website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018

Gianlu33

I view the YOG as a more relaxed and fun Olympics, with opportunities for smaller nations and big nations to do well. I rather enjoy watching them. I am mildly pleased with the format of qualification, besides the one team rule.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Some sports are fine and actually do a good job in getting most of their top athletes to compete, but others are quite terrible due to the type of events or the number of athletes allowed.

I'll create a list of changes the IOC can make to increase the competition level of the games.

Changes to the Youth Olympic program

The big change will be an increase of athletes. One thing that hurt a lot of sports is the lack of quotas given to them. Of course some sports will have a reduction of events to prevent the number of athletes competing from getting too large. My goal was to keep it under 4500 athletes, currently 4000 are expected to compete. In total 456 more athletes would compete in my proposal. Cycling sees an increase of events (due to splitting team events) while boxing, taekwondo, weightlifting and wrestling see a decrease (mostly because those events had so few athletes). Also, the maximum number of athletes rule will be removed. If a nation is good enough to qualify a lot of athletes then they should be able to send them.

Sports with no changes (+0 athletes)

Archery

Badminton

Basketball

Beach volleyball

Dancesport

Equestrian

Gymnastics

Karate

Modern pentathlon

Roller sports

Sailing

Shooting

Sport climbing

Table tennis

Tennis

Triathlon

Aquatics (Diving) (+0 athletes)

Allow nations to qualify a maximum of 2 men and 2 women, 1 per each event.

Aquatics (Swimming) (+40 athletes)

The top 12 athletes in each event will qualify with a maximum of 1 athlete per NOC, should an athlete be ranked in more than one event they will be listed under the event where they have the highest FINA points. Qualified athletes may participate in other events should they achieve the A standard with a maximum of 2 athletes per event. 40 boys and 40 girls quotas will be reserved for nations with no qualified athlete where they may send 1 boy or 1 girl, with those with higher FINA points gaining priority. Relays will be composed of athletes already qualified in individual events.

Athletics (+32 athletes)

Athletes already qualified may participate in other events should they achieve the A standard (with a maximum of 2 athletes per event). Cross-country will have their own qualifiers.

Beach Handball (+40 athletes)

Each event will have 12 teams, no one team per gender rule.

Boxing (-5 events) (+46 athletes)

Only 5 boys and 3 girls events will be held, each event will contain 16 athletes. Each nation can qualify one athlete per event.

Canoeing (+48 athletes)

Athletes will not have to compete in both disciplines. 16 per boat will compete in sprint while 12 per boat will compete in slalom (not an obstacle course). Nations can qualify one athlete per event.

Cycling (+8 events) (+8 athletes)

The combined team will be split into individual events. The same athletes will compete in the two events of their discipline; road (time trial and criterium) and cross-country (race and eliminator). The BMX race and freestyle events will have separate boy and girl events. 12 athletes will compete in BMX freestyle.

Fencing (+18 athletes)

Each event will have 16 athletes.

Field hockey (+0 athletes)

No one team per gender rule.

Futsal (+40 athletes)

Each event will have 12 teams, no one team per gender rule.

Golf (+0 athletes)

Qualification will be separated by gender. The top ranked athletes of each gender will qualify.

Judo (+24 athletes)

Each individual event will have 16 athletes. Each nation can qualify one athlete per event.

Rowing (+0 athletes)

Each nation can qualify one boat in each event.

Rugby sevens (+48 athletes)

Each event will have 8 teams, no one team per gender rule.

Taekwondo (-2 events) (+28 athletes)

Only 4 boys and 4 girls events will be held, each event will have 16 athletes. Each nation can qualify one athlete per event.

Weightlifting (-2 events) (+10 athletes)

Only 5 boys and 5 girls events will be held, each event will have 12 athletes. Qualification will match the 2020 Olympics, where athletes qualify themselves through the world championships and continental events. Each nation can qualify one athlete per event.

Wrestling (-3 events) (+82 athletes)

Only 4 boys freestyle, 4 boys Greco-Roman and 4 girls freestyle events will be held, each event will have 16 athletes. Each nation can qualify one athlete per event.

Under your format I don’t see as many nations qualifying for the YOG. I also don’t think events should cut, but that quotas should be increased to 5000. Lastly, I would keep the universality spots and format and the games would be hosted by the previous Summer Olympic Games host as part of its venue legacy

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I wouldn't be so sure of that, sports like boxing and wrestling have so few quotas per event that the increase will likely add more nations, despite the bigger ones getting the ability to qualify more athletes. Swimming likely becomes less diverse though.

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Under your format I don’t see as many nations qualifying for the YOG. I also don’t think events should cut, but that quotas should be increased to 5000. Lastly, I would keep the universality spots and format and the games would be hosted by the previous Summer Olympic Games host as part of its venue legacy

I agree with him. I can't imagine Japan clean sweeping girl's wrestling and Russia and Iran dominate men's side. It will be boring to see only few top nations contest medals and even team events. It's a fun filled atmosphere for the games and it should remain like that.