website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Gut continues unbeaten super-G streak at Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Výsledok vyhľadávania obrázkov pre dopyt lara gut super G garmisch  partenkirchen podium

Lara Gut of Switzerland continued her unbeaten streak this season in super-G at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, taking the win a convincing 0.67 seconds ahead of first-time podium finisher Stephanie Venier of Austria. Tina Weirather of Liechtenstein rounded out the podium in third place for her third straight podium finish in the discipline this winter. 

A challenging course set swallowed up 23 athletes who failed to finish, including crowd favorite Viktoria Rebenburg. Even Gut wasn't convinced when she crossed the finish line that her performance was going to be enough for victory, shaking her head in front of the camera operator.

"Our coaches set the super-G, and it was, for sure, more difficult than usually. Lake Louise was really an easy super-G, and in Val d’Isere we had a lot of space between the gates. And here it was again more technical," Gut noted. "I had to ski with my head, and I wasn’t so clean on my lines and not even on the ski. I had the feeling where it was turny in the middle part that I should have skied more on my skis and not just as a passenger of my skis. So I wasn’t really satisfied about that. But that’s the cool thing, when the course setting is difficult, that everyone has to come to the finish and try at least to ski. So today, I was just lucky because of that.”

Venier also felt lucky to collect her first World Cup podium finish ever, in second place. She was knocking on the podium door after a sixth-place finish in the Val d'Isere super-G, but she admitted that the result in Garmisch-Partenkirchen still came as a bit of a surprise to her. 

"Everything is special," said Venier. "I’m on the podium and it’s great, and it’s feeling so good and I’m so happy."

Weirather, meanwhile, was reluctant to believe she had secured the 30th podium finish of her career and third straight of the season in super-G until the very last racer was across the finish line. 

"Today, I really didn’t feel like it was going to be a good result when I crossed the finish line. But I think it’s just my super-G skiing is by far my best discipline right now, so I don’t need to have a perfect run to be further ahead than in downhill, for example, where I ski great and sometimes I end up 10th," said Weirather. "Right now, they’re still pretty fast, so I will wait until I get too excited."

By the awards ceremony, Weirather was assured of her milestone podium result and able to enjoy the celebration.

Both Anna Veith and Lindsey Vonn made their returns to super-G competition, Veith skiing out after posting a fast top section and Vonn ultimately finishing ninth. 

The ladies' tour rolls on to a standalone giant slalom race in Kronplatz, Italy, on Tuesday 24 January.

Full Results Here

Lara Gut

Here's an interview with that famous Bolivian Simon Breitfuss Kammerlander. :d It's in Croatian (interviewed during Zagreb WC), but Google translate might do the trick.

http://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/jedini-je-bio-sporiji-od-ivice-quotskijam-za-boliviju-jer-sam-za-austriju-bio-predobarquot/942297.aspx

#banbestmen

Federica Brignone surprises for home snow win in Kronplatz

Impressions World Cup Kronplatz 2017

The technically demanding ERTA piste with a downward slope of 61 percent at its steepest point challenged the ladies in the Kronplatz giant slalom to ski a clean line.

Tessa Worley came down with the early lead in the first run and held it all the way until Federica Brignone, with bib 14, skied with energy from the crowd to cross the line 0.15 seconds ahead of the GS standings leader. Brignone’s teammate Marta Bassino sat a close third at 0.26 seconds off the fastest pace.

“My focus was to push to the end of the turns and just get back into really hard mostly on the last part, where it’s a little bit bumpy and there’s a fallaway. For sure I just wanted to make a nice, clean, and attacking run, but I’ll need to push harder in the second,” Worley said.

“Normally I’m stressed but today I was really stressed too but I tried just to do my skiing and to enjoy this beautiful slope,” reflected Brignone. “I felt bad – well good, actually – but not so fast. I thought I was there, but not in the front.” 

Sunshine, an impressively large crowd for a Tuesday morning, and the unique slope made for a festive atmosphere in the first run. During the second run, the sun dipped below the surrounding mountains and cast a dark shadow on the lower third of the course.

Still, Brignone was able to bring home the surprise win, even to her, and further impressed the crowd by welcoming Bassino onto the podium in third. Brignone’s only other GS victory on the World Cup came in Soelden in 2005, another venue noted for its pitch.

“When it’s tough, I just try to do my skiing because I’m already preoccupied on how to do the slope, so then I like the ice and today was icy,” Brignone said. “So, I just tried my best really to make every turn after every turn. But in the second run, I felt awful and then, I don’t know if you saw me, but I crossed the finish line and said, ‘No, no. It’s never gonna work.’ And then I saw one, and it was amazing. It was incredible.”

Brignone was the first Italian woman to win a GS on home snow in a decade, as Karen Putzer was the last to do so in January 2007 in Cortina d’Ampezzo. Brignone even extended her lead in the second run and ultimately bested Worley by 0.55 seconds. Still, the discipline leader was happy to collect her sixth podium finish of the season.

“It’s another podium,” Worley noted. “It’s another second place, and Federica really skied so well this last part, and I had a tough time over there. But I mean I fight it until the end and it was totally worth it, so happy with second place.”

Bassino finished in third place for the second time this season and in her career, a previous podium coming back in October in Soelden. 

“It’s amazing,” Bassino admitted. “It’s a dream in Italy with all these people.” 

Full Results Here

Federica Brignone 1st Run

Federica Brignone 2nd Run