website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Debuting, Coming Back, Returning and Missing Nations

51 minutes ago, dcro said:

Being 300 points behind the target really suggests that they don't have any chance (at least those two who competed so far). That's unless they qualify in some bogus races like Vanessa Mae. :d

Venezuela's skier also started well behind as well in his quest for Sochi 

Algeria :ALG has a young alpine skiier who if she improves a lot could make it, and Khelifi their cross-country athlete could still be there, since he started about this late for qualifying for Sochi. Unfortunately they're not an ISU member so I don't see the figure skating thing happening for them :( 

Also I think we should add Qatar :QAT. I know it's a huge longshot, but they are trying in short track (and yes, even mixed doubles curling) and have about as much chance as say the Haitian alpine skiiers.

This doesn't really count, but remember the Iraqi :IRQ, Faisal Faisal, who narrowly missed out on the 2006 and 2010 Olympics? I messaged him and he says he's coming back onto the slopes next year, probably too late for Pyongchang but is aiming for Beijing 2022!

Other countries that were doing decently in past Olympic cycles include the Bahamas (snowboarder), Panama (bobsled team) and El Salvador (had a good alpine skiier who stopped racing suddenly). But that's very speculative that anything from them will happen, especially now.

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

:UGA Uganda's snowboarding guy will compete in the Winter Universiade next week, so that might be interesting to see him in action in a big competition :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

:UGA Uganda's snowboarding guy will compete in the Winter Universiade next week, so that might be interesting to see him in action in a big competition :)

So far he's quite behind in points. Would be great to see him perform.

By the way Uganda's the only country to have participated in the Winter Paralympics but not Olympics. Fun fact :p

5 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Algeria :ALG has a young alpine skiier who if she improves a lot could make it, and Khelifi their cross-country athlete could still be there, since he started about this late for qualifying for Sochi. Unfortunately they're not an ISU member so I don't see the figure skating thing happening for them :( 

Also I think we should add Qatar :QAT. I know it's a huge longshot, but they are trying in short track (and yes, even mixed doubles curling) and have about as much chance as say the Haitian alpine skiiers.

added :yes

On 23.01.2017. at 09:57, ahjfcshfghb said:

Also emailed a few other federations, South Africa said "there are 4 athletes trying to qualify, it is up to us to decide who to send", Tonga said "they are working tirelessly to get the athletes there", Tajikistan said "yes of course we will send our athletes" (even though none are qualified) and the guy from Nepal asked "Do you have any suggestions?" :d

I think :TGA Tonga can scratch Kasete-Naufahu Skeen. More than one minute behind the winner in his first giant slalom.

https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/results.html?sector=AL&raceid=87432

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, dcro said:

I think :TGA Tonga can scratch Kasete-Naufahu Skeen. More than one minute behind the winner in his first giant slalom.

https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/results.html?sector=AL&raceid=87432

Hmm... Yeah their cross country skiiers also are likely to be slow. Makaleta Stephan was over 10 minutes off at the Wch SPRINT.

And the other guy is a taekwondo player.

Any news on Bruno Banani?

4 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Hmm... Yeah their cross country skiiers also are likely to be slow. Makaleta Stephan was over 10 minutes off at the Wch SPRINT.

And the other guy is a taekwondo player.

Any news on Bruno Banani?

Apparently he hasn't competed since 2014 season.

Maybe the taekwondo player can do something, he does have an athletic background at least.

#banbestmen