website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Debuting, Coming Back, Returning and Missing Nations

:SGP Cheyenne Goh did not advance out of the preliminaries in the women's 1500m.

Out of the athletes that advanced only 2 can pass her in points. This would put her into 36th position overall. The top 36 do qualify. Canada has 4 athletes ahead of her, so in fact she is ranked 35th. There is also an athlete from Italy who did not advance who might get more points in the standings, which would drop her to 36th.

So worst case scenario is she will be ranked 36th??? So that means she has unofficially qualified for PyeongChang 2018, and will be come the first Singaporean to compete in the Winter Olympics :champion:

PS. I hope I am not wrong...

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

:SGP Cheyenne Goh did not advance out of the preliminaries in the women's 1500m.

Out of the athletes that advanced only 2 can pass her in points. This would put her into 36th position overall. The top 36 do qualify. Canada has 4 athletes ahead of her, so in fact she is ranked 35th. There is also an athlete from Italy who did not advance who might get more points in the standings, which would drop her to 36th.

So worst case scenario is she will be ranked 36th??? So that means she has unofficially qualified for PyeongChang 2018, and will be come the first Singaporean to compete in the Winter Olympics :champion:

I think you are right!

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

From what it looked like I think she got lucky and everyone in front of her in Shanghai fell. But that’s part of sport and it’s great for her.

9 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

From what it looked like I think she got lucky and everyone in front of her in Shanghai fell. But that’s part of sport and it’s great for her.

Lol, that's some Steven Bradbury qualification!

#banbestmen

9 hours ago, dcro said:

Lol, that's some Steven Bradbury qualification!

wDVS8TZ.jpg

Yeah Goh was like 10 seconds behind in the semifinal, so she wouldn’t have been close otherwise. There must have been four people battling and Warakomska brings down two of them. :d 

Sport is so funny sometimes.

1 hour ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

wDVS8TZ.jpg

Yeah Goh was like 10 seconds behind in the semifinal, so she wouldn’t have been close otherwise. There must have been four people battling and Warakomska brings down two of them. :d 

Sport is so funny sometimes.

I've been talking with someone who works for NBC in America,

This is what he said

"It's way more complicated than that. Because only 60 women can compete at the Games - and 40 of those spots are taken up by athletes on relay teams - there are only 20 spots remaining for athletes like Goh. It's possible she'll get bumped due to the quota capacity. In other words, it's better to be ranked 40th (and a member of a country with a relay team) than 32nd (and not a member of a relay)."

23 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I've been talking with someone who works for NBC in America,

This is what he said

"It's way more complicated than that. Because only 60 women can compete at the Games - and 40 of those spots are taken up by athletes on relay teams - there are only 20 spots remaining for athletes like Goh. It's possible she'll get bumped due to the quota capacity. In other words, it's better to be ranked 40th (and a member of a country with a relay team) than 32nd (and not a member of a relay)."

Well, looks like there were even some unused athlete places in 2014, as only 116 athletes were entered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_track_speed_skating_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_–_Qualification

#banbestmen

37 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, looks like there were even some unused athlete places in 2014, as only 116 athletes were entered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_track_speed_skating_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_–_Qualification

Our athlete Vojtech Loudin qualified for the 1500m despite being ranked 52nd. (49th if you could extra athletes)

Must have been a lot of reallocations. Or I'm not understanding the system right. 

http://shorttrack.sportresult.com/Rankings.aspx?evt=11213100000003&rep=15127

Fun fact: Singapore actually had a quota in 2014 in 1000m. Similar qualification style to Goh. But the athlete wasn't very competitive. She did 500m in 58 seconds, so they probably rejected the quota.

Edited by ahjfcshfghb