website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018

Gianlu33

both freestyle wrestlers made it to the final :yes medal number 9th and 10th for Iran.

Zare had easy draw and teched both of his opponents. no surprise he will be favorite for the gold in final against Russia but Karimi surprised me first negatively then positively ! first he almost lost the Egyptian kid. beat him only by 1pt ! and since the American wrestler beat Egypt easily I thought there is no chance for Karimi but then he teched the American guy 10-0 in first period :yikes: these kids are indeed unpredictable. he will be up in the final against Azerbaijan. he lost to the same wrestler at the World Champs few months ago.

I expect 1 gold and 1 silver for today. but I hope for 2 gold obviously :d

@MHSN I have two kind of random questions: what's the order of surnames in Iran and which one is the most important?

For example, Portuguese and Spanish speaking nations usually construct names like this: first name + name of the family of the mother + name of the family of the father. But the most important surname is different: In Spanish speaking countries, a "shorter" version of one's name is first name + name of the family of the mother, while in Portuguese speaking nations it is first name + name of the family of the father.

I'm asking this because I updated wikipedia and I credited the medal to the Iranian gymnast as Reza Hajlari, but someone changed it to Reza Bohloulzade.

2 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

@MHSN I have two kind of random questions: what's the order of surnames in Iran and which one is the most important?

For example, Portuguese and Spanish speaking nations usually construct names like this: first name + name of the family of the mother + name of the family of the father. But the most important surname is different: In Spanish speaking countries, a "shorter" version of one's name is first name + name of the family of the mother, while in Portuguese speaking nations it is first name + name of the family of the father.

I'm asking this because I updated wikipedia and I credited the medal to the Iranian gymnast as Reza Hajlari, but someone changed it to Reza Bohloulzade.

The system of naming in Iran is exactly the same as western countries. only first name and surname (which comes from father). nothing from the mother's family name

BUT sometimes surnames are more than one part. in this case people only and only use the first part because the second part is usually something uncommon and weird for example in this case. you can't find even one report in Iran mention him as Hajlari or Bohloulzadeh-hajlari. he is just Bohloulzade (there should be a H at the end too) probably his grand grand father comes from a village "Hajlar"

Iranians didn't use surnames like some other middle eastern countries (Pakistan for example) but almost 100 years ago the former king of Iran (Reza Shah) trying to westernize Iran forced everybody to pick a surname. and most people also put their village/town at the end of their surnames. this is only used for official documents . people NEVER use that in their normal life. of course there are some exceptions . some people prefer to use the 2nd part of their surnames. but in 99% cases this is just the first part.

5 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

@MHSN you think Mexican wrestler has a good shot at bronze against the one from Egypt?

our wrestling team is a total trash , so he has a chance ofc , but i think our wrestler will win :d

Edited by thepharoah