website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

What a run for Shiffrin :bowdown::bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

So, Nina Loeseth is the first one to actually beat Shiffrin on time since...forever? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Hansdotter thought she was 15th and had to make up 2 seconds or something? :d 

Hansdotter named Snow Space Princess at Flachau slalom with crowded podium

Snow Space Flachau 2017 podium

Audi FIS Alpine World Cup 2016 slalom title winner Frida Hansdotter started the night slalom in Flachau, Austria, with the same lucky number as she had when she last won Snow Space Princess race in 2015 and her last World Cup victory in Lienz: bib 6. The Swede laid down a head-turning first run that shocked those in attendance if only for the fact that she just claimed her first podium of the season two days earlier after an otherwise up-and-down winter. 

“No, actually [I didn’t know it was] that fast, but for sure I felt I had a good run. But I got a little bit scared when in the banana [delay gate] because I hooked a little bit the skis. I was like ‘Oh no!’ I didn’t get that speed over the last roller. But it was really good, so I’m satisfied,” Hansdotter said after finishing the turny first-run course set with a nearly one-second advantage over Wendy Holdener. “Actually, I’m better when it’s a little bit straighter because I get more speed in, but I for sure saw it in inspection that you really need to work it every gate. So that was my only goal, so maybe that’s the secret.”

Attacking Viking Nina Loeseth sat third after the first run at 1.08 seconds off Hansdotter. Despite not making any major mistakes, Mikaela Shiffrin was 1.38 seconds back in fifth, which she said was the result of turning too much in the first run.

“I really overskied it. Just I went way too far. I mean my coach set first run and I thought he set a spectacular course. It looked just so fun to ski and I got a little too excited about turning and I just kept going. I just kept turning. When I got to the finish and I felt my legs, they were really tired and that’s never a good sign. It means that you’re not being efficient, so that was sort of part of the issue,” Shiffrin said.

In the second run, Shiffrin charged hard to make up a fair chunk of the deficit, but she ultimately finished third for the night tied with Holdener, who had an impressive run, at 0.78 seconds from the lead. Loeseth also took her best shot at Hansdotter, but nobody could pass the Swede who was simply on point all night long. Hansdotter took the win 0.58 seconds ahead of the Norwegian in second.

“It’s really exciting because a lot of girls can stand on the podium and it makes it hard for us because you have to push and go to see the green light in the finish,” said Holdener, who now has collected six podiums this season in slalom but has yet to win. “I hope you will [see my best skiing] because I have a little better skiing in my bag, so hopefully I can show it.”

Shiffrin, meanwhile, was pleased with her effort to push for the podium and also congratulated the winner on the night.

“It felt a lot better the second run. For sure, I was disappointed with my first run, but to be honest, I try to learn from it. I really, really enjoyed watching Frida ski today. It was incredible and it looked like she had fun, and I’m really happy for her.”

Loeseth collected her second podium of the season and first in slalom for the year.

“I kind of thought, ‘It’s all or nothing. It’s kill or be killed here,’ because it was pretty easy course, and I felt pretty strong. I didn’t have any big mistakes. But I watched Zuzu on top from her start up there, and I was just thinking ‘Oh my god.’ So it was pretty intimidating. The strong girls that were starting behind me or before me in the second run, so that’s why I probably was super excited when I saw that green light,” said Loeseth. “I feel it’s kind of been a build up in slalom because it’s been pretty stable the whole season. And then after Maribor, I was a bit like ‘OK, it’s time to go now, to push a little harder.’ My GS has been a little difficult lately, but I’m going to find it pretty soon, just in time for Kronplatz and St. Mortiz. It’s good, it feels really good to be on the podium.”

But the true star of the night, all agreed, was Hansdotter who built on her Maribor podium and turned in a lights out performance at Flachau.

“It’s the night atmosphere. I think night slalom is so fun. And the crowd, you can see it from the start. It’s so much fun for racing,” she said. “Actually, I had number six when I was young playing football, so it’s been following me my whole life and also Lienz I had number six when I won, so six is my lucky number.”

As for what’s suddenly started working for her again in slalom, she admitted, “I can be more relaxed and now I know I’m skiing fast, so it’s just go with the flow.”

With 175,000 EUR up for grabs in prize money divided among the top 30 finishers, Flachau remains the highest paying race on the ladies’ World Cup circuit again this season, to the delight of the podium and other second-run finishers.

The World Cup ladies’ tour moves on to nearby Altenmarkt-Zauchensee, Austria, for downhill and alpine combined races this coming weekend.

Full results Here

Frida Hansdotter 1st Run

Frida Hansdotter 2nd Run

Found a provisional list of nations registered for the 2017 World Championships (from the organizers). Definitely some interesting ones in here!

1 AFG Afghanistan:AFG

2 ALB Albania:ALB

3 AND Andorra:AND

4 ARG Argentina:ARG

5 ARM Armenia:ARM

6 AUS Australia:AUS

7 AUT Austria:AUT

8 AZE Azerbaijan:AZE

9 BEL Belgium:BEL

10 BIH Bosnia and Herzegovina:BIH

11 BOL Bolivia:BOL

12 BRA Brazil:BRA

13 BUL Bulgaria:BUL

14 CAN Canada:CAN

15 CHI Chile:CHI

16 CHN P.R. China:CHN

17 COL Colombia:COL

18 CRO Croatia:CRO

19 CYP Cyprus:CYP

20 CZE Czech Republic:CZE

21 DEN Denmark:DEN

22 ESP Spain:ESP

23 EST Estonia:EST

24 FIN Finland:FIN

25 FRA France:FRA

26 GBR Great Britain:GBR

27 GEO Georgia:GEO

28 GER Germany:GER

29 GRE Greece:GRE

30 HAI Haiti:HAI

31 HUN Hungary:HUN

32 IND India:IND

33 IRI Iran:IRI

34 IRL Ireland:IRL

35 ISL Iceland:ISL

36 ISR Israel:ISR

37 ITA Italy:ITA

38 JPN Japan:JPN

39 KAZ Kazakhstan:KAZ

40 KEN Kenya:KEN

41 KGZ Kyrgyzstan:KGZ

42 KOS Kosovo:KOS

43 LAT Latvia:LAT

44 LBN Lebanon:LBN

45 LIE Liechtenstein:LIE

46 LTU Lithuania:LTU

47 LUX Luxembourg:LUX

48 MAD Madagascar:MAD

49 MAR Morocco:MAR

50 MAS Malaysia:MAS

51 MEX Mexico:MEX

52 MKD FYR Macedonia:MKD

53 MLT Malta:MLT

54 MNE Montenegro:MNE

55 MON Monaco:MON

56 NED Netherlands:NED

57 NOR Norway:NOR

58 NZL New Zealand:NZL

59 PER Peru:PER

60 POL Poland:POL

61 POR Portugal:POR

62 ROU Romania:ROU

63 RSA South Africa:RSA

64 RUS Russia:RUS

65 SLO Slovenia:SLO

66 SMR San Marino:SMR

67 SRB Serbia:SRB

68 SUI Switzerland:SUI

69 SVK Slovakia:SVK

70 SWE Sweden:SWE

71 TGA Tonga:TGA

72 UKR Ukraine:UKR

73 USA United States of America:USA

74 UZB Uzbekistan:UZB

EDIT just got the official list, Kenya is out, Virgin Islands are in.

Edited by ahjfcshfghb