website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Debuting, Coming Back, Returning and Missing Nations

• 2 weeks later...

Algeria might have a chance in Slopestyle Snowboarding. French guy failed to qualify for Sochi and changed to Algeria, has Algerian origins (I checked, the name is Algerian. Lol)

https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/athlete-biography.html?sector=SB&listid=&competitorid=103280&type=result

Seems he's a bit down the reallocation list, though.

What I don't understand is how Slopestyle and Big Air seem to have the same qualifying quotas? 

https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/olympic-quotas-list.html?sectorcode=sb&listid=2018&nationcode=&disciplinecode=SS-BA&Search=search

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a possibly helpful guide to which debuting/returning/otherwise unlikely (unsure of qualification) countries we may see and how likely it is we'll see them:

(Estimates are my own. Only countries with currently active athletes registered with their respective bodies are included.)

Alpine Skiing:

:BOL  >95%

:COL  >95%
:ERI >95%

:KEN >95%

:KOS >95%

:MAD >95%

:MAS >95%

:TLS >95%

:TOG >95%

:THA >95%

:RSA 90% (you never know)

:HKG 80%

:ISV 80%

:VEN 70%

:TJK 40%

:AFG 20-30%

:CAY 20% (qualified, but unlikely to go)

:ALG 15%

:PUR 10% (qualified, but near-impossible to go)

:NEP 10%

:PRK 10%

:JOR 5%

:SEN 5%

:ZIM 5% (in the unlikely event he resumes competition he should get in)

:DOM 3%

:URU 1%

:HAI 0.1%

:VIE 0.01%

Cross-Country Skiing:

:THA >95%

:TOG >95%

:BER 95%

:DMA 95%

:ECU 55%

:PRK 35%

:NEP 30%

:TTO 30%

:VEN 25%

:EGY 25%

:ALG 10% (unsure if active, but did start competing on short notice before Sochi)

:COL 5%

:SRI 5%

:TGA 2%

Freestyle Skiing:

:PAR 30%

:BER 20%

:CRC 20%

:BAR 15%

:IVB 5% (could maybe make it if he decided to, but it is unlikely)

Snowboarding:

:ALG 30%

:UGA 5%

Figure Skating:

:SGP 60%

:MAS 60%

:PRK 40%

:HKG 30%

:UAE 5%

Speed Skating:

:COL 75%

:PRK 40%

Short Track:

:PRK 75%

:MAS 35%

:HKG 30%

:SGP 30%

:COL 30%

:INA 10%

:QAT 0.01%

Bobsleigh:

:NGR 65%

:JAM 55%

:PAN 1% (they did say they'd come back sometime...)

Skeleton:

:GHA 35%

:ISV 25%

Luge:

:TGA 30% (active, but has said he's struggling with funding to get to 2018)

Edited by ahjfcshfghb
Added Virgin Islands in Skeleton, Jordan and Dominican Republic in Alpine Skiing and Indonesia in Short Track. Also adjusted numbers a little and added some real outsiders.

37 minutes ago, dcro said:

:PHI should likely qualify in alpine skiing.

Meanwhille, chance for :UAE to qualify in women's figure skating is next to impossible.

She will compete at the Olympic qualification event. But yeah it's a long shot. 10% is quite generous.

Isn't there that Tongan-British guy in alpine skiing who's trying to qualify, or did he give up already? I forgot his name, some dude with 70kg of hair on his head.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Isn't there that Tongan-British guy in alpine skiing who's trying to qualify, or did he give up already? I forgot his name, some dude with 70kg of hair on his head.

Ah, yes, the one that's been getting 500 FIS points in couple of races he tried. :p He doesn't have "active" remark on his FIS bio so I guess he gave up (despite having a gofund me page or something).

#banbestmen

7 hours ago, dcro said:

Ah, yes, the one that's been getting 500 FIS points in couple of races he tried. :p He doesn't have "active" remark on his FIS bio so I guess he gave up (despite having a gofund me page or something).

Yup. Think he has. Shame about the Cayman Islander too, he could have been quite competitive. He's dropped out though since he's starting a virtual reality business that fixes eye disorders!

For those of you interested in the Puerto Rico situation they sent me this:

The guidelines to participate are highly subjective. 

Because all Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, the Puerto Rico Olympic Committee is very sensitive to mainland U.S. persons using them as a back door into the Olympics. In an Olympic year, I typically get a couple of e-mails from people who think our federation is some sort of sports fantasy camp, and promise to “promote” Puerto Rico if they go to the Olympics. So, to answer your question, with the current political environment, a prospective Olympic competitor for Puerto Rico would have to be born on the island, have multi-generational Puerto Rican ancestry, and be somewhat of a threat to win a medal. We had a native-born 50-point slalom skier who should have gone to both Vancouver and Sochi; however, because she was more American than Puerto Rican, they wouldn’t send her.

Charles Flaherty is definitely American. His family are bona-fide residents of Puerto Rico, but he’s still facing an uphill battle to go to Korea. We hope he can convince the Puerto Rico Olympic Committee (COPUR) to send him, but nobody is holding their breath… :-/

David Steele