website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Klaus Kröll has announced the end of his career with immediate effect, yesterday was his last ever race, "That's it" :cry::cry::cry::cry:

One of the big legends of alpine skiing, maybe not in terms of wins, but if you missed exactly 0 downhills since Val d'Isère 2001 (!), skiing 155 consecutive World Cup-downhills, you can be called a legend :bowdown:

To think, there are young athletes knocking on the door right now who literally were not alive yet during the last downhill without Kröll.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Klaus Kröll has announced the end of his career with immediate effect, yesterday was his last ever race, "That's it" :cry::cry::cry::cry:

One of the big legends of alpine skiing, maybe not in terms of wins, but if you missed exactly 0 downhills since Val d'Isère 2001 (!), skiing 155 consecutive World Cup-downhills, you can be called a legend :bowdown:

To think, there are young athletes knocking on the door right now who literally were not alive yet during the last downhill without Kröll.. 

Young athletes knocking on the door? When did you see a 16 year old downhiller anywhere near the WC level? :p

It will be at least 5 more years until athletes born in 2001/02 start knocking on the door. :d

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Young athletes knocking on the door? When did you see a 16 year old downhiller anywhere near the WC level? :p

Well, you know, young athletes who are starting to let the world know they are there by dominating junior races or starting their Europa Cup careers :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well, you know, young athletes who are starting to let the world know they are there by dominating junior races or starting their Europa Cup careers :p 

Skiers born in 2001 are not even allowed to enter a FIS race yet. :p As you can see on the FIS points list. :evil:

41b1c2b8f2804ff39a4f550adba06281.png

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Skiers born in 2001 are not even allowed to enter a FIS race yet. :p As you can see on the FIS points list. :evil:

41b1c2b8f2804ff39a4f550adba06281.png

:d 

Alright then, 'skiing fans' or something, you get the point, a downhill without Kröll is long ago, that's it :lol:

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

17th place for Leona today. That's ok, but it would have been 14th if she was just 0.25 faster...

Anyway, she'll have excellent starting numbers for the next season. :yes

Win for Mikaela Shiffrin. 3 gold medals in Pyeongchang? :d

+ medal in SG :)

3 hours ago, dcro said:

Popović once again in top 30 after super-g. :banana:

EDIT: In the end there are only 30 finishers. :d@hckosice Kantorova will open the slalom later. :d

wow, thats super cool :clap: awesome, if anyone few years back said me that we will have in one season 3 girls with points in the world cup I would have never believed him :d

and congrats to Leona. Great weekend for her :cheer:

1 hour ago, dareza said:

+ medal in SG :)

+ team event :evil:

First Super-G win for Peter Fill at Kvitfjell

99472_G08_W01.jpg

The last regular speed week-end came to an end today at Kvitfjell (NOR), with the Super-G on the Olympiabakken course. Three experienced skiers took the spots on the podium, with Peter Fill earning the win, ahead of Hannes Reichelt and Erik Guay.

With 34 years and a very prolific career including a Kitzbuehel win and a crystal globe in downhill, Italy’s Peter Fill finally claimed his first win in his other strong discipline, the Super-G. This performance reflects his very good and constant season, that could end with another cup standings win if he makes up the 33 points that separate him from Jansrud in the downhill ranking.

"It was a long wait for me to get the first super-G win, but I'm really happy. I made a great run, no mistakes and everywhere a good line and good speed. It was perfect for me today. The whole form for the season was good, but now, in the first downhill here in Kvitfjell, I was really bad, no speed and a lot of mistakes but yesterday and today was great. I hope now to bring my performance to Aspen. It's a really important race there."

The second place went to Austria’s Hannes Reichelt, also an experienced athlete on the World Cup Tour, as the Super-G World Champion from Vail / Beaver Creek 2015 just grabbed his 40th career podium.

"I think I had a lot of luck with the sun. The first start numbers had the bad light and I think after ten or something then weather was changing and we had some sun. That was luck, good that I had luck because two days ago I had some wind and that was the reason why I wasn't so fast in downhill. The second key was skiing aggressive, especially in parts where I did a good line. On the start I was saying, 'Ok, just ski like I inspect.' I had done my inspection and didn't hear too much on the radio, that was the key."

The current World Champion of the discipline also managed to climb on the podium and took third place today in Kvitfjell.

"It's been great, you know. It's been a good weekend, fourth and sixth in the downhill, but it's always fun to leave a race series with a bit of hardware. I'm happy with the way I skied today and I'm excited to get back home to my girls. I don't feel particularly old; I think that things are going better now. I'm happy physically and technically and I'll keep charging. I think I keep improving like a fine wine."

The battle for the Super-G crystal globe is now over, as local Kjetil Jansrud was able to secure the globe thanks to his 7th place. His three consecutive wins at the beginning of the season in Val d’Isère, Val Gardena and Santa Caterina were decisive for Jansrud. Whatever happens in the last race in Aspen, Jansrud will collect his third career crystal globe, after he claimed both the downhill and super-g globe in 2015/16.

Kranjska Gora (SLO) is the next stop on the men’s World Cup Tour, with a Giant Slalom and a Slalom to be held on 4th and 5th of March.

Full Results Here

Peter Fill