website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2017

rybak

3 hours ago, rybak said:

Here is live stream to Opening Ceremony starting on 20 minutes!

LOL and on top of the three shows being geoblocked here in the US, the opening ceremony is also geoblocked, but thankfully I just set up VPN on my Chrome Browser.

30 minut temu, dezbee2008 napisał:

LOL and on top of the three shows being geoblocked here in the US, the opening ceremony is also geoblocked, but thankfully I just set up VPN on my Chrome Browser.

You have Logo TV? As I know this channel will broadcast all three shows in USA.

13 hours ago, rybak said:

You have Logo TV? As I know this channel will broadcast all three shows in USA.

Yes, I have Logo TV, and no, I will not watch it. They're only broadcasting the final yet Eurovision loves Americans to be oblivious and block off all access to the semi finals. :lol: I ain't stupid, I know there are 42 countries competing and not 26, and 42 is the number of performances I want to see. Oh well, VPN saved my ass today for sure.

My thoughts on the second 1/2 after the rehearsals. I find it harder to choose the qualifiers from this one. Nearly all countries seem on an even playing field for a qualification, which is good about the intrigue. Nevertheless, here are my predictions.

Certain qualifiers:

Bulgaria - Nothing personal with this pick, i'm not that big of a fan of the song tbh. :d But it has been an early favourite from the beginning and it will have no problem getting to the final. The staging isn't as good, as anticipated, but i'd fancy our chances for another top 10(5) place in the final. The juries will love the song, and without Russia in the contest, Kristian would probably be getting the russian vote, given his origin.

Romania -  One of my favourite songs, which would bring big televote results with it's unique and happy vibe and staging. That alone will get them a place in the final, even with the jury snubbing them hard. It will stand out immensely.

Denmark - Great singer and voice, and has a very good draw. In the sea of ballads, i think this one will get the upper-hand and overshadow Hungary and Ireland around it. It will have a nice blend of jury and televote, i can't see how it doesn't qualify.

Belarus - The song was so meh, since it was released, but they have done a magical thing with the staging. In a year with big bland stagings, this is undoubtedly one of the best and suits the song to perfection. I have hardly seen any complains about Belarus.

Austria - Like Belarus, a staging that has done wonders for a mediocre song. The second position is usually a killer in the starting order, but this time it's actually a blessing, since it's the only compeling performance in the first 4. A country that i'd never thought could qualify, managed to get to one of my secured picks. 

Likely qualifiers:

The Netherlands - I wouldn't say jury bait, but this would probably do better with the juries than with the public. The girls are the best part of the performance and i think the staging could be seen a little boring for the televoters.

Estonia - Such a good song, but i feel they could have done a better job with the camera angles for the staging. It will probably get through, but i'm not so confident, as i would have liked. Lately i'm really thinking it could get overshadowed by Lithuania before them.

Norway - A very unique staging and camera angles, that will get people's attention. I think that people, who don't usually vote, may give this entry some push. Norway almost never misses the final and last year was an anomaly i reckon.

Israel - If it were to me, this wouldn't qualify, because i find it so bland and generic. I hope things being so close in this 1/2, tips it out, but being the last artist seen by the public, would give them an advantage. If it was in the first half, it would have gotten lost. Also don't think juries would have it between their first choices and save them like last year, solely on that. A true borderliner for me.

Croatia - Yes, i have Jacques and his cooky staging in the final :p We have every year one shocking and unexpected qualifier and i'm betting on this one. Everything is memorable about the performance and people would definately not forget it. Don't know how juries would react to it, but the guy has some real singing abilities, unlike some other artist. 

Likely non-qualifiers:

Hungary - A country that everyone has qualifying, based solely on their ethnic song, but i think that would actually go against them. The juries would give it a push, but i don't think the public will relate to it. The chorus is quite repetitive and the staging doesn't wow you. For me that one song that everyone thinks will get through and are surprised when it doesn't is Hungary this year.

Serbia - It's quite shocking that a stable country like Serbia messed up so much with this years entry. Nothing falls into place here, from the singing, to the staging. EBU definately didn't expect this when they put them to open the 1/2. If this wasn't Serbia i would have them as a certain non-qualifier, but with them getting votes by default you never know. Last year Sanja with a much better entry barely squeaked in the final, so this shouldn't.

Switzerland - They have gone overboard with the staging here, it doesn't suit the song. I would never know what is the reasoning behind the bright disney colours. Their NF staging was better. It has such an unfavourable running order. It's sandwitched between Croatia, Norway and Belarus, all of whom have different stagings and Switzerlands could fall in the background as too ordinary. I like the song and Miruna is amazing, i would gladly swap it for Israel, but i don't think, when everything is set and done, they'd qualify for the final.

Lithuania - This has come a long way. From being touted as the worst song this year, to doing actually a very good staging, to actually seeing some people saying that they could qualify. It's definately a different performance, it's in the end of the order, but i think it's far too late for Lithuania to make the jump.

Certain non-qualifiers:

Macedonia - This is a classic example of a song that has views on youtube, people listen to it on their phones, in the car, but when it goes live for a concert, it completely lacks power and is a non-factor. A typical generic pop song. The staging follows the theme of "dance alone", but it comes out like nothing is going on. Comming after Austria it would look like cheap and unimaginary.

Ireland - I actually think they have done a better job than the last couple of years, but it still wouldn't be enough. Murray doesn't feel right for the contest, and if they wanted to grab the teenage vote, it backfired with having Bulgaria in this semifinal. Even if juries made a push for it, i don't see enough people voting for it to qualify. 

Malta - Forgettable. Even if she sings beautifully, like in the rehearsals, there is nothing that would make people vote for it. It lacks that flair and passion needed to go through.

San Marino - Everything about this is fun, i would be pretty happy if it somehow, someway, managed to qualify, just because of the lolz. The meltdown would be glorious. Maybe if it was 10-15 years ago, it would do good, but now, when everything is pushed to be contemporary and innovative and everything else is slammed, no way Jose. See you next year Valentina. :)

Em 5/7/2017 at 17:45, rybak disse:

Oh, it's opening ceremony today, two days left until first semifinal and Salvador from Portugal still not arrived to Kiev :facepalm:

He has heart problems, we werent even sure if he would be allowed by his doctor to participate on the contest......

1 godzinę temu, kungshamra71 napisał:

He has heart problems, we werent even sure if he would be allowed by his doctor to participate on the contest......

I wrote this in moment when car with Portuguese delegation arrived to red carpet and all waited for Salvador as he was expected to be there, he come bit later. I know whole story, respect to him that after all he will be compete in this contest. Good luck to him and :POR tomorrow!