website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Debuting, Coming Back, Returning and Missing Nations

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

11 people are ranked ahead of SGP in the women's 1500m standings... cutting it really close.

There where 14 non-relay qualifiers in the women's 1500m in Sochi and they where still four short of reaching the max total quota, while in Vancouver they had 15 non-relay qualifiers in the women's 1500m and they where seven short of reaching the max quota, so she's probably fine.

Edited by NearPup

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Is there an update on the Egypt/Jordan situations?

@ahjfcshfghb @thepharoah

Helmy told me his federation wouldn't let him unfortunately :( He is now going to try for 2022, which he said is his 'realistic' goal anyways. What has to happen is for a certain number of skiers to actually be active before the Egyptian Olympic body approves the federation. They did just build an indoor ski slope, so it's a start. I said he might be better off representing Algeria or Sudan or something and he said no, it's Egypt or nothing. 

As for Jordan I wrote them a couple of additional times, but they haven't replied. Since they weren't on your accreditation list, I doubt be possible for them to compete anyways. But again from their email they seemed 2022 was their objective.

Haiti wrote me back just now after 2 months (lol). And they have a 'secret project'!

Sorry to answer 2 months after your message but sometimes, with new technology, Emails are going in the wrong files.

We are just starting the new season so we pay more attention at this time.

Haiti will probably not compete in the 2018 Olympics. We could have Ski, but our only 2 racers who could have any chance (Benoit ETOC and Celine MARTI www.facebook.com/haitiski ) have difficulties to be present. We planned also to have a new winter sport for Haiti, skating but the Haitian winter spirit is too young to accept that. We have a skater (Maxime Billy FORTIN that took part to the French skating gala one year agowww.youtube.com/watch?v=u4u7qmYzZ58 ), but not the federation until now.

But:

In ski, we have some younger Haitians (until 13yo) that can maybe compete for Haiti. The best and closest goal could be LAUSANNE 2020, the young Olympics game. Then we can have also the skater. And we have also another secret project but we need a lot of money to develop it.

Best regards

Thierry MONTILLET

7 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Helmy told me his federation wouldn't let him unfortunately :( He is now going to try for 2022, which he said is his 'realistic' goal anyways. What has to happen is for a certain number of skiers to actually be active before the Egyptian Olympic body approves the federation. They did just build an indoor ski slope, so it's a start. I said he might be better off representing Algeria or Sudan or something and he said no, it's Egypt or nothing. 

As for Jordan I wrote them a couple of additional times, but they haven't replied. Since they weren't on your accreditation list, I doubt be possible for them to compete anyways. But again from their email they seemed 2022 was their objective.

Haiti wrote me back just now after 2 months (lol). And they have a 'secret project'!

Sorry to answer 2 months after your message but sometimes, with new technology, Emails are going in the wrong files.

We are just starting the new season so we pay more attention at this time.

Haiti will probably not compete in the 2018 Olympics. We could have Ski, but our only 2 racers who could have any chance (Benoit ETOC and Celine MARTI www.facebook.com/haitiski ) have difficulties to be present. We planned also to have a new winter sport for Haiti, skating but the Haitian winter spirit is too young to accept that. We have a skater (Maxime Billy FORTIN that took part to the French skating gala one year agowww.youtube.com/watch?v=u4u7qmYzZ58 ), but not the federation until now.

But:

In ski, we have some younger Haitians (until 13yo) that can maybe compete for Haiti. The best and closest goal could be LAUSANNE 2020, the young Olympics game. Then we can have also the skater. And we have also another secret project but we need a lot of money to develop it.

Best regards

Thierry MONTILLET

Secret project :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I now had it confirmed by the head of US bobsleigh that the IBSF have changed the qualification system slightly for 2018.

In 2014 they used a system where you had to be in the top 40 or 50 of the world rankings (depending on the event) to qualify for the Olympics,

In 2018 it's top 40 or 50 eligible crews of the world rankings. So USA no.4 or Germany's 4th best etc, are not counted for qualification rankings.

This is for bobsleigh and skeleton.

This is big news for Nigeria

Edited by Dragon

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

I now had it confirmed by the head of US bobsleigh that the IBSF have changed the qualification system slightly for 2018.

In 2014 they used a system where you had to be in the top 40 or 50 of the world rankings (depending on the event) to qualify for the Olympics,

In 2018 it's top 40 or 50 eligible crews of the world rankings. So USA no.4 or Germany's 4th best etc, are not counted for qualification rankings.

This is for bobsleigh and skeleton.

This is big news for Nigeria

So that explains the media reports that Nigeria qualified.