website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

8 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

I'm always happy when a speed skier beats the slalom ones in the combined. :thumbup:

I'm even happier when both are on the podium and are very close, the perfect way to combine the two :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Norway reigns supreme in Val Gardena

Impressions World Cup Val Gardena 2016

It looks like Norway is expanding its kingdom to the Dolomites as the nation’s men's speed team dominated the podium for a second straight season with Kjetil Jansrud (NOR) topping the super-G standings, edging his teammate Aleksander Aamodt Kilde by 0.06 seconds. Third place went to Canada’s Erik Guay 0.13 seconds off the pace.

Last year, the Norwegian men swept the podium here in Val Gardena/Gröden,  with Aksel Lund Svindal taking the bragging rights, followed by Jansrud and Kilde. Svindal was on pace to take the title again when he had a few scary bobbles mid-race that forced a DNF for the star.

But still, it was smiles all around for the Norwegian team, as Jansrud picked up his third victory in as many speed races this season.

Kilde was also happy to earn his fifth career World Cup podium finish as Val Gardena, where he picked up his first-ever career podium last season, must seem like a magical place for the young ace.

For Guay, the wait was long to get back on the super-G podium as the last time he made the top three in the discipline was also here in Val Gardena back in 2010. Since then, the Canadian has been strong in the downhill earning 10 podium places, but the super-G eluded him until today.

The Canadians places two skiers in the top ten with Dustin Cook taking sixth place. The Italians and Austrians also had strong showings today, each nation closed with three racers in the top-12.

It was another perfect sunny, crisp  day in the Dolomites, providing excellent conditions for the athletes. Tomorrow is expected to be the same for the much-anticipated downhill, which will begin at 12:15 CET. Following the downhill, the tour moves to the next valley over in Alta Badia for a change of pace with a giant slalom and nighttime parallel giant slalom scheduled for Sunday and Monday.

Full Results Here

Kjetil Jansrud

First-timers crowd alpine combined podium in Val d'Isere

Val d'Isere ladies' alpine combined podium

All three athletes who finished on the very tight podium in Val d'Isere on Friday were first-timers in alpine combined, but two were rather familiar faces for the start of the 2016/17 season. 

Slovenian Ilka Stuhec collected her third Audi FIS Alpine World Cup victory in two weeks of racing after holding on in the slalom for her first ever alpine combined podium finish and win. She was noticeably emotional during the awards ceremony in the finish area.

"It feels great like every win. Well, all three of them. I felt confident in the start of the slalom, but still I know I could push a bit more, but maybe one part of me just wanted to get to the finish as well. But apparently, fast enough," said Stuhec, whose mother works as her ski technician. "It’s really awesome that I have [my mom] around all the time. I’m really glad she does that even though it’s really hard work.

It’s, I guess, really tiring for her. But in the moments like this, I think everything is repaid."

Stuhec chased down Michelle Gisin of Switzerland who held the leader box for 16 challengers who could not better her combined time.

Ultimately, Stuhec squeaked out the win by a slim 0.12-second margin. For Gisin, it was the first World Cup podium of her career after a rocky start to the season. 

“Amazing – I feel champagned. I invented a new word because Ilka, when she opened the bottle, it was all in my eyes so I couldn’t see and I just started to cry and run around the girls. But it’s so cool, I’m so happy, just overwhelming joy," said Gisin. "I had tough weeks in the beginning of the season, tough weeks in the States when I really didn’t ski well in Killington. I lost my confidence; I kind of lost the eyes on the prize. I just wanted to ski perfect and very secure. And then I realized I have to enjoy the freedom of skiing again, and that’s it. I think I can rely on so many great people that support me, and that’s what brought me here."

Sofia Goggia, third in the race and 0.16 seconds off the winner, has now finished on the podium in four separate disciplines this season.

She busted out her dance moves in the finish area after the flower ceremony. 

“I’m just happy with my skiing and with my performance today. I knew I could have something great today, but you know slalom, I get in my danger [zone] there. So I just tried to stay in the rhythm and focus," said Goggia. "It feels great. No other words needed. Great."

Goggia has been identified as an overall contender considering her performances since Killington, but she prefers to focus on individual races. 

"You know my philosophy of living: I’m just focusing day by day. Tomorrow is another race, and tomorrow I’m going to do my best in downhill. But of course I’m not thinking of the overall. It’s so far away, I can’t see it."

Laurenne Ross of the U.S. led the downhill leg by 0.32 seconds over Cornelia Huetter of Austria. Stuhec was third in the morning run, 0.74 seconds back.

“I know the downhill in the morning was not perfect. I still have quite some stuff to improve tomorrow, so I’ll try to do that," said Stuhec.

The ladies race downhill in Val d'Isere on Saturday at 10:30 CET.

Full Results Here

Ilka Stuhec  1st Run

Ilka Stuhec  2nd Run

4 hours ago, hckosice said:

Nevena Ignjatovic 23rd with 11th fastest slalom run :clap::clap:@dareza should be happy, that´s a  pretty damn cool result, isn´t ? :d

great really :clap: Nevena on fire :lol:

I m really happy for her. She trains with Slovenian team this year, so maybe this is not surprase :d

Lara is giving a ton of Christmas presents to Shiffrin, holy shit :yikes:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!