website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Early Qualification Predictions

On 12/1/2016 at 10:23, OlympicIRL said:

Yes, Clifton Wrottesley.... he was so close :(

Speaking of Ireland, it appears they've just acquired a Norwegian cross-country skiier. Apparently he had 'Irish origins'?

http://www.t-a.no/sport/2016/11/29/Thomas-fra-Leka-går-verdenscup-i-helga-–-for-Irland-13859582.ece

And he's competing in the WC sprint qualification today.

:MEX Team Size prediction for Winter Olympic Games 2018 PyeongChang :MEX

Ski Sports

Alpine Skiing  (1-2) - Unless injuries or desertion occurs, this is probably the safest bet Mexico has to avoid missing 2018 Winter Games. Sarah Schleper (married to a Mexican citizen for a long time, acquired nationality a couple of years ago) is doing quite well (she finished 3rd today in a FIS Giant Slalom event) and she has actually the A criteria to compete in every event except Combined. She might be joined by Rodolfo Dickson (born in Mexico and adopted by US citizens) who right now has the B criteria. Our girl at YOG, Jocelyn McGillivray (also born in Mexico but raised in Canada) might try to qualify, but despite her decent performance in Lillehammer, her chances are few.

Cross Country Skiing (0) - There's one skiier who competed in a couple of races last year (and being the last competitor to finish in both), but I doubt he can improve to achieve at least the B qualification standard.

Ski Jumping  (0) - A discipline in which no Mexican has competed ever.

Nordic Combined  (0) - Same as the above.

Freestyle Skiing  (0-1) - Probably our biggest chance for qualifying outside Alpine skiing is with Robbie Franco, who finished 6th at Slpestyle in the last World Championships, but he still has to start his season. Currently, he covers the eligilibity criteria and if my calculations are current, he holds the first reserve position as of now; so I'm really crossing my fingers so he can get another good performance that puts him in PyeongChang. Two more athletes competed this year, Cesar Rodriguez in both Slopestyle and Halpipe (the letter its "best" event) plus one of our competitors in the YOG, Fernando Soto in Snowboard Cross, but both seem to be way outside the qualification positions.

Snowboarding  (0) - Sandra Hillen tried to qualify to Sochi in Slopestyle, but she hasn't competed since then.

Biathlon (0) - This is one of only 2 Olympic feds of which Mexico is not a member, so of course, no representation is possible.

Skating Sports

Speed Skating  (0) - No Mexicans are currently competing in this discipline, so another blank for us.

Short Track Speed Skating  (0) - There were plans 2 or 3 years ago to start developing this discipline around the country's ice rinks, but it the lack of funding means this will have to wait for another (couple) Olympic cycle(s).

Figure Skating  (0-2) - One of the few winter sports in which we have been (irregularly) participating in the past years. This season it seems we have a couple of young talents and long shots for a place in 2018: Donovan Carrillo, who has already improved his PS by more than 60 points to a modest total of 169.15, but he has been steadily improving his skills (I heard that from ISU Junior GP comentators), so if he manages to get some sponsorship he could actually be fighting for the last spot in his event; also another junior, Andrea Montesinos already scored 125.61 at this year's Grand Prix, so as in the case of Donovan, she gets enough resources for her preparation she also could try to go for a qualification spot.

Sleigh Sports

Luge  (0) - Mexico is not a member of FIL, so no chance.

Skeleton  (0) - We haven't field a competitor to the North American Cup since 2013/2014 season (the same guy that competed for us in Slat Lake), and I don't think he or anybody else is going to compete this year.

Bobsleigh  (0) - Sadly, the sport in which Mexico debuted (and reached its best result - an 11th place) in the Winter Games will continue iits absence since 2002.

Team Sports

Curling  (0) - Mexico just joined WCF this year :cheer:, but I think we'll have to wait another 10 years to see if this sport is developed.

Ice Hockey  (0) - Teams in both genders are already out of chances.

Total Optimistic Prediction  -  (5)

Total Pessimistic Prediction  - (0)

Total Realistic Prediction  -  (3)

Edited by mrv86

3 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Speaking of Ireland, it appears they've just acquired a Norwegian cross-country skiier. Apparently he had 'Irish origins'?

http://www.t-a.no/sport/2016/11/29/Thomas-fra-Leka-går-verdenscup-i-helga-–-for-Irland-13859582.ece

And he's competing in the WC sprint qualification today.

Thanks for this info, I had no idea! Wow, that's cool :thumbup:

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

Thanks for this info, I had no idea! Wow, that's cool :thumbup:

I'm glad at least he has SOME connection to Ireland, and not just a Norwegian switching to Ireland for no reason other than to have an easier time.

So yeah it looks better for you! :yes

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

5 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

I'm glad at least he has SOME connection to Ireland, and not just a Norwegian switching to Ireland for no reason other than to have an easier time.

So yeah it looks better for you! :yes

Has an Irish mother

:ARG ArgentinaTeam Size prediction for Winter Olympic Games 2018 PyeongChang

Ski Sports

Alpine Skiing  (3-3) - Like the last winter olympic games, we should qualify 3 mans and 3 womens, may be less but no more-

Cross Country Skiing  (1-0) - In Sochi we have one with less level than now, Matias Zuloaga should qualify

Ski Jumping  (0) - our country don have nothing here

Nordic Combined  (0) - i never see an argentinian here...

Freestyle Skiing  (1-0) - with some luck, we can have somebody here, Mateo Cremer is the south american champion in big air, less hope in Slopestyle 

Snowboarding  (1-0) - Steven Williams is a clear candidate to qualify in snowboardcross, may be Simon White join him, less hope in Slopestyle with Iñaki Odriozola.

Biathlon  (1-0) i will be optimistic here in one of my favourite winter sport: Axel Ciuffo can qualify, with lot of luck Cecilia Dominguez join him.

Skating Sports

Speed Skating  (0) - none argentinian in this sport

Short Track Speed Skating  (0) - nothing here

Figure Skating  (0) - With the REALLY SAD retirement of Denis Margalik, our chances here are near to 0, Mauro Calcagno and the girls dont have any serius posibility

Sleigh Sports

Luge  (0-1) -  Veronica Ravenna es the best young argentinian promise in winter sports, she can be in the olympic games, y dont think Lucas Populin qualifyng

Skeleton  (0) - nothing here

Bobsleigh  (0) - The Pampa Rocket (the argentinian team), dont have any sponsor.......so they wont have the necesary participation to qualify.

Team Sports

Curling  (0) - The only winter sport without federation......

Ice Hockey  (0) - without Stadium, we cant participate......

Total Optimistic Prediction  -  (11)

Total Pessimistic Prediction  - (7)

Total Realistic Prediction  -  (9)

Edited by konig

Bulgaria Team Size prediction for Winter Olympic Games 2018 Pyeong Chang

Ski Sports

Alpine Skiing  (min 3 max 4) - Albert Popov and Kamen Zlatkov should make it in the SL and GS with some chance for Albert to start in the AC. A third male skier is likely to  make it to the SL and GS, maybe Stefan Prisadov or Yoan Todorov. On the women's site Vera Asenova should qualify in SL and GS. 

Cross Country Skiing  (min 2 max 4) - Veselin Tsinzov is certain for his spot. He scores world cup points on a good day. Below him in the men's team we have Stanimir Belomazhev who comes from ski orienteering, Andrey Gridin, whom I cannot see on the start lists this season and the young Yordan Chuchuganov. Biathlete Vladimir Iliev has some aspirations in cross country and may fill a spot in the team. The ambition of the federation is to send a realy to Pyeong Chang but a miracle must happen for it to come true. If Anonia Burgova does not return from orienteering to cross country then sadly no woman is going to take part in the Olympics.

Ski Jumping  (min 1 max 1) - The only one with a realistic chance is world junior champion Vladimir Zografski. He is not at his best this season but I think he will make it to Korea.

Nordic Combined  (min 0 max 0) - This sport is non-existent in Bulgaria

Freestyle Skiing  (min 0 max 0) - I don't think anyone will make it to the Olympics although we definitely have some rising talent

Snowboarding  (min 2 max 3) - The two main medal prospects come from the snowboarding program. Aleksandra Zhekova and Radoslav Yankov will certainly make it to the slopes of Pyeong Chang. Peter Gyosharkov or Simeon Mitrev could make a miracle in the upcoming months and just make it to the Olympics, although it's highly unlikely

Biathlon  (min 7 max 10) With a distant medal chance this should be our most successful sport in terms of quotas. The men should really screw something up to not get the full 5 quotas - Anev, Iliev, Sinapov, Kletcherov and Gerdzhikov must be our 5. On the women's side it's more complicated since the girls are not performing well at all. Stoyanova and Yordanova should make it to Korea. The rest have a very distant shot at the Olympics but hey miracles do happen so optimistically we could field a female relay too.

Skating Sports

Speed Skating  (min 0 max 0 ) - no speed skating track in Bulgaria exists to prepare Olympians unfortunately

Short Track Speed Skating  (min 1 max 4) - One of the most successful winter sports for Bulgaria is in a major crisis. The A team is really sub par. There is a bright light in the face of Katrin Manoilova who I think will make it to Pyeong Chang. She has the potential to be a world class skater. One more lady could make it e.g. Raya Zaharieva and 2 more gents - Klaudio Nasri and Dimitar Georgiev but they really need to up their standard.

Figure Skating  (min 0 max 1) - Another sport where Bulgaria had deep traditions but is in crisis right now. Our biggest chance is in the ladies ccompetition. Aleksandra Feygin can make it to the World Championships this year and hopefully outperform herself for a quota. Chances are not on her side though. Hristina Vasileva is the veteran in the team but she is far from world class level unlike Feygin in her age group.

Sleigh Sports

Luge  (min 1 max 1) -  I will be brave here and bet on another Bulgarian luge Olympian. Pavel Angelov has a good chance of making it there. 

Skeleton  (min 1 max 2) - This could be the first Olympics with the participation of Bulgarian skeletons. Either Marin Bangiev (men) or Camilla Breyer (women) will make it to Korea. Why not both. 

Bobsleigh  (min 0 max 0) - We haven't fielded a bobsleigh team at world level for a very long time. I don't think this is going to change.

Team Sports

Curling  (min 0 max 0) - Qualification is under way and we are not doing well.

Ice Hockey  (min 0 max 0) - Not in the next 10 Olympics

Total Optimistic Prediction  -  (30)

Total Pessimistic Prediction  - (18)

Total Realistic Prediction  -  (21)