website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Which are the most popular names in your country?

DaniSRB

1 minute ago, OlympicIRL said:

I had a housemate called Andrea who was a girl but she called herself Andi (which most often is used for boys - Andy).... all very confusing :d

We have an Italian e-rasmus student in our Italian class and his name is Andrea, which globally is known as a female name, but in Lithuania we have a male version of this name Andrėjus, which stems from the Russian language Andrej.

7 minutes ago, hckosice said:

That feeling when only 1 country in this map is named by another country name :lol: One would think we are actually occupied ? :d

edit: just realized also about Moldova :d

I guess that canoe slalom is in our blood, we just need to realize that. :evil::lol:

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

In Mexico, the most common names were Juan and José (for boys) and Maria (for girls), both often followed by Guadalupe ("Lupe" or Lupita") as middle name (Think for example about the case about Lupita Nyongo, born in Mexico City)

Now according to the National Population Registry's Bureau, these were the top 10 names last year:

Girls:  Sofía, Camila, Valentina, Isabella, Ximena, Natalia, Mía, María Fernanda, Nicole, Melanie.

Boys:  José Luis, Miguel Ángel, José Francisco, Jesús Antonio, Alejandro, Juan Carlos, Ricardo, Daniel, Fernando, Jorge.

Yet, I read that  in the state of Nuevo León (one of the largest in the country) tthere's been a grow from 1990 until now were Britany, Kevin and Brayan (yes, that's how they usually spell it in Mexico :facepalm:)

About the most common surname, I'm pretty sure it's Hernández, which means son of Hernán or Hernando, itself a variation of Fernando (Ferdinand)