website statistics

Winter Paralympic Games 2018

uk12points

5 minutes ago, uk12points said:

Brazil have 2 athletes with the entry standard, but sadly neither were quite good enough to secure a second quota. Technically it is up to the Brazilian federation to pick between Thomaz Moraes or Fernando Rocha, the age difference though is significant Moraes born 2001 or Rocha born 1978, so I would pick Moraes but the workings of internal selections can be complex to say the least. I would expect they might apply for a bipartite invitation for a second quota as there are lots of unused female quota that need allocating.

On 2022, he is young and if he keeps improving he could be up there, but most of the sitting field is pretty young, the Ukrainians are only in there 20s and there is a promising Japanese guy who was born in 2000. Plus, I am certain that China will throw lots of resources at Para Nordic Skiing, they send lots of athletes to competitions and I imagine they will be a force to be reckoned with on home snow! But there is definitely potential!

I wouldn't be surprised if they choose Aranha (I believe that's Rocha's 'used' name) because it's his last chance and then focus fully on Thomaz for 2022, but I'm hoping they go with the young guy. Both because the experience is invaluable and because I think he simply could perform better.

Brazil also has a young guy with one leg by the way who skis on one ski instead of in a sitting ski, I wonder how they're gonna solve that (because I believe with one leg, you're automatically confined to the sitting category?). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they choose Aranha (I believe that's Rocha's 'used' name) because it's his last chance and then focus fully on Thomaz for 2022, but I'm hoping they go with the young guy. Both because the experience is invaluable and because I think he simply could perform better.

Brazil also has a young guy with one leg by the way who skis on one ski instead of in a sitting ski, I wonder how they're gonna solve that (because I believe with one leg, you're automatically confined to the sitting category?). 

I'm not sure about the one leg skiing question. Standing normally means upper body impairment.

I know in Alpine Skiing one legged athletes compete in standing as LW9 and it appears that applies to Nordic skiing too (same classification):

Sport Classes LW 2-9: Standing Skiers

Skiers with leg impairments:

Sport Class LW 2: The skiers have an impairment affecting one leg, for example an amputation above the knee. They will use a prosthesis and ski with two skis.

Sport Class LW 3: This sport class includes skiers with an impairment in both legs, such as muscle weakness in both legs.

Sport Class LW 4: Skiers in this sport class include those with impairments in the lower parts of one leg, but with less impact on skiing compared to LW 2. Typical examples are amputations above the ankle or loss of muscle control in one leg.

Depending on where the leg is lost he will be one of these three. I'm pretty sure he would get a low ranking factor, maybe 50%, which means his time would be divided by 2, therefore if he was a decent skier he could do quiet well thanks to the factoring.

5 minutes ago, uk12points said:

I'm not sure about the one leg skiing question. Standing normally means upper body impairment.

I know in Alpine Skiing one legged athletes compete in standing as LW9 and it appears that applies to Nordic skiing too (same classification):

Sport Classes LW 2-9: Standing Skiers

Skiers with leg impairments:

Sport Class LW 2: The skiers have an impairment affecting one leg, for example an amputation above the knee. They will use a prosthesis and ski with two skis.

Sport Class LW 3: This sport class includes skiers with an impairment in both legs, such as muscle weakness in both legs.

Sport Class LW 4: Skiers in this sport class include those with impairments in the lower parts of one leg, but with less impact on skiing compared to LW 2. Typical examples are amputations above the ankle or loss of muscle control in one leg.

Depending on where the leg is lost he will be one of these three. I'm pretty sure he would get a low ranking factor, maybe 50%, which means his time would be divided by 2, therefore if he was a decent skier he could do quiet well thanks to the factoring.

Thanks! I didn't hear about him for some time now, but I remember after skiing on one ski for a very short time he was already slalomming between obstacles as if he'd been doing it for all his life, so it would be a huge shame if he would be forced to compete in a sitting category (I doubt he'd even continue skiing then). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Thanks! I didn't hear about him for some time now, but I remember after skiing on one ski for a very short time he was already slalomming between obstacles as if he'd been doing it for all his life, so it would be a huge shame if he would be forced to compete in a sitting category (I doubt he'd even continue skiing then). 

Oh, if he is an alpine skier then skiing on one leg is no problem, lots of the athletes do that!

Just now, uk12points said:

Oh, if he is an alpine skier then skiing on one leg is no problem, lots of the athletes do that!

No, he's a XC skier :d 

The slalomming was a technique exercise :p 

• 5 months later...

Our sledge Hockey team lost to Japan 2-4 and failed to qualify for the Games :cry:

Czech Republic and Japan officially qualified, the last spot will be contested tomorrow between Germany and the Final qualification tournament host Sweden

So sad for our guys, what a fantastic group of amazing peoples they are, I was really cheering for them to qualify they deserved it :( You can hold your heads up guys ! This time you missed it just by a few, next time you´ll do it ! See you in Beijing !

image.png

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, hckosice said:

And for those who used the same page as I did during the Olympics, it works exactly the same for the Paralympics now :p

https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game-time/results/PWG2018/en/general/competition-schedule.htm