website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Debuting, Coming Back, Returning and Missing Nations

3 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Our athlete Vojtech Loudin qualified for the 1500m despite being ranked 52nd. (49th if you could extra athletes)

Must have been a lot of reallocations. Or I'm not understanding the system right. 

http://shorttrack.sportresult.com/Rankings.aspx?evt=11213100000003&rep=15127

Fun fact: Singapore actually had a quota in 2014 in 1000m. Similar qualification style to Goh. But the athlete wasn't very competitive. She did 500m in 58 seconds, so they probably rejected the quota.

Worth remembering that the world cup ranking is not what is used for Olympic qualification. For Vancouver and Sochi the added points from two of the world cups (I believe the last two of the season, but I don't remember 100%) where used.

For Pyeongchang while all four world cups are qualifying events only an athlete's / team's best three events count for each distance.

6 hours ago, Nate River said:

Worth remembering that the world cup ranking is not what is used for Olympic qualification. For Vancouver and Sochi the added points from two of the world cups (I believe the last two of the season, but I don't remember 100%) where used.

For Pyeongchang while all four world cups are qualifying events only an athlete's / team's best three events count for each distance.

Ah okay. That makes more sense!

Though in the WC ranking this year, they omit the lowest score anyway. 

Wait, media is suddenly reporting Nigeria has 100% qualified for the Olympics in bobsledding because they finished 5 races. Isn't there a bit more to it than that, like getting certain results?

https://nypost.com/2017/11/17/these-nigerian-women-are-africas-first-olympic-bobsled-team/

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wait, media is suddenly reporting Nigeria has 100% qualified for the Olympics in bobsledding because they finished 5 races. Isn't there a bit more to it than that, like getting certain results?

https://nypost.com/2017/11/17/these-nigerian-women-are-africas-first-olympic-bobsled-team/

They haven't secured it yet, but they are guaranteed to get an African continental quota as long as they stay within top 40 on the IBSF rankings.

#banbestmen

35 minutes ago, dcro said:

They haven't secured it yet, but they are guaranteed to get an African continental quota as long as they stay within top 40 on the IBSF rankings.

Had it confirmed to me that "top 40" means top 40 without counting teams that are not eligible to compete.

For instance the 4th best team from Germany or USA or Canada

That would move Nigeria from 41sr in the rankings to around 30th

11 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Had it confirmed to me that "top 40" means top 40 without counting teams that are not eligible to compete.

For instance the 4th best team from Germany or USA or Canada

That would move Nigeria from 41sr in the rankings to around 30th

Are you sure?

QS just says "top 40". :dunno:

#banbestmen

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Are you sure?

QS just says "top 40". :dunno:

I was told this by https://www.ashford.edu/online-learning-experience/student-success-stories/organizational-management-tuffield-latour who should know this :)

33 minutes ago, intoronto said:

:AZE will not compete in PyeongChang unfortunately (unless they randomly get someone else to qualify). Patrick Brachner retired :(

Well, they've never fielded an actual Azerbaijani, ever. Maybe they'll realize they have to actually start developing something in their own country instead of shopping for athletes. 

2 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Well, they've never fielded an actual Azerbaijani, ever. Maybe they'll realize they have to actually start developing something in their own country instead of shopping for athletes. 

The problem Azerbaijan has is that whenever they develop their own athlete they go abroad to represent another country xD

As for Bobsleigh, here is the quote from the document:
"Selected pilots must have been participating and ranked in a minimum of 5 IBSF races on at least 3 different tracks in the period between 15 October 2016 and 14 January 2018. In addition the pilot must have been ranked in at least 3 of the 5 above mentioned races on a minimum of 2 different tracks during the 2017/2018 season by 14 January 2018 and must have been ranked among the top 50 in the Twoman and Four-man or Top 40 in the Women’s Bobsleigh in the IBSF Ranking List per event (IBSF Discipline Ranking List) of the season 2017/2018 by 14 January 2018."

So maybe all you need is to have been in the top 40 at any point during the season?

Edited by NearPup