website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018

Gianlu33

Our flagbearer at the opening won a bronze-medal bout in boxing. Now, I hate boxing, but I sympathize with the kid: he had a lot of pressure on him, first for being the flagbearer, and second because he's the grandson of Servílio de Oliveira, who won the first Olympic medal in boxing for Brazil (a bronze medal in 1968). The biggest media coverage in Brazil around the YOG was about him, so I can imagine how hard it must have been for the poor kid. (Professinal) Boxing was huge when I was younger, and even today it has its loyal supporters in Brazil (especially in the Northeastern region of the country).

So, we'll end up with 13 medals (11 medals now + 2 finals, one in boxing and one in futsal), a surprising number considering I expected 5 medal at most before the Games started. It's nice to see youth sport is not dead in Brazil.

12 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

XLwvv.jpg.7eda1485ebb55d708aced617177b3a3d.jpg

:d if I'm not wrong he made the headlines at the time for having the longest surname ever at the Olympics. as I said before there is not a single report in Iran naming him anything beside Mohammadpour . again they forgot a space.

btw now he is famous for something else beside his name. he became Olympic Champion few years later ! while finished 5th in actual tournament. but top 4 tested positive for drugs. he will receive his medal after 6 years .and 2 years ago I was the first person contacting him telling him that. even though he didn't believe me in first place :d

2 minutos atrás, MHSN disse:

btw now he is famous for something else beside his name. he became Olympic Champion few years later ! while finished 5th in actual tournament. but top 4 tested positive for drugs. he will receive his medal after 6 years .and 2 years ago I was the first person contacting him telling him that. even though he didn't believe me in first place :d

Nice! There's hope for Fernando Reis, then. :cool: He finished 5th at the 2016 Summer Olympics, and both the gold and silver medalists had been banned for doping before, so... Just joking. :banana:

In all honesty, even though weightlifting has zero visibility in Brazil, it's still nice to watch and it's easy to get easily excited about. But I always have the impression I'm being deceived, so I don't even force myself to watch it anymore. Some nations should be banned for 10 years or more from this sport.

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

:d if I'm not wrong he made the headlines at the time for having the longest surname ever at the Olympics. as I said before there is not a single report in Iran naming him anything beside Mohammadpour . again they forgot a space.

I think it's because of the passport, since the names in multievent strictly follows the name stated there. Recently during the Asian Games, some of our athletes got "name changes" to match their passports.

I am somewhat annoyed that not all culture can get their name displayed correctly, such as Indonesian/Indian athletes with one word name got them repeated or the super long Iranian surname which is actually just missing a space.

16 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

I think it's because of the passport, since the names in multievent strictly follows the name stated there. Recently during the Asian Games, some of our athletes got "name changes" to match their passports.

I am somewhat annoyed that not all culture can get their name displayed correctly, such as Indonesian/Indian athletes with one word name got them repeated or the super long Iranian surname which is actually just missing a space.

yes, I think I wrote about that in another thread. of course this came from their passports. most of these athletes ask for passport when they are teenager (or even before that) and they give them a form to write their name in English. and some people make mistakes like this. they don't think putting a space is necessary. there should be autocorrect system or something like that.

beside that. most people would officially drop these long 2nd parts if it wasn't a long process . still I know some people do that. the 2nd part is usually an uncommon word. for example I never heard the word "Karkaragh" before knowing this guy !

but I see some more professional international federations fix Iranian names themselves. for example IJF, they always use the "correct name" for our Judokas.

Edited by MHSN

in Karate Refs look very determined to give all gold medals to Japan today. they are great indeed but they have outside help as well. they disqualified the Macedonian athlete in boys 61kg semifinal and girl's 59kg semifinal between Iran and Japan finished 0-0 went to Hantei and of course 3 refs (out of 5) gave it to Japan. :( to me Iranian girl deserved it more but well I'm very much biased here.

2 bronze medals in first day of Karate. pretty disappointing :(

PS: and I never understood what's wrong with having extra time in karate ?! :wall:

Edited by MHSN