website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Debuting, Coming Back, Returning and Missing Nations

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on Puerto Rico :PUR 

Emailed the ski federation and they said:

Thank you for your e-mail.

At this time, it is unlikely that we will be sending any athletes to the OWG in 2018; however, that situation may change in the coming months.

It has to do with the Puerto Rico Olympic Committee’s staunch refusal to send any athletes to the OWG since 2002, when certain members of our bobsled team were determined to be ineligible to participate for Puerto Rico. We are working to resolve this issue, as the people responsible for that scandal have not been involved with winter sports in Puerto Rico for many years.

So maybe a ray of hope there.

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

Also emailed a few other federations, South Africa said "there are 4 athletes trying to qualify, it is up to us to decide who to send", Tonga said "they are working tirelessly to get the athletes there", Tajikistan said "yes of course we will send our athletes" (even though none are qualified) and the guy from Nepal asked "Do you have any suggestions?" :d

1 hour ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Also emailed a few other federations, South Africa said "there are 4 athletes trying to qualify, it is up to us to decide who to send", Tonga said "they are working tirelessly to get the athletes there", Tajikistan said "yes of course we will send our athletes" (even though none are qualified) and the guy from Nepal asked "Do you have any suggestions?" :d

Cool :d

I suppose that Tajikistan will eventually send some skiers to FIS races in Russia or Turkey. Just don't know if they will be good enough.

#banbestmen

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

Cool :d

I suppose that Tajikistan will eventually send some skiers to FIS races in Russia or Turkey. Just don't know if they will be good enough.

We'll see at the Asian Winter Games, I guess.

The Afghans are going to compete at the World Championships, by the way. They raced in FIS races though and they're about 300 points behind the target. 

Never say never?

29 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

The Afghans are going to compete at the World Championships, by the way. They raced in FIS races though and they're about 300 points behind the target. 

Never say never?

The Afghans will also participate in the upcoming Winter Universiade, as their guy wrote to me when I e-mailed them about the Universiade :p (he also sent me 'warm greetings from Afghanistan, dear friend', so, go Afghanistan!) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

The Afghans will also participate in the upcoming Winter Universiade, as their guy wrote to me when I e-mailed them about the Universiade :p (he also sent me 'warm greetings from Afghanistan, dear friend', so, go Afghanistan!) 

Looks like they will  have women skiiers there :yes

http://astanatimes.com/2016/03/afghanistan-confirms-participation-in-winter-universiade-2017/

2 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Nice :d 

It's about time someone opens a thread for the Winter Universiade I suppose :evil:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Never say never?

Being 300 points behind the target really suggests that they don't have any chance (at least those two who competed so far). That's unless they qualify in some bogus races like Vanessa Mae. :d

#banbestmen