website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Debuting, Coming Back, Returning and Missing Nations

On 9/9/2017 at 11:11, dcro said:

I wonder if we are eventually going to have a whole orchestra from exotic nations... So far it's a violinist and a composer. :p

Youth Olympics Bobsleigh silver medallist 2012

Not really an "exotic nation" but...

Edited by Dragon

8 hours ago, intoronto said:

The FIS doesn't approve members until the summer anyways. So I think its too late for Jordan in 2018 :(

Apparently they approved the Dominican Republic at this year's 'spring meeting' and they have an 'autumn meeting' in October so maybe Jordan will be approved there?

I have been talking to the Indonesian :INA short track athletes from the SEA Games (Steveanus and Johannes Wihardja). Both of them have managed to get under 47.000 seconds in the 500m and thus are under the limit for World Cup competition. Steveanus actually managed to get under 46 seconds and is on about the same level as the top skaters in Singapore/Malaysia. Apparently the federation didn't enter them for the first two World Cups, probably because they got the qualifying times at very late notice, but they have both said they will ask the federation to send them to the third and fourth World Cups in November (Shanghai and Seoul). I gave them all the information from ISU regarding those competitions. Qualifying for the Olympics would still be possible but would require lots of luck/two solid results as the top 3 results are taken into account. 

Then again, in short track, anything's possible. 

Will keep this post updated.

It is also confirmed at the Short Track World Cup in Budapest we will see :COL:PRK , :MAS and :SGP. Think North Korea in particular has a decent chance to qualify.

Other nations there that haven't qualified for Pyeongchang yet are :IND, :TPE and :HKG

No :THA, :INA or :QAT. Thailand should be at the Asian World Cups in November as they were last year. Latter two odds are slimmer but possible, Qatar has an athlete who got 4 seconds off qualifying time a year ago, far better than their athletes at the Asian Winter Games. Indonesia as mentioned already has athletes qualified. 

UPDATE: The Indonesian athletes have scheduled a meeting with the federation on Thursday. So far it seems the federation is considering sending them to the short track WCs in Shanghai/Seoul. Very interesting! If they pull off a Bradbury type result even the Olympics would be possible. :p 

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

An update on :EGY:

Helmy Elsaeed the cross country skier is trying to establish an Egyptian Ski federation. Apparently it never officially existed and the Egyptian who previously participated had dual US citizenship, so could go through them without national quotas (at the time none existed). The rules of Egypt's Ministry of Sport are that multiple clubs have to play a sport before a federation can be established. Helmy is the only skier, so is trying to get exceptions. He also said he might try to participate as an Independent Olympic Athlete (though I doubt the FIS will let him get points like that). Point is he has to get Egypt accepted by the Autumn meetings in October 3rd-7th as the preliminary entry deadline is on the 9th. If he can manage that he'll probably qualify. From what I've seen he's a capable enough skier.

On 9/16/2017 at 11:31, ahjfcshfghb said:

It is also confirmed at the Short Track World Cup in Budapest we will see :COL:PRK , :MAS and :SGP. Think North Korea in particular has a decent chance to qualify.

Other nations there that haven't qualified for Pyeongchang yet are :IND, :TPE and :HKG

No :THA, :INA or :QAT. Thailand should be at the Asian World Cups in November as they were last year. Latter two odds are slimmer but possible, Qatar has an athlete who got 4 seconds off qualifying time a year ago, far better than their athletes at the Asian Winter Games. Indonesia as mentioned already has athletes qualified. 

UPDATE: The Indonesian athletes have scheduled a meeting with the federation on Thursday. So far it seems the federation is considering sending them to the short track WCs in Shanghai/Seoul. Very interesting! If they pull off a Bradbury type result even the Olympics would be possible. :p 

Whoa I even don't know about this :d

5 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

An update on :EGY:

Helmy Elsaeed the cross country skier is trying to establish an Egyptian Ski federation. Apparently it never officially existed and the Egyptian who previously participated had dual US citizenship, so could go through them without national quotas (at the time none existed). The rules of Egypt's Ministry of Sport are that multiple clubs have to play a sport before a federation can be established. Helmy is the only skier, so is trying to get exceptions. He also said he might try to participate as an Independent Olympic Athlete (though I doubt the FIS will let him get points like that). Point is he has to get Egypt accepted by the Autumn meetings in October 3rd-7th as the preliminary entry deadline is on the 9th. If he can manage that he'll probably qualify. From what I've seen he's a capable enough skier.

Could u tell me more info about this athlete , or how to contact him on social media , I'm an administrator of Egypt sports network page and we can send his message to the minister of sport and the media here

53 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

Could u tell me more info about this athlete , or how to contact him on social media , I'm an administrator of Egypt sports network page and we can send his message to the minister of sport and the media here

Wow, you are really a good contact.

3 hours ago, thepharoah said:

Awesome! Sure! His name is Helmy Elsaeed. I contacted him through Facebook. :yes

https://m.facebook.com/public/Helmy-Elsaeed#~!/profile.php?id=501522020

Here is an article about him. He's also a world record holder cyclist. https://www.nydailynews.com/amp/newswires/sports/egyptian-endurance-athlete-sets-new-goals-cycling-record-article-1.3360067

Other than that he's also done the Vasalloppett, a very famous and challenging marathon ski race. He'll be able to give you more insight into the situation of the federation! His coach is currently in contact with FIS and the Egyptian sports ministry.

He also has an Instagram, @helmyelsaeed, where you can see videos of him skiing.

Edited by ahjfcshfghb