website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018

Gianlu33

47.85 100 freestyle split for Kolesnikov :d With a 'flying start' though this time so probably around the same as his 48.0 as lead swimmer earlier

The commentator was a bit annoying, going over the top of enthousiasm at Kolesnikov making up so much ground....well yeah, the by far best 100 free swimmer of these Youth Olympics was swimming against two 'alright' female swimmers, of course he is gonna make up a huge amount of time.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

this is already the best YOG for Iran in term of medals. we had 5 medals in 2010 (2 gold) and 6 in 2014 (3 gold) now we already have 5 gold and 1 silver.  and I'm almost sure about one more gold in freestyle wrestling. and there is still Karate with 5 medal chances for Iran. (plus one possible medal in weightlifting) not a surprise Iran dominated 2018 World Youth Championship in Taekwondo and Wrestling (both Greco and freestyle)

BUT I'm disappointed about other sports results. it looks like we will never improve in some sports :( this is really disappointing to win medals always in only 3 sports (this time 4 because of Karate) even at the YOG :facepalm: our swimmer finished 28th which is OK result for itself but the problem is this guy is a member of Iran senior team as well and participated at the Asian Games a month ago. in other word the best swimmer in Iran can't even make it to the semifinal at the Youth Olympics ! :facepalm: at least last time in Nanjing we had a gold medal in Judo. here It's almost a sure thing we won't win any medal outside of those 3+1 sports.

6 ore fa, JoshMartini007 ha scritto:

Timing becomes a bit of an issue. Extending the Olympics to a third week would help quite a bit

it would make it very difficult to follow, then...it's already not easy at all isolating from the rest of the world for 16 days to watch the entire Games...doing it for 22/23 days would be absolutely impossible...

the perfect solution is reducing the whole schedule by getting rid of some sports which have too much doping problems and/or they are only in hands of a bunch of biased (if not corrupted) judges (Boxing, Weightlifting, Artistic Swimming and circus stuff like Trampoline Gymnastics or all the new farcical mixed events)...:evil:

6 ore fa, intoronto ha scritto:

That would increase operational costs. The way to do it is perhaps having more sessions per day/reducing competition days for some sports that could share venues. 

Weightlifting has 14 weights, you could do that competition within 5 days now for ex. 

but this would hurt hardcore fans who want to watch as many events in as many sports as they can...

how could I watch let's say some weightlifting if I already have to watch 3 or 4 fencing events on the same day? and should I put aside all the swimming and athletics program because on the same day there are 14 consecutive hours of Judo or Wrestling?

no, thanks...

actually, I'd like to spread even more the single disciplines (with 1, max 2 events per day on the most days as possible), so to be able to watch almost everything, but just a bit of everything everyday (for more days)...:p

21 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

47.85 100 freestyle split for Kolesnikov :d With a 'flying start' though this time so probably around the same as his 48.0 as lead swimmer earlier

The commentator was a bit annoying, going over the top of enthousiasm at Kolesnikov making up so much ground....well yeah, the by far best 100 free swimmer of these Youth Olympics was swimming against two 'alright' female swimmers, of course he is gonna make up a huge amount of time.

no, it would be around 48.5/48.6 ("the instructions" say that you need to add 6 to 8/10s of a second to flying starts to have a comparable time with a start from the block, depending on what's the reaction time of the flying start)...

I think Argentina is doing a good job as a host, but i got absolutely no excitement for this event. The level in many/most sports is absurd, how many medallists in swimming/athletics from here would have won medals at the 2014 youth olympic games with their performances? Probably not many ...

Of course the fact that this event takes place so late in the year might have something to do with it. The one athlete per nation rule, the absence of many elite talents (mainly fromt the US) and the small fields in many events certainly hurt the level of competition. I am sure that it will get even worse in 2022, so maybe at least 2020 will see a higher level of comeptition.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 50 minutos, OlympicsFan said:

how many medallists in swimming/athletics from here would have won medals at the 2014 youth olympic games with their performances? Probably not many ...

Well, I compared the gold medalists in swimming and 2018 "wins" 19-16. We will see athletics.

18 minutes ago, dareza said:

YOG is not all about medals. For example. Tijana Bogdanovic lost in 1/4 after that she won Olympic silver 2016. Majdov lost in 1/4 after that he became world senior champion.

Junior competition in general isn't all about medals, but in general it does help if you're good already :p

Although yes, plenty of great juniors in any random sport don't really make it in the seniors and plenty of great seniors weren't that impressive in the juniors.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, phelps said:

no, it would be around 48.5/48.6 ("the instructions" say that you need to add 6 to 8/10s of a second to flying starts to have a comparable time with a start from the block, depending on what's the reaction time of the flying start)...

Still makes him way better than every other swimmer these Youth Olympics in the 100 free :d

15 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Still makes him way better than every other swimmer these Youth Olympics in the 100 free :d

definitely, yes...

however, Ceccon swam 48.7 less than 2 months ago, despite flopping badly in the 100m free heats this time in Buenos Aires (I guess he was still a bit tired after all the races he had this week and the double semi+final -with double medal- from the night before in the 50m free + 50m back)...so, he could have at least made things more interesting (and probably he could have been better than Minakov, if only he didn't waste his chances in the heats) also in this event...

by the way, it's clear that Kolesnov swims in another class right now compared to those guys and I don't know how useful for him was his participation at tehse YOGs...