

Full Results Men and Women

2016/17 World Cup Super-G Final Ranking Men and Women

102005_G08_W01.jpg

Tina Weirather

Hannes Reichelt

Sweden wins the Alpine Team Event

2Q==

It became tradition that the World Cup Finals host an Alpine Team Event on the transition day between the speed and the tech races. In Aspen, Team Sweden was able to take the win, ahead of Germany and France.

A total of eight teams were registered for the parallel event: Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, Norway, Germany, Slovenia and Sweden. Starting in the quarter-finals, four teams managed to qualify for the semi-finals and battle for the podium spots.

Italy met France in the small final for the third place, where Adeline Baud Mugnier, Coralie Frasse Sombet, Jean-Baptiste Grange and Julien Lizeroux all laid down a faster time. After winning the gold medal in the Alpine Team Event at the World Championships in St. Moritz, France claims another podium in the discipline.

The big final saw Sweden battle against Germany. With Frida Hansdotter winning over Lena Duerr, Stefan Luitz unable to finish giving the win to Matthias Hargin and Marina Waller finishing behind Emelie Wikstroem, the last heat with André Myhrer and Linus Strasser could not change the feat: Sweden earned the win in the Alpine Team Event, giving Sweden a second World Cup victory in this season, after Hansdotter’s success in Flachau.

Tomorrow, the men’s Giant Slalom and the ladies’ Slalom are on the schedule, starting from 09.00 MT / 16.00 CET on.

Full Results Here

Sweden vs Germany

Final

vor 1 Stunde schrieb dcro:

It's completely ridicilous that FIS didn't create team event WC after it became an Olympic event.

Olympic event that's only contested at WCh and WC finals...

The problem is, that men and women are often in two different places.